No announcement yet.

Healthy Planet

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooh there is one in Slough - not far from me!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Do you go to the one in Carmarthen VC, OH has her hair cut there I thought I might take the nipper and find it, is it in the town centre?

How does it work, do they accept donations aswell?
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Yes Mikey, Carmarthen, on the Pensarn trading estate the other side of the river to the town centre. I park there (free) and walk into town. Plenty of books, for nippers and big kids. Limit of 3 books each to take away. As many mags as you can carry. Videos. They also sell junk furniture and ironmongery - bags of nails, hinges etc that have been donated in aid of Tools for SelfReliance. Donations of tools and books etc all received.
        Check out their opening times on Faceache as they vary.Healthy Planet Carmarthen | Facebook.
        Definitely worth a look.

Comment

Thanks VC, I know exactly where that is, I'll have to pop in there soon. I normally take our books to hay on wye, but would much rather do this.
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Green washed

If something looks too good to be true, it generally is.

Treading a fine line between ‘scam’ and ‘service’ - in Financial Times
            Treading a fine line between ‘scam’ and ‘service’ - FT.com

Healthy Planet Buys books at wholesale prices -5p per kg- and pretends that they are free, the customer however has already unwittingly paid and dearly.

Healthy Planet actively encourage wealthy landlords to dodge their taxes through their Healthy spaces scheme;
            Healthy Spaces Initiative :: Healthy Planet

£millions then go in the Healthy Planet coffers instead of the public purse and away from vital resources such as libraries...

check their accounts!! Charity overview

Comment

Interesting. First link needs a subscription to work.
              How has the customer paid if Healthy Planet are buying wholesale? Sorry being a bit thick here. If I went into a shop (unlikely as none near me!) and picked up 3 free books, how have I paid?

Comment

I have no interest in following any of the links provided by Pappa Smirf. If one of Healthy Planet's aims is to reduce the amount of books that are sent to landfill that is a good enough objective for me. Even if they buy in unsaleable books at a nominal sum, does it matter when otherwise we, the ratepayer, would be paying our local authorities to dispose of them through landfill. I have donated, and received, many books and magazines to/from Healthy Planet whilst giving books in saleable condition to charity shops - who also occupy vacant retail premises at a preferential rate.
                Perhaps, Pappa Smirf, you would like to tell us about your garden - since this is a Gardening Forum

Comment

I have to say I agree with above. What if they buy in cheap and give away, better than just dumped. Also better than shops are occupied and drawing trade in.

Comment

There is one of these behind where I work but every time I walk past it is closed

Need one where I live (a good 100miles apart) So I could donate my old books which are currently going mouldy in the shed.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      The one here has all sorts of things - free books, videos and magazines; and furniture, ironmongery and odds and sods for sale at silly cheap prices. They also have a book club, knitting & crochet, children's corner etc. My only problem is - I always find 4 books that I want and have great difficulty deciding which one to leave behind!
                      Hope yours relocates soon!
                      Carmarthen or Newport? Newport would be our nearest one.
                      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Carmarthen Jules

Comment

Oh rats.....that's a bit far away.
                          Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Haven't been to the one in Newport - I thought there was one in Pontypool last time I looked

Comment

There are such things as charities which are less charitable than they first appear. If someone is trying to prevent people being scammed, then I don't think they need to be shot down for doing so? I read Papa Smirf's post in the early hours of the morning, and decided to leave it be, because I thought people would rather know if something wasn't as good as it sounded...

