No announcement yet.

Companion planting, not the other one.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put together a few links a while back.
    Here- have a look at this thread!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_45130.html
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
      I already grow sacrifice plants for the slugs, including marigolds and lettuce around my runner beans.
      Up to now the snugs have left my runner beans and peas alone, but they've eaten almost everything else. I'm trying Bren's tip about the orange peel tonight. If that attracts them Himself will be overdosed on Vitamin C.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thanks Nicos, I remember that from first time round, glad you've posted it again. I wish someone would tell the snugs that the marigolds are for them, they've eaten all the bras and left the marigolds alone
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

on companion planting new friend Gertrud Frank says, in her book, that beans, cabbages and potatoes are incompatible with onion family, red cabbage and beetroots are incompatible with tomatoes, and parsley is incompatible with lettuce.
          She says
          if these few negative combinations are avoided, not many mistakes will be made
          So chuck everything else in where you want

Comment

Now I remember my mother using a saying which is an old wife's tale, but who's to say it doesn't have a smackeral of truth.

'Parsley grows were the woman wears the trousers'.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
              parsley is incompatible with lettuce.
              Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
              Now I remember my mother using a saying which is an old wife's tale, but who's to say it doesn't have a smackeral of truth.
              'Parsley grows were the woman wears the trousers'.
              Is the corollary to this: Lettuce grows where the woman (or is it the man) wears the skirts?

Comment

Mikey I can relate to not getting your head around the no dig method. I couldn't quite cope with it for years myself. And here I am with 90 acres and doing no dig

We do have a thin topsoil tho, with rock underneath. And the weeds/grass..........shocking they are! So tried the no dig and I'm done with the shovel!
                Use it do dig a fruit tree in, but even there try to raise the tree above the natural soil line to give it further to put it's roots down. It has been a real about face for me. Certainly made last season a breeze. Hopefully it will be an even better season come spring. We're planning a lot more no dig beds, and a lot more plants.

Really enjoyed the permaculture workshop we did, and loved the idea that planting one type of plant in rows was like an 'all you can eat buffet' for the pests. When you mix them up, and add flowers as well they have to at least make a decent effort to eat all your plants.
                I planted some lettuce with the cabbages and radishes for winter, and found out afterwards that the lettuce and cabbage don't like each other. But that's really the worst of it so far.

I'd love a companion planting section or sticky. Not that everyone agrees on what goes with what, but it's good to have some ideas.
                Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X