Great British Food Revival

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Forgot it - but I did watch the programme about the Wild Wood and that would have clashed. Might watch the raspberry bit on iplayer. When I ate meat, I used to like rabbit but you could only buy it at the market or Chinese rabbit elsewhere Rabbit are supposed be the easiest of food meats to rear so why we had to import from China I never understood.
    What?!

crazy. I went to RC HQ last year, and they had traps around with rabbits caught in them - they were cooked that day for us to try. It felt a bit odd, eating the rabbit I had just seen, literally 20mins ago - for some reason, it really made me feel queasy.

I wasn't keen on it mind, but perhaps it was the way it was cooked, I'm not sure.

Comment

Raspberry disease from growing them for years and years in the same soil? Should that come as a suprise?

And why don't we eat more rabbit? Cos the supermarkets don't sell it.

Comment

That was about 25 years ago Chris, I haven't looked at a rabbit on my plate since

Comment

We used to get loads of rabbits from the local lads when I was a pub cook. They'd go ferreting in return for beer.
          I'd come in a 7am to cook breakfast (B&B too) and find a pile of fur to deal with!
          Rabbit pie always sold really well.

There is always rabbit (farmed) in the supermarkets here - expensive. So I'm thinking about raising them for the table.
          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chris, next time you're down the Ferry, go to the Cabin - rabbit pie is one of their specialities - and that would be very local rabbit!

Comment

What's that, that pub near the railway line/caravan park?

Comment

No, the cafe near the railway station and the carpark. Very local food there - potatoes from their farm, fish from the beach, they rear their own beef and pigs and Jean, the wife, makes all the desserts. Nothing pretentious but good honest food and a lot of banter. Best fish and chips I know too!
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 18-10-2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Oh, yep I've been there. Seren goes on about the fish and chips their, and always sits down, asks for an orange juice, fish and chips and an ice cream heh (so I'm told, anyway - I do try to avoid going up that way - it's a small place, I might bump into someone I know! ).

I did see that they had whole cows for sale, I was tempted but I had the "look" from across the table, so didn't ask about it

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                    I did see that they had whole cows for sale, I was tempted but I had the "look" from across the table, so didn't ask about it
                    Never seen those on the menu before

Comment

I'd get a look too, if I ordered a whole cow. Were you hungry Chris?
                      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I found Clarissa's recipes rather boring...and her pie looked unapealing......I love rabbit and the pies served at the college looked good and the rabbit burger very interesting...... But she didn't cook those......she was a bit condescending too......expecting people to eat rabbit is one thing but getting them to butcher their own is probably a bridge too far for most. And I think telling them they are wimps for not doing so is a bit much......

Great prog tho......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I'm enjoying this series. I haven't had rabbit for years, I wonder if they still sell it in the meat market in Sheffield? Arpoet might know. I think Clarissa always comes across as condescending, whatever she's doing and although I quite like Gregg Wallace, his pronunciation of "rarrsbries" did grate on my nerves a bit!
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Indeed Mikey - I'm a growing lad!!

Not sure about this ep, didn't really enjoy it. Greg... hmm. I don't think he can cook as well as some of the people that go on MC

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                              Can't you find a local huntsmen? Bags of land around Surrey...
                              i'm in suburbia, so no such thing as local huntsmen around here ....
                              but a friend has a friend who gets free rabbit from a gamekeeper .... skinned and gutted, ready to take away .... i'll get some free, but will have to chuck in the odd bottle of homebrew or the occasional jar of jam or chutney ....
                              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Sounds perfect!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X