Hose pipe Ban

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    LottieD, that's Steve's cunning plan for earning himself a fortune. Next thing he'll be offering is a very long hose from his house into England!
    BUT HOSE PIPES WILL BE BANNED HERE,and thankx for the heads up VC lol, although i get some odd looks from new peeps,i use a hose pipe,to pump water from our rain stored water barrels via a battery,it is at a much reduced flow,but is theraputic just standing there watering our food to be,with a feeling a 1 up on the supermarket rip offs
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
      it amazes me how we are surrounded by water, yet we still have hose-pipe bans!
      It amazes me how we are surrounded by water and yet fish is rarely fresh, nor cheap. We meat eaters would be a lot healthier if we had better access to fish...but I digress. I concur, we end up with droughts and yet bursts occur, which are left for days. We are told to shower as it uses less water, but for a family of four using four showers everyday against one bath?!
      Anyhow, I mostly use a watering can and traipse up and down, both at home and on the allotment. I hate using hoses as they cause leaf scorch. I am expecting some snide comments when this comes into force as the tap is in the corner of my allotment plot. I never need the hosepipe. But those right up the other end will be spitting.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Well, I didn't know that! thanks for the info Alison/TS

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Welsh Water (Dwr Cymru) is a not for profit organisation with no shareholders. We sometimes get rebates on our water bills - not a lot but every little helps (said the old lady as she p.....d in the river).
          REBATES?! For the past 3 years mine have been going up. £512.41 or something this year.

Mind you, I'm not metered though..

Comment

How much? Go and collect it off the mountainside Chris! I thought we were bad at £398 per year...I'll not complain about them again...we are not metered either!
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              We are told to shower as it uses less water, but for a family of four using four showers everyday against one bath?!
              Yes but how many families would be willing to share the bath water these days? Mind you, some power showers use a frightening amount of water so it doesn't always balance.

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              I am expecting some snide comments when this comes into force as the tap is in the corner of my allotment plot. I never need the hosepipe. But those right up the other end will be spitting.
              I'm not sure about in all areas but certainly in the NW when we had a hose pipe ban a few years ago it was perfectly OK to use a hosepipe to fill a watering can as it was seen as an extension of the pipe but you couldn't water directly with it - makes sense if you think about it but very confusing.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Yes but how many families would be willing to share the bath water these days? Mind you, some power showers use a frightening amount of water so it doesn't always balance.

I'm not sure about in all areas but certainly in the NW when we had a hose pipe ban a few years ago it was perfectly OK to use a hosepipe to fill a watering can as it was seen as an extension of the pipe but you couldn't water directly with it - makes sense if you think about it but very confusing.
                This one does! Depends how you guide them I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                  REBATES?! For the past 3 years mine have been going up. £512.41 or something this year.
                  Mind you, I'm not metered though..
                  I'm on a meter, but there is only one of me (luckily they broke the mould when I was born). I pay £12 a month but, as you, know, I'm not here all the time.
                  In the other place I pay £27 a month but that is because the builders used so much water mixing concrete that I'm still paying it back!
                  Moral - Don't go on a meter until the builders have finished!

Comment

Crickey, if you were in your Cardiff place all the time, watering your garden would bankrupt you!

Comment

BUT I don't water my garden! Don't even know where the hosepipe is (and it wouldn't be long enough). I save the cold water from the taps before its hot enough for washing up, that's for the seedlings in the greenhouse. A few watering cans for the pots, but that's usually potato washing water or rainwater.
                      If they were wild plants they'd survive on rainwater so I'm not going to pamper them!

Comment

I drive all over Kent, E.Sussex, W.Sussex and Surrey delivering booze. I have seen the state of the natural waterways (lakes, rivers, plus old canals). Shockingly they are exactly the same as they have been in previous years. The only less than full bodies of water are the reservoirs.
                        The water companies can't do their job and we have to suffer.
                        Bad Darts.
                        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Right - action plan for me - definitely order that bathwater syphon kit, then get my paved area jetwashed asap before the ban comes in! It is only a tiny area btw and once it is clean I am going to 'patio magic' it all over!
                          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Strange thing a hose pipe ban. You can't use a hose pipe or jet washer to wash your car at home, but garages and super markets etc are unaffected so you can use both there. I checked with a mate at ST today as I have a fish pond I can use my hose as much as I like to fill the pond even if I have a submersible pump removing the water at the same rate to water my garden with an other hose.

Colin
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

We are all being encouraged to be healthier and eat homegrown produce and yet us dedicated gardeners will not be able to use hosepipes on our allotments to keep the produce alive. I only use the watering can in my garden, but this is really not feasible for allotment holders. Filling cans from taps with sufficient water for a whole plot will be a nightmare task and some elderly gardeners may find it too arduous in the heat. Are we supposed to just stand by and watch our future meals die? I am determined to still use the same amount of water on my crops, it will just take me 10 times as long, so where's the sense in that? I feel another letter to my MP coming on....
                              Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                                Strange thing a hose pipe ban. You can't use a hose pipe or jet washer to wash your car at home, but garages and super markets etc are unaffected so you can use both there. I checked with a mate at ST today as I have a fish pond I can use my hose as much as I like to fill the pond even if I have a submersible pump removing the water at the same rate to water my garden with an other hose.

Colin
                                According to the veolia site, you can only fill a pond if it has fish in it, but not if it's just decorative!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X