No announcement yet.

DIY Tool identification needed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now if you had the taps and dies, VC, I could have used them. I need to make a new bolt to hold my door knocker - with a nut to hold it in place.

Whoops - walked into that one, the nut is already here. Now I need a hexagonal one...
    Last edited by Jeanied; 19-07-2012, 03:40 PM.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      With the sounds of that lot VC someone was either an engineer or mechanic.

Colin
      Amateur car/motorbike mechanic, carpenter, plumber, electrician, you name it really - but by trade a computer systems analyst in the NHS! You can probably guess which he preferred!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
        Now if you had the taps and dies, VC, I could have used them. I need to make a new bolt to hold my door knocker - with a nut to hold it in place.

Whoops - walked into that one, the nut is already here. Now I need a hexagonal one...
        Taps & Dies I can do, Jeanie - a drawerful! All shapes and sizes......

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Thank you Son of Lottie. That sounds about right - I seem to remember some work on my Triumph Spitfire suspension after I dropped it in a pothole!!
          So, no use to me but maybe to a car enthusiast. Now to find a Triumph owner
          Doesn't need to be specifically a Triumph. Will work with any ball joints, track rod ends etc

Comment

Thanks AP. So I need to find anyone who wants them really, and given the earlier advice that they're not much good, that may be difficult

Comment

VC he must have been some amateur most of that kit is professional. Maybe be he was like me I can't walk past a tool shop without me wallet twitching.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

His father was an engineer and some of the stuff came from him. My father maintained his cars and bikes and a friend was a model engineer - all their stuff came this way. But there have been lots of other sources too - with the sort of offer its hard to refuse like - clear out my garage and take anything you want. I'm getting to that point myself now!! Its not so bad when I know what something is because then I can offer it to someone who might use it, but when I haven't a clue - like today's items. So thanks for your help

Comment

You must have really big feet - they're size 6!! Here's another photo in case you missed it first time [ATTACH=CONFIG]30900[/ATTACH]
                  I still think if you knew a welder or a blacksmith, they might be able to join these two for you.

The one on the floor would stay where it is, and the one stood up would be welded onto the flat end. Voila.. you stand on the flat one and lever your welly against the prongs of the one stood up.

I think you are an amazing contortionist VC, I couldn't take a picture of my leg as you have done there.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                    I still think if you knew a welder or a blacksmith, they might be able to join these two for you.
                    The one on the floor would stay where it is, and the one stood up would be welded onto the flat end. Voila.. you stand on the flat one and lever your welly against the prongs of the one stood up.
                    I think you are an amazing contortionist VC, I couldn't take a picture of my leg as you have done there.
                    Mikey, would you like them for your wellies?
                    As for the photo that was the easy part, pressing the shutter with my nose was more difficult

Comment

Mikey, would you like them for your wellies?
                      As for the photo that was the easy part, pressing the shutter with my nose was more difficult
                      No you're alright bach, I've got enough on my plate as it is.

I'm currently sanding and lime waxing my MIL's old dining table for putting under the verandah. I'm gonna be tied up on that for at least the next 2 weeks.

aaaaahhhhh.........stop it........dirty little minds.
                      Last edited by Mikey; 19-07-2012, 04:43 PM.
                      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

It was the thought of you being waxed that appealed
                        You sure you don't want two ball joint splitters
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 19-07-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I thought they looked like elephant false teeth.

Comment

Deffo ball joint splitters for use mainly on splitting ball joints funny enough!

Because the ball joint has a nut on the top and a tapered seat, these little beauties are wedged around the tapered seat and once the nut is loosened they are wacked to force the tapered ball joint mounting rom the tapered seat. Their is another variation which uses a lockdown nut to do the same job. Thats why the bit is missing from the centre of the wedge to fit around the ball joint shaft.

SWG or Standard Wire Gauge was a thickness measurement for steel plate before metrication.
                            The one that sticks in my mind was 16 gauge (SWG) which was roughly the equivalent of 1/16" thick plate. !4 gauge was slightly thicker and 18 gauge slightly thinner. Landrover chasssis are 16 gauge methinks where other normal car chassis are 18 guage or probably some weird metric equivalent these days!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger! I can't stop playing with the SWG now. It measures from 9 gauge to 26 and so far I've measured the thickness of a knife and tweezers! There's a 2nd disc attached to it that swivels out and has larger holes marked 1 to 8.
                              I like having a new toy to play with
                              Adding image - its like this one!
                              Last edited by veggiechicken; 19-07-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Thats is all part of the wire gauge if you look on the opposite side of the gauge that we can see you find that .300 inches is equivelant to 1 wire gauge .276 inches is 2 and so on. Thats the british standard the american standard varies slightly.

Colin.
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X