No announcement yet.

Embarrassing question...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our bedroom was infested when we bought our house: it took me a few months to work it out though.

The previous owner didn't clean her house, and she had an elderly fluffy cat. We had to throw the carpets out because they stank of cat pee.

I was getting flea bites on my wrists and ankles at night ~ but we didn't have any pets. From googling, I discovered that flea eggs can live for years without hatching, and they love the gaps in floorboards (our bedroom has bare boards and the gaps were full of dust & fluff). Once I started vacuuming, the eggs started hatching (apparently vaccuum cleaners mimic the warmth & movement of a host animal, so stimulates hatching).

Anyway, I flea-bombed the bedroom, and it did the trick in one go. I got the bomb from eBay.

I've read that Frontline is now ineffective, and some animals are allergic or react badly to Advocate. We have a puppy, but I'm not going to treat her unless and until she gets some fleas (we've had dogs on and off for my whole life and don't recall any of them ever having fleas).
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
      Feeding pets garlic will stop the pests feasting on them. Good for ...Mozzies too.
      that's not true in my case. I eat loads of garlic and I suffer more insect bites than most people. A lot of people swear by garlic, so I guess it works for some.

Cat Care Advice - Dealing With Fleas | IAMS UK
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        ...we've had dogs on and off for my whole life and don't recall any of them ever having fleas...
        Yup, same here. Ear mites, transferred from the Cat, yes.

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        that's not true in my case. I eat loads of garlic and I suffer more insect bites than most people...
        Ditto!

We used to visit a local pub, where there was a resident dog, and everyone was allowed to bring their own dogs. The times we got home with flea bites round our ankles...
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I'm sure you've done this - but be sure to de-flea all of your furry friends together - not as and when you see our jumping 'friends'.

It can be a pesky problem at this time of year and 'we' are a part to blame here as we have become used to wall to wall carpeting and other luxuries. This year great as humidity and intermittent heat have prevailed.

You may need to apply a general and perhaps more aggressive application to bedding, carpets and just about anywhere your cats go in order to eradicate the prob such as nuvan top - I think boots - maybe other chemists now? - used to sell it otherwise you go to the vets (more expensive?).

Sadly the eggs can lie dormant for many years and it is quite possible your otherwise uninfested moggs have been infested by a 'resurrected' batch of eggs from many years ago.

It will need patience and perhaps a dose or two of antihistamine if you/your family get bitten in the meantime. Much good advice already given.

By the way - the ONLY embarrassing question is the one you DON'T ask - as told to me by a former boss many years ago - and how true.
          Last edited by quark1; 22-07-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Since we got this long haired cat we have been plagued by fleas and frontline has no effect whatsoever- have used rip spray, vacuumed. So, will get this advantage stuff and give it a go.

Comment

Thanks for replies guys....took me a while to realize I had a Page 2.....duh!

@ Two Sheds --- what's a 'flea-bomb'?

@Quark1 -- do places still sell Nuvan Top? Our vet doesn't stock it any more as Frontline is 'so effective' (ha ha)

@ Petal -- yea, I think we'll give Advantage a try.....does that kill them or just sterilize them? I figure even if they're infertile they'll jump around biting!

I'm still getting a few off each cat each day as I comb them -- I think they may be getting jumped on in the garden

On the positive side -- OH and Son are hoovering every day!
              What is this life, if full of care,
              We have no time to stand and stare
              . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

Also....

@ tamsin, yes... I'll be patient and wait till next dose time

We tried one of those sticky lamp things ages ago but didn't find it awfully helpful.
                However that gave us a great idea for catching the little blighters and we are now very nifty at selotaping them --- that way they can't jump away before you can dispose of them
                . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

Lily - I think on investigation Nuvan was banned by EU on grounds of it being carcinogenic

Comment

We used to use Frontline but now use Avocate as it does for some worms types too. Never had any problems with either of our cats with either product and to be honest often leave it considerably longer than the recommended intervals but as soon as we see one we treat them straight away and it seems fine. Mother in law had a problem with one of hers (a stray that came to live) and got some sprays from the vet, not sure what but apparently they worked really well but I don't think they were cheap.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Well a big 'thank you' to all of you for your help!

I THINK we are winning......a way to go yet though, and I've ordered 'Stronghold' from the vets.
                      Am very hopeful it will work!

OH still hoovering, so some good's come out of it all....
                      . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

Hooray for 'Stronghold' !!!

We got this as it covers the differing weights of our moggies, one being a stout old lady.

As of today flea-free-cats, hooray!

Still hoovering though.......but can now let moggies roam round the house collecting the jumpers
                        . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X