X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need two -

Fruit & Veg

Tomatoes for all the above reasons

Chillies - more so now as its an hours round trip to the nearest place that (sometimes) sells them fresh.

Salad leaves - for lunch, salad with most meals, as a starter...

Fresh herbs - can't beat a great handful of basil or coriander or even humble flat leaf parsley.
    Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Squash, beans (all types!) and chillis!

Okay and everything else tooooooo!
      http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Mine has to be lettuce, I eat in most days in a sandwich or as part of a salad plus I grow it all year round so it must save me at least £40 a year.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Tomatoes
          anything allium.......

simples!!
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

It's got to be sweetcorn! It was a lousy year and my second batch didn't mature.......but the taste of the corn that ripened was sublime........

The fresh stuff in the shops is so bad.....even though before I grew my own I thought it was great.......

I love chillies too! And next year I hope to add melons to the list.......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hmmmm this is too tricky......

I would say apples are what I would like to successfully grow.......along with quinces...

What I have actually grown at all and is my favourite (bit of a push this year).....a beautiful aubergine!!

Very proud!!
              Last edited by northepaul; 18-10-2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna expand to three things. Agree with everybody who has said chillies and sweetcorn, but my personal favourite....my Emir melons!! Never before have I tasted such a sugary-sweet , syrupy,fragrant juicy melon. No melon I buy from a shop will ever be the same... a bit like my tomatoes..wait hang on, that's 4 things aaagh!

They say that people exaggerate when they say how much better the flavour of their home grown is, and with some things I tend to agree, but the 4 things listed above are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS going to be far nicer IMHO now I've tasted them.
                Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Home grown potatoes, from plot to pot inside 30 minutes. You cannot re create that flavour with any shop bought varieties. The humble potato, always warrants space on my plot, even though I have to share them with the slugs.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

1. Tomatoes.
                    2. Parsnips.

Oh, and beetroot.
                    Last edited by mrbadexample; 19-10-2012, 04:51 PM.
                    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Samurailord View Post
                      it will have to be French Beans
                      Me too.

I'm a vegetarian, so they provide me with protein all year round (I dry them and use as kidney beans ~ well, that's what they are).
                      I love shelling them all, I find it very relaxing, and then I like separating all the different colours into different jars.

No, I don't go out much
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I only need one.

Its the one I happen to be harvesting at that time. It all just taste's so much better than shop bought stuff.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Me too.

I'm a vegetarian, so they provide me with protein all year round (I dry them and use as kidney beans ~ well, that's what they are).
                          I love shelling them all, I find it very relaxing, and then I like separating all the different colours into different jars.

No, I don't go out much
                          Heh I just bought a load of jars for this very purpose

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                            Heh I just bought a load of jars for this very purpose
                            You BOUGHT empty jars????????????

Comment

Well it's always been tomatoes for me. But this time I'd like to add cucumbers. And beetroot. And last season there was always, always zuchinni. And lettuce. And cabbage, and brocc's.
                              The snowpea's and broadie's are going gangbusters already, and the rainbow chard is not half bad already...............ok so anything that is actually growing is just our favourite atm.
                              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X