No announcement yet.

What To Do With Cold Callers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They allready know your details when they ring you up it is the bank details they are fishing for and they do not get them jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I had cold call today from South Africa the second one from the same chap who promised to send me a copy of the recording .
      He then said he wanted to keep in touch and come over GB next year now where is the catch i can,t see one but there must be one.
      When i told him i was bed bound he was not quite so keen anybody got any ideas would be helpfull.. jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Ideas for stopping him calling or visiting?

Comment

Keep one of these by the phone ........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QFUXJ...SIN=B002QFUXJU
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I'm sick of it now. Our phone rings throughout the day and into the evening. When I pick up, there's usually nobody there (it's a machine-generated cold call, and no operators are available to speak to me, so I get silence).

Occasionally it's Scottish Power, wanting to tempt us back: we're with TPS and I've complained again and again ~ every time I manage to get the details of whoever's cold-calling us.

We're sick of it: we don't answer the landline now, so anybody who wants to talk to us has to ring our mobiles.

Now it's nearly as bad on my mobile... I'm getting cold calls and texts, mainly from PPI hawkers or "about your accident".

):
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

For the past week or so I have had up to ten calls a day from the same number (0018884008987) The calls are either silent or there's a foreign operative asking me to complete a survey, or offering to sell me something.

If it's an operative there are several names they use; The Home Survey Group, The Domestic Survey Group. The number is always the same number whatever name they give. The number is a toll-free number in the USA. I've phoned them but it's constantly engaged.... I've repeatedly asked them to remove my details from their register and they always tell me they will do that. They promised this morning and the phone rang 10 minutes later....it was even the same guy.

We're already registered with the TPS, I've talked to BT and to Sky (our provider) because it's driving me insane. If my Caller Display worked it wouldn't be so bad - Sky are looking into that though.

It seems that nothing can be done unless I pay for it - £3.45 a month for a call barring service through Sky. I don't give my phone number out to anyone but friends, I always opt out very carefully from marketing (make sure I check or uncheck the right boxes) I've even tried just putting the phone down on the table; went back after 10 mins, listened in and they were still talking!

This is just too much now. I cannot ignore the phone; I have elderly parents and kids who might want me at any time.
              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

invest in an answer machine and screen the calls. That way, if it's a call you need to pick up on you can otherwise you can smugly ignore the nuisance calls

Comment

We've got one but it doesn't cut in soon enough. I'm just hoping Sky can get our Caller display working. It worked before we switched to Sky.
                  Jules

Comment

We haveTHREE notices on our front door and lounge window telling people not to call.
                    I have two methods of getting rid.

1) open door look at idiot & shut door again without speaking(reserved for J.Ws).
                    2) Open door shout rude words(I know lots)& shut door.
                    Last edited by bubblewrap; 23-01-2013, 04:27 PM.
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

Doorstep chuggers really annoy me. They usually ask if my dog bites (she doesn't but has a big bark and big teeth).

Me: "I don't know, do you feel lucky?"

Chugger: "Oooohkaaaay, bye then" (sidles towards gate).
                      Last edited by Plot10; 23-01-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

My first wife died in 2002 & I was still getting phone calls for her in 2007.(up to five calls a day)

In the end I managed to change my number free of charge as the calls were deemed nuisance calls.

I now get unwanted calls about once a month.
                        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                        Brian Clough

Comment

We get loads of calls for my husband. My stock answer now, "well you can talk to him but I have to warn you he's stone deaf".(slight exaggeration). They usually put the 'phone down.

Comment

When I get calls for my husband. who died 7 years ago, I tell them that if they manage to speak to him would they ask him to give me a call.

Comment

Well that's one way to make the line go dead, Veggie !
                              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Two years ago a friend lost her mother, who lived with them. They got the funeral sorted and then went through Mum's things, as you do. They discovered that she had life insurance and set about claiming. They sent off the paperwork and a copy of the death certificate as advised in the claim form.

After that they were inundated with foreign tele-operatives representing the insurance company calling up and asking to talk with their mother. They kept on explaining that she had died, countlessly and distressingly. In the end one of these people said they couldn't claim on the policy unless he could confirm it with their Mum!! They almost gave up claiming the (small, but much needed) amount until we advised them to go to the CAB. CAB dealt with the head office in London and it was sorted out in a few weeks.
                                Jules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X