No announcement yet.

Ummm....Can you work out this puzzle?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three dots was therefore for me too and I'm not medical....

as said above you need 2 formulae for 2 unknowns.....
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
      We use three dots for therefore in medical terminology. The symbol is there too, but I haven't time to look for it at the mo.

Ahh bing on comes the lightbulb.... Flo are we going old school windows 3.11 here ?

*rushes off to look at .... start/programs/accessories/system tools/character map
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Well done Eirish & Alison I read the question wrongly,I was assuming that "The grades go from 8 to 19. " was the total grade rather than the grade for each section

*wanders off to sit in corner with big pointy D hat on head
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
          Three dots was therefore for me too and I'm not medical....
          Didn't mean it was medical RT - just meant that I still see it a lot at work in the medical field, but not much outside of it
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
            Ahh bing on comes the lightbulb.... Flo are we going old school windows 3.11 here ?

*rushes off to look at .... start/programs/accessories/system tools/character map
            Word:
            Insert
            Symbol
            Old fashioned
            But simples

Comment

Word:
              Insert
              Symbol
              Old fashioned
              But simples
              Yes but by the time I've done that I could have just typed "therefore" Would use the three dots if I was writing by hand though, standard abbreviation in all fields to my knowledge and something I use / see most days.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Shorthand is really difficult to achieve on a typewriter.
                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Not if you find what you're looking for and create a shortcut, or better still, put the symbols insert icon into your tool bar. Don't suppose any of us would use it enough to warrant doing that anyway. I think I've got short hands on the keyboard Mikey
                  Last edited by Florence Fennel; 22-06-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Just remind me - what was this thread about?

Comment

Not if you find what you're looking for and create a shortcut, or better still, put the symbols insert icon into your tool bar. Don't suppose any of us would use it enough to warrant doing that anyway. I think I've got short hands on the keyboard Mikey
                      Have absolutely no idea what you're talking about - symbol insert icon on tool bar, what?!? Never really bothered much with shortcuts as I can type quickly anyway and find it's usually easiest to just leave my fingers on the qwerty bit of the keyboard than do some strange contortion with a combination of keys. Have come to the conclusion that there are enough different ways of doing things for us all to pick something different

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The symbol is in the Lucida Sans Unicode font, towards the bottom.
                        At school, when taking notes, we also used the symbol you see next to that one, an inverted three dot triangle, to mean 'because'. Two really handy shortcuts when we had a fast talking teacher!
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouya Mellsa View Post
                          This has twisted my melon for a few days now....it's probably very simple, but...I cannae do it!

It's a grade I received for an assignment.

Part A was worth 75% and Part B worth 5%.

The grades go from 8 to 19.

The final grade would be worked out by dividing Part A's grade with Part B's to a ratio of 75%:25%.

The final grade was 16.8.

So, what was the grade for each part?

(i.e. if part A was a grade 18 and Part B was 16 and they were worth 50% each I'd get 17)

I haven't explained this well, have I?!?!?!

Part A 75% Part B 5% (or have I missed something) Where is the other 20%?

This bit is tricky:- The final grade would be worked out by dividing Part A's grade with Part B's to a ratio of 75%:25%.

Even working in quarters you're assuming that the missing 20% is in part B's grade. But it isn't is it according to the original post. So you need to know the value obtained by both A and B before you can get the final grade.

Ouya can't you ask the examiners how they work it out?

If I've missed something then ignore me.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                            I've just found a "Math Input Panel" where you write something with the cursor and it converts it to a mathematical symbol - I think! Can't make head nor tail of it

Comment

Hello!

Thank you all for your help!

My typo! It was meant to be 75%:25%!!!!

I should have added that Part B was definitely a grade 19.

So, I guess those of you who said Part A 16 and Part B 19 were correct!

Thank you very much!

Woo-hoo!!!

Comment

So you had top grade for Part B. Well done!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X