Comment

19/01/2013 Treading a fine line between ‘scam’ and ‘service’ - FT.com
                                Treading a fine line between ‘scam’ and ‘service’ - FT.com 1/3
                                November 21, 2011 10:00 pm
                                Treading a fine line
                                between ‘scam’ and ‘service’
                                By Claer Barrett, Retail Correspondent
                                Healthy Planet, a registered environmental charity, promises landlords a “50 per cent saving
                                on rates costs” if they grant a temporary lease, but asks for half the shop’s true business
                                rates liability as a “tax deductible charity donation” in return.
                                “We are the next best thing to a shop being completely empty. There is no one else who
                                wants this space,” says Shaylesh Patel, founder of Healthy Planet. The charity is receiving
                                cash to occupy about 60 empty shops, which simply have posters in the windows advertising
                                its website, and also operates 13 Books for Free shops, where it distributes unwanted books
                                to local communities.
                                In 2009, Blacks Leisure paid Healthy Planet to occupy 77
                                unwanted stores in order to mitigate its rates liability. Blacks
                                confirmed it was making payments to Healthy Planet “towards its store occupancy and
                                administrative costs”. The charity still occupies 25 ex-Blacks stores and also receives similar
                                donations from other landlords.
                                “Different councils interpret us in different ways,” Mr Patel said, claiming that more than 60
                                local authorities accepted that putting up posters counted as occupation.
                                Following government “empty rates” legislation in 2008, property owners have had to pay
                                full business rates on boarded-up shops. In April 2011, this was extended to cover lower
                                value properties, including small shops on deserted high streets.
                                Ratings experts say this has prompted an acceleration of “rates dodging” scams involving
                                charities, many of which are legally questionable. The law states charity shops have to be
                                “wholly or mainly used for the sale of donated goods” in order to qualify for a mandatory 80
                                per cent rates discount.
                                “There are some organisations which are pushing this into the area of a scam,” said Roger
                                Messenger, president of the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation, which governs
                                rating professionals in the UK.
                                He said “donations for rates” schemes where charities are paid to occupy shops were “very
                                common” in secondary and tertiary high streets where shops were “unlikely to ever be
                                reoccupied”, stating he had encountered “many examples” of charities simply putting up
                                posters, or “putting machines in units to send out messages to smartphones” instead of
                                19/01/2013 Treading a fine line between ‘scam’ and ‘service’ - FT.com
                                Treading a fine line between ‘scam’ and ‘service’ - FT.com 2/3
                                Slaying zombies of UK retailing
                                Council of the beasts
                                Issue raised on lowering gambling stakes
                                New year honours - list
                                actually trading.
                                In recent weeks Mary Portas, retail adviser to the government, has complained about rising
                                numbers of charity shops on the nation’s high streets. Nationally, one in seven high street
                                shops lies vacant, as increasingly cost-conscious consumers migrate to shopping online, at
                                out-of-town centres, or at large supermarket stores. The Financial Times has previously
                                revealed that some high street landlords are prepared to charge retailers rents of just £1 a
                                year in order to avoid the “empty rates” bill if they were to quit.
                                Charities occupying empty properties in return for a donation believe they are not breaking
                                the law.
                                Healthy Planet approached HM Revenue and Customs to discuss the tax status of its 2010
                                accounts before the 2010 year-end and agreed an appropriate payment with HMRC before
                                submitting its tax return and payment on time. These showed “donations” had jumped from
                                £13,000 to £1.1m in the space of 12 months as the result of income from occupying
                                previously empty shops. The amount of tax due was agreed before Healthy Planet’s accounts
                                were audited.
                                “In the taxman’s eyes, if we’re getting this payment in return [for occupying a shop] then it’s
                                not really a donation,” stated Mr Patel, who says Healthy Planet paid “several thousands of
                                pounds” of tax in accordance with its agreement with HMRC.
                                He said the charity intended to turn all its shops into Books for Free stores in time, but could
                                not find volunteers to run them.
                                “The point is, these shops may not ever be used as shops again,” said Andrew Cribb, the cofounder
                                of 3Space, a registered charity that receives donations for occupying empty shops,
                                and lets community groups use the space for free.
                                “Social enterprises and charities are delivering services, and attracting groups of people who
                                will use town centres again,” he said. “A whole heap of youth charities using these parts of
                                town could be a way of kick-starting rundown areas.”

This article has been amended since first publication to clarify the circumstances of
                                Healthy Planet’s discussions with HMRC. Mary Portas
                                The FT article Papa Smirf referred to.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X