No announcement yet.

Foliage Ideas For Christmas Wreaths

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha! Eagle eyes - you spotted that in seconds!

Comment

Hey, Scarlet, don't mention my spots

Comment

Stick a notice in your village shop asking for foliage donations!

Are we too early for Wintergreen? Larch trees should be easy to spot at this time of year as they turn golden. The cones look pretty with white glitter on them. Gypsofila also looks good - I quite often put it in the Christmas tree so it looks like snow. You would have to buy that though - I've found Morrison's to be the cheapest and nicest.

You could use salt dough if you varnish dried saltdough items, like gingerbread men, properly to seal them against the weather. Candy canes are quite good as they come ready wrapped & sealed. Poundland sells them, or the 99p Shop.
        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Only one I can find! It does have cinnamon on but it s just made out of taxus, variegated euonymus and ivy with berries.
          Attached Files

Comment

That's beautiful. I've just bought 18 gauge wire stubs to make little wreaths out of fabric scraps, and I'll have plenty spare so I might have a go at a couple of fresh wreaths -one for the house, one for the Crematorium.

Jules

Comment

That's what I'm after and I have access to all of the above. Nice one Scarlet
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I tend to use any evergreens I can get my hands on and always include some herbs (rosemary and bay are very good) as well. If I don't have any holly berries then I make use of skimmia and have also used pyracantha (sp) on many occaisions too - noted yesterday that mine is full of berries at the moment so hopefully will be OK when I need them. Like somebody above said, a good cheap and easy base can be formed using any old evergreen fir and you can usually make that go a very long way.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

here's one just of cones, with a few pearly beads glued on.

Last edited by mothhawk; 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Oh, oh, oh - just looked at the American goddess of home crafts page for Christmas wreaths - you should check this out - 39 to choose from! All beautiful, you're sure to get some ideas here!

Martha Stewart
                    Last edited by mothhawk; 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling - again!
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

I hate Ms Stewart - she's just so danged good at everything.

Beautiful wreaths though......
                      Jules

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                        I hate Ms Stewart - she's just so danged good at everything.

Beautiful wreaths though......
                        I know what you mean - I have to choke back the jealousy, and swallow the bile at the goody-goody image, but some of the stuff on the site is excellent.

have you ever read "Martha Stewart's Holiday Planning List"? It's hilarious!

This one's good too.
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

At least she can laugh at herself. Now where did I put that Etruscan marble I was going to crush into glitter?
                          Jules

Comment

VC you do know that yew is poisonous? I guess probably not too much in small amounts, but do be careful!
                            x

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                              VC you do know that yew is poisonous? I guess probably not too much in small amounts, but do be careful!
                              x
                              I don't know why but I always get the blame Not once have I mentioned yew (or you!) I'm assuming you meant VVG, Thea
                              Oddly, yew berries aren't poisonous but the seeds within it are! I, most certainly will not be taking the chance - a quick splutter or hiccup and you're a goner

Comment

I do know the berry is poisonous yes. But I'm not eating the wreathed and it's the foliage I'm using, not the berry. Birds take those off the tree anyhow. I have access to it so I might as well use it.
                                Sorry VC that you took my wrap or rap, whatever the phrase is!
                                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X