No announcement yet.

Playing with my new camera!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light, Science and Magic - or similar can't remember the title of the book is a great book for learning about lighting and how you can influence it, and the effects on different surfaces at different fstops it has.

Also - check out the strobist blog, it covers some great material - from the ground up

Comment

Lovely pics - thank you for posting them!

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Snips View Post
        Very nice indeed, the bluebell carpeted woodland looks beautifully serene.

If I may offer one little snippet of advice, when there's no specific point of focus - as in the bluebell woodland scene, a smaller aperture would increase the depth-of-field thereby bringing more of the scene into focus. A slower shutter speed or higher ISO would be required to let more light in as a small aperture obviously reduces the amount of light entering the camera.

The other picture is spot on, the wide aperture reduces depth-of-field and makes the flower stand out in sharp contrast to the defocussed background.

Have a lot of fun with it and please post more pictures. If my constructive criticism isn't welcome then feel free to say so and I'll keep my gob shut...I'm thick-skinned and won't be upset
        Many thanks for your input. I don't mind at all. Got lots of learning to do and think the best thing is to keep shooting and do a bit of 'study' inbetween. Do need to get a tripod as all the results with slower shutter speed were v. blurred. Didn't think to alter ISO but hey I've learnt something. I want to try one of those arty farty blurred images (photoshop) and now I look at them in the technique bit in the mag I can see that they have placed bluebells into the bottom 1/3rd of the image giving the trees much more impact. Raring to go again!
        Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
          Dont forget a shutter cable
          I have got one of these and once I have the tripod will give it a go!! Thanksx

Comment

Here's a pretty good basic tutorial on depth-of-field...

Depth of Field in Photography | Tutorial9
            Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

HELEN DIXON PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY: Bluebell Wood Abstract
              Like this!

Comment

Lovely pics, especially the tulip

Comment

Happy bunny today,OH has just given me £200 to get few more bits I need for camera it. Ive just been looking at tripods and need to decide which to get. Shop near me is going to get one in that was highly rated in camera mag. Hadn't realised there was so much choice. Confused now. :/

Comment

I highly recommend a Benbo tripod. I've had one for 30+ years and it's built to last. It designed for outdoor use and can be put in almost any position allowing you to get the camera close up to awkward subjects. You may find it awkward to set up to begin with as the legs have to be positioned how you want them then it's locked with one central clutch mechanism.

Benbo Trekker MK 3 Tripod Kit With Ball-And-Socket Head: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Thanks capsid, I hadn't even looked at this make! Its really hard to decide on what to get, I tend to ask advice and everyone has their own favourites. I'm waiting for shop to get giottos one that rated v. Highly in dig cam mag. I'm putting my faith in their hands , they must know what try are talking about but I do think you need to actually hold and try out anything u are spending a considerable amount of cash on. Very helpful man in shop, digital cam shop in Stevenage , and their prices are very competitive so will buy from them.

Comment

Watch out, here comes the depth-of-field geek again!

A couple of examples for you, Lettuce.

Narrow aperture (f/8) - increased DOF - foreground, middle ground and background all in reasonable focus.

Wider aperture (f/4.5) - reduced DOF - pea flowers and leaves in focus, neighbours Acer out of focus. Peas stand out in sharp contrast.

Hope that helps.

I really should practise this stuff a bit more, I've been lazy with it lately.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks pa snips, it is going in, honest! I've had to keep going over and over it to make it all stay in. It all seems the wrong way round, low numbers wider aperture reduced depth of field. Getting there slowly but any little reminders are good. Maybe I should try taking control of shutter speed and aperture , been mostly using aperture control.
                          Any thoughts on tripods??

Comment

Meant to ask, what sort of photography do you like to do? Camera set up?

Comment

I like wildlife, landscape, that kind of thing.

My camera isn't anything special but has all the important features: adjustable aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc. I believe that good photography comes more from the photographer than the camera. Anyhow, it's a Fuji Finepix S6500FD.

I have a very basic tripod from Aldi - cheap and cheerful but it does what it says on the box. There's no option with my camera to attach a remote shutter release cable but if I need to be really steady I just use the camera's 3 second timer.
                              Attached Files

..................................................

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X