coffee grounds & slugs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee grounds & slugs

don't know if this has been posted before. if it has Mods feel free to merge me or mix me lmao..

No coffee for slugs - Gardening - Property - The Independent

hope the link works
    this will be a battle from the heart
    cymru am byth

If they are anything like me, I'd expect coffee to just make them move twice as fast and develop a huge case of the munchies...
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I used the link and it worked fine - interesting to see the twists used to make it OK to give your plants some coffee grounds - not for slug killing, just a mulch really, but too bad if it doesn't suit the slugs.

I sometimes add coffee grounds to plants - or sometimes, cold tea from the pot. After all, doesn't everyone like a drop of tea or coffee? It's good for them!!!
      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Yet more bureaucracy gone mad. Elf & Safety gone stoopid, or is it human rights for slugs?

Comment

I'm just sick of the EU telling us what to do!!!!!

Comment

Wait, so because caffeine hasn't been tested by the EU we can't use it to get rid of slugs? But humans drinking it is just fine? Okay then, that makes perfect sense.

Comment

I feel Snails have been discriminated against here.... not a mention of the crunchy little buggers.

Just another corrupt layer of government telling us we must use the products approved by all these companys that pay big sums of money for the approval in the first place.
              When i see these EU muppets chugging gallons of roundup and eating slug pellets as bar snacks i might listen. Till then common sense over eu law anyday in my garden.

I dont see any Toxic warnings on my coffee? doesnt say its bad for aquatic environments like pesticides do.! Coffee Grounds are going in the ground no matter what anyway, Landfill, Composted or drectly on the ground so not much difference.

Comment

I think I'm going to hyperventilate! Some things are just so....................:-) #*&%@+<!

Comment

It comes from the same school as not using washing up liquid on aphids. It hasn't been tested therefore is not "approved". Who is going to police this?

Comment

This old chestnut again?

" spent coffee can be used as a mulch or to improve compost"

"...this is within the law, but a gardener who uses coffee to kill or deter a slug could fall foul of the regulations and, in theory, face heavy fines.

In practice, the RHS said there is little possibility of police arresting someone sprinkling coffee around their brassicas.

"the rules are there to stop people using "home-made remedies in a dangerous manner".

People can't even use glyphosate or slug pellets correctly (spraying on windy days or out of season; laying a blue carpet, instead of the recommended dose of one pellet per 4". Silly rules are introduced because we, as a species, can't even be trusted to follow the sensible ones.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
                      If they are anything like me, I'd expect coffee to just make them move twice as fast and develop a huge case of the munchies...
                      Feed them on canabis then!
                      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

I think that most people can follow sensible rules but we, sadly, are all treated like halfwits today - everything is dumbed down to a ridiculous level. I was visiting my sister in england and saw a woman riding a horse. She was wearing a waistcoat with "warning. Rider on horse" printed on the back. Doh.

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                          I think that most people can follow sensible rules but we, sadly, are all treated like halfwits today - everything is dumbed down to a ridiculous level. I was visiting my sister in england and saw a woman riding a horse. She was wearing a waistcoat with "warning. Rider on horse" printed on the back. Doh.
                          That's because the rider may do something stupid NOT the horse.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

It looks like most people agree with me then.??
                            P.C./H & S "rules" are taking away peoples right to think for them selves.
                            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                            Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                              I ... saw a woman riding a horse. She was wearing a waistcoat with "warning. Rider on horse" printed on the back. Doh.
                              Whereas, cyclists can dress up like Xmas trees, and still drivers "don't see" them. Except the ones with no lights. Everyone sees them

sorry, tangent
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X