Plumbing advice (again, please!) re: stopcock

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing advice (again, please!) re: stopcock

I need to move my stopcock. I'm putting in a new kitchen - and as such the sink has moved, and the stopcock would be in the middle of a new unit, making it useless (deep drawers).

So, all the plumbers I've spoken to so far just don't want to know, I mean I don't really care what it costs, I just want it done right - ya know? Anyone would think they'd have jumped at the chance to get some work.

I'm guessing the MDPE needs a coupler to be extended (about 1-2 feet max), then a connector to the copper pipe, so we can install a new stopcock? My old man was a plumber who would do it, but when he was working there was no such thing as this poly pipe (or if it was it wasn't widely used - it was mainly lead for the mains etc).

anyway, is a join alright in mdpe, internally - which will be underneath my cupboards - behind the plinth? I know it's favoured outside, but running a whole new mains connection for moving a stopcock 2' is a bit overkill. One bloke has quoted £80 to move it, which is a lot less than I thought it was but still, none of them seem to WANT to do it when I mention the blue plastic pipe.

Other way I suggested to my father was to lay the pipe flat, leave the current stopcock open - run new 15mm copper to the new unit and install a new stopcock to that newly laid pipe.. My only concern then is if the original stopcock leaked, or had an issue - or if it'd be against any regulations?

I'd prefer a brass stopcock rather than an mdpe.

Piccy:

(So the stopcock would need to be moved back to the right part of the photo, where the small grey balls (cavity wall insulation material) are in the above picture.

Comment

Can't offer you any advise dude as I design them not fit them, but its a pain the preverbial that new homes insist on the mains water being 300mm off the external wall so that it doesn't freeze. Most end up coming up through the middle of the cabinet, I know our plumbers do make alterations but can't remember what, I would ask them for you but we are on summer shutdown so they are away on holiday.

£80 seems reasonable though if they will put it where you want it.
      Last edited by Mikey; 29-08-2012, 12:37 PM.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Are you fitting the kitchen yourself Chris?
        Last edited by Mikey; 29-08-2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Yes Mikey. Place we went wanted 2.8k to fit including custom worktops. Knocked that on the head, so will buy my worktops elsewhere and get a joiner to do the worktops for me. Rest I am doing (sparky doing the proper stuff as we required a lot of electrical work doing - my father has done the rest of the plumbing stuff).

I'm not known as being as tight as a ducks backside for nowt! (sparky is in the family )

Comment

If I had of known you designed kitchens, I'd have got you to design ours. We had a right issue with ours, and still not entirely pleased with it. There was another kitchen dude on here, but I forgot who that was so couldn't get in touch with them again.

Have been through about 5 designs, with numerous alternations. Now I'm almost ready to fit, I'm still making off the cuff changes.

Comment

£2800, did I quote you?

Don't blame you mate, what tops have you gone for then?

Comment

you can pm me the details if you have any issues you want to talk through mate, I'm only sitting on my tush today, I mean filing....

Comment

First measure the dia of the MDPE it comes in different sizes. 20mm or 25mm yours looks to be 20mm to me.

Local plumbers merchant or Screwfix will sell you the kit.

I would cut back the MDPE low enough to take an MDPE elbow so that it is below the kick boards and then fit a copper to MDPE adaptor and run the rest in copper. If you are not up to soldering use compression fittings.

Don't forget to use inserts in the MDPE pipe or you will have trouble.

The reason for changing to copper is that MDPE pipe has to be bought in 50mtr rolls, unless you can get your local merchant to sell you an off cut.

Finally if you want more info on how to work MDPE jointing etc go to FloPlast web site lots of down loads there.

Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

If it's the mains inlet (and main stoptap) then I think you have to have a certified plumber to alter it.

What you do after I think is your own issue - but like you say if moving the pipe makes that leak you've got trouble.

Do you know where your outdoor stoptap is in the street? And does it only turn your house off?

Comment

If you haven't already sorted your worktops and are looking for laminate, have you been to llandaff laminate down the docks, or the makeover centre on treforest industrial estate, both are pretty reasonable.

Comment

Wrong anyone can legally work on any water pipe after the boundry box after all you own it and are responsible for it upkeep.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                          If you haven't already sorted your worktops and are looking for laminate, have you been to llandaff laminate down the docks, or the makeover centre on treforest industrial estate, both are pretty reasonable.
                          llandaff have been recommended to me. I'm planning on going down there mate, thankl you

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                            £2800, did I quote you?

Don't blame you mate, what tops have you gone for then?
                            None yet, was going real wood, then changed minds. Looking at light walnut for a colour.

I had a quote from sigma3 - 17k + 5.5k to install. B&Q units look cheap, have been all over. Decided to go with Ikea units in the end, which was, erm fun in it's own right - as no service channels at the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                              First measure the dia of the MDPE it comes in different sizes. 20mm or 25mm yours looks to be 20mm to me.

Local plumbers merchant or Screwfix will sell you the kit.

I would cut back the MDPE low enough to take an MDPE elbow so that it is below the kick boards and then fit a copper to MDPE adaptor and run the rest in copper. If you are not up to soldering use compression fittings.

Don't forget to use inserts in the MDPE pipe or you will have trouble.

The reason for changing to copper is that MDPE pipe has to be bought in 50mtr rolls, unless you can get your local merchant to sell you an off cut.

Finally if you want more info on how to work MDPE jointing etc go to FloPlast web site lots of down loads there.

Colin
                              Colin - thank you.

The pushfit connections into the MDPE, are they really suitable for mains? If it's really that simple, then I'll have a go - I'll just need to turn it off at the road (think my neighbour has a big T-key thingymajig to do that). Soldiering is fine, if I can't manage anything then my father could fix anything I b@lls up

I don't know why I didn't think of an elbow in the first place!

I have speedfit c/h caps on at the mo, which bother me - I know that they're rated up to 10bar, but I can just imagine them flying off in the night!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X