Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps a fence in front of the existing first fence would stop the calvery charge and slow things down, but I agree with chef uk the lower the fence the faster the pace all you have to do islook at the speed of a hurdle race.

Comment

A lot of this is more about class and money than animal welfare. If I, a relatively poor person, entered my chickens, cat or fish in a competition where there was a reasonable assumption that a fatality would be a likely outcome, would that be ok? I doubt it. I think I'd be straight in the papers and rightly branded as cruel and selfish.
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Fantastic no real argument so we bring class and money into the thread, what about the millions of working class people that follow racing how about the ordinary people that are in a syndicate and own a bit of a racehorse, if the ordinary person did not go racing or bet on racing there would not be any racing, so once again where does class and money come into it.
        Last edited by PAULW; 15-04-2012, 07:10 PM.

Comment

i would just make the comment regarding how horses are trated in other parts of the world: their treatment is often what we might consider cruel, but they are a domestic animal needed for many families to make a living (and there are a lot of charities like TOLFA and the Brooke, to name two, that are working hard to educate people that looking after their beasts makes good sense).
          Horse racing in the UK differs because it is entertainment (and big bucks along with it). I don't see the entertainment in seeing races that are rash, stupid, dangerous and deadly. It should be either radically changed, or banned. Like dogfighting.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
            where does class and money come into it.
            Honestly Paul? Do you really think that apart from a lucky few, the 'ordinary people' will one day be rich on the back of horse racing? Or that there aren't posh knobs laughing all the way to the bank cos granny had a flutter on the National?
            I was feeling part of the scenery
            I walked right out of the machinery
            My heart going boom boom boom
            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
            I've come to take you home."

Comment

Well said, which ought to bring this thread to a close, lets not allow it to run on into a debate that goes on forever, its getting a bit heated!!!!!!

Comment

A good idea...interesting to hear both sides.
                Last edited by Nicos; 15-04-2012, 07:57 PM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                  Well said, which ought to bring this thread to a close, lets not allow it to run on into a debate that goes on forever, its getting a bit heated!!!!!!
                  Wasn't it you that started the thread Petal? You can't start a thread about something potentially controversial and then expect everyone to just agree with you, or want the thread closed when people don't If 'you' (anybody) don't want a debate, don't start the thread.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X