Mad about squash - or just mad?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad about squash - or just mad?

Many of us are suffering from Compulsive Seed Buying/Sowing Disorder so I know I will get some sympathy when I confess that I have just sown 26 different varieties of squash and still have a few more to go.
    Is there any hope for me? Will I ever be cured of CSB/SD? (do I want to be?!)
    Betty (aka Squash63)
    Walsall Road Allotments, Birmingham
    www.growit.ik.com

Just how big is your allotment?

Seriously though it can get a bit like that. I have a few French varieties to try but I now have a variety "trial " that works for me.

I have my own "Gold standard" varieties which do well for me and which I like. Every year I will grow several extra varieties to see if any out perform the standard bearers, if they do they are grown for a second year and if the performance is still better, become the new gold standard against which I judge every other variety and so the trial continues.

However Squash63, you will never be cured.

Comment

I really like squashes - when we were on our hols in the Czech Republic lots of people had them growing along fences in their front gardens. Would like to try that one day.

You could try and cure yourself by overdosing on seeds bought? (Well thats what I tell myself I'm doing as I buy/swop the latest packet! )

Can you recommend a good patty pan squash squash63?
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I think I may too be suffering the early signs of this debilitating compulsion!

I've always been fascinated with American culture and so have been trying American recipes and food.

This year (so far) we're growing Butternut Squash, Jack Be Little mini pumpkins, Sweet Dumpling Squash, and 2 types of courgette.
        Everytime i go to the supermarket i buy another type of squash and then harvest the seeds
        I have a Carnival squash in the kitchen ready and waiting, and who knows what i'll get come autumn

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
          Just how big is your allotment?

Seriously though it can get a bit like that. I have a few French varieties to try but I now have a variety "trial " that works for me.

I have my own "Gold standard" varieties which do well for me and which I like. Every year I will grow several extra varieties to see if any out perform the standard bearers, if they do they are grown for a second year and if the performance is still better, become the new gold standard against which I judge every other variety and so the trial continues.

However Squash63, you will never be cured.
          I have had to 'borrow' some of my neighbour's plot because I'm running out of room on both of mine One of the reasons I'm growing so many is because I have a display at the Gardeners Weekend in Birmingham in September and I want to have lots of different ones. That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it.
          What are your Gold Standard varieties?

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
          I really like squashes - when we were on our hols in the Czech Republic lots of people had them growing along fences in their front gardens. Would like to try that one day.

You could try and cure yourself by overdosing on seeds bought? (Well thats what I tell myself I'm doing as I buy/swop the latest packet! )

Can you recommend a good patty pan squash squash63?
          I grow some of mine up canes to save space. Last year I grew Sicilian Snakes over the greenhouse and they looked fabulous. So far I haven't grown patty pan, but now you've mentioned them..........

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
          I think I may too be suffering the early signs of this debilitating compulsion!

I've always been fascinated with American culture and so have been trying American recipes and food.

This year (so far) we're growing Butternut Squash, Jack Be Little mini pumpkins, Sweet Dumpling Squash, and 2 types of courgette.
          Everytime i go to the supermarket i buy another type of squash and then harvest the seeds
          I have a Carnival squash in the kitchen ready and waiting, and who knows what i'll get come autumn
          Good luck with your harvest, it's going to be interesting finding out what you get from your home-saved seeds. I sent my brother in law a packet of butternut seeds and he saved seeds from one of them to grow the following year. They turned out nothing like butternuts - twice as big and a strange shape, but they tasted good so he didn't mind.
          Betty (aka Squash63)
          Walsall Road Allotments, Birmingham
          www.growit.ik.com

Comment

Only one so far Squash63 and that is Crown Prince, both for looks (they are powder blueish), flavour and storage. We still have two in the workshop.

Comment

Well the butternut squash seeds i've got were from a shop-bought one, and of the 5 seeds I set, all 5 have grown! Will be interesting to see if they come out 'odd'

The courgettes & Jack Be Little are from true seed, but the Sweet Dumpling is again saved seeds from one we ate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X