New Words

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
    But what does the word MEAN? What is its etymology? Christ - ingle...?
    Christ's Light? The Meaning of Christingle
    Perhaps like Inglenook?

Comment

In scots, an ingle is a fire and a neuk is a corner, fire possibly coming from the Gaelic-aingeal. Not sure if that marries with your ingle nook

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
        threw me into a state of discombobulation anyways
        I suffer pericombobulation after too many glasses of pear cider hic
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          In scots, an ingle is a fire and a neuk is a corner, fire possibly coming from the Gaelic-aingeal. Not sure if that marries with your ingle nook
          Like Mothhawk, I'm trying to understand the derivation of Christ-ingle - and if its supposed to mean Christ's Light then all I can relate it to is your "Ingle" or fire.
          I have to admit that I used to think the churchgoers were saying Chris Tingle........

Comment

The derivation is Moravian so central european. Nor sure how that interplays with gaelic.

Comment

When I were "the lad" working at the local blacksmith's I was told that the "ingle" was the fire & the "nook" was a seat built into the side/s of the fireplace.

As seen to the left in pic below

thus the "inglenook" in the pic below is actually only an ingle,having no nook.

Now if only there was a way I could earn a living out of all the accumulated useless infornation I have accumulated *sigh*
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                Now if only there was a way I could earn a living out of all the accumulated useless infornation I have accumulated *sigh*
                What about educator and entertainer to the Vine? Sadly its unpaid, but if you could put a value to appreciation you'd be a millionaire

Comment

We walk to the local church on Christmas Eve. The christingle service is a lovely Christmassy bit of church......the local vicar is a real character. A lovely man.

Sadly......sort of.....we do not go to church at any other time. I like the community and the stories though.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

The church in our village still calls it a 'candlelit service', which describes perfectly what it is. 'Christingle' sounds somehow more commercial and stagy- I would expect Andy Williams or Val Doonican sitting on the altar rail surrounded by seasonally dressed small children, and singing lullabys - too saccharine to be real.
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Saturnalia used in another thread today - Saturnalia was an ancient Roman festival in honor of the deity Saturn originally held December 17 and later expanded with festivities through December 23.

Comment

^^^That's a good word, far more representative of what the Christmas holiday means to so many nowadays. 'Yule' is a word that satisfies the pagan in me, I love the Victorian cards that show Father Christmas dressed in green, rather than C**a-C**a red. bring back the Green Man, I say!
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

staying on the theological track, howzabouts "eschatological" ? Topical with the winter solstice approaching with dire warnings and escatology being a branch of theology concerned with the final events in the history of the world or of humankind

Comment

At a quick glance I though you said "scatological"

Comment

another word for the new word thread that. Bit of a whoopsie if I'd typed that in error

Comment

Maybe we should combine the two and have a new word that means sh*t happens.....I think the Mayans would agree.
                                Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X