No announcement yet.

A possible move?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's lots of very sensible advice above which of course you should take heed of but I say go, go, go. You and Lee have so often talked about wanting a more eco friendly lifestyle and the desire to build your own home and that might be possible out there. The worst that can happen is you might have to come back (perhaps poorer and wiser) but I think if you get this job you'd regret it forever if you didn't give it a try.
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

It's supposed to be a wonderful country but personally I'd be quite reluctant to go as there are too many things I'd miss here. As I've said on other threads, I love my life here and although it would sound strange to some of you I wouldn't want to leave my cats (they're quite old now and couldn't travel even if I could sort that all out OK) and as for friends and family, I would miss them terribly. A friend of mine went to Oz a few years ago with his (now) wife. They'd not been before and originally went for 2 years with work. They are now unlikely to come home but the things they miss are not necessarily what you would expect. He misses the football banter in the office and the game with is mates on a Saturday and whilst he can still get to see them on TV it's in the middle of the night so not great. She misses certain shops and the fact that everywhere is so far away. Another thing I know I'd miss is my house and lottie, they give me so much pleasure and leaving and starting over would be a major wrench as even if I came back it wouldn't be the same. It depends on the sort of person you are, I don't have wanderlust but some people are totally the opposite and don't like setting roots at all.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I agree that the company should offer to stump up or at least contribute to the cost of a visit. Also if you went how flexible are things back here? Are you in a position to rent out your house for 6 months in case you didt like it? Would you have to sell up or is it rented?

It has to be a decision that you are both happy with, not just before you go but once you are there too. If you decide to go for it, is it possible to do it on a trail basis without leaving everything you have here? MInd you that sums me up really, indecision indecision!!!

I think its a fab opportunity but dont rush it. Has the company given you a time scale that they want a decision by suzanne?
        http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

I'd go, personally - sounds a great oppourtinity - but then again I've itchy feet and would love to move out of the UK.

Sounds awesome though, all those interviews you went to, and applied for - see, everything hpapens for a reason

Comment

My parents went there on holiday for 6 weeks a couple of years ago, now my mum is pretty conservative generally, but when she came back she was quite down. She said had she been twenty years younger she would have moved there like a shot. No if's or buts.

Now I've never been there and have no experience of it, but it must be a pretty smashing place if my very welsh mother would rather live there than god's own country. I can't offer advise or knowledge, but what I would say is that in life we regret the things we don't do not those that we try and don't succeed at.

If they are really keen on you, could you not go out for three weeks or a month and see if what they have to offer is right for you. You work they fund your trip, its always worth asking.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

It is a wonderful place - especially if you like the outdoors life. The culture is much more 'active lifestyle' than here in the UK - they have huuuuuuge amounts of open spaces and 'tramping' (hiking) is v v popular. Obviously there are elements of British life over there, given the history, so in some ways it is recognisable, if not similar. It's less densely populated, particularly once you're out of the bigger cities and if you're a bit of a culture vulture (theatre, art galleries, music) then you may find it a little lacking compared with what's available in a lot of UK cities. My oldest friend moved out there in 2007 after marrying a Kiwi. She'd been there before (on her post-uni gap year) and loved it so it wasn't totally 'in at the deep end' for her. She's now on her second job (she trains sales reps in large corporates) and her second child and I can't ever see her moving back. A great excuse for us to visit every few years!

If you can give the move and the job a go without burning too many bridges this end (with respect to property etc over here, if you have it) then I'd say go for it. (I've only ever regretted things I haven't done, rather than anything I have done). Certainly look into logistics and ease of employment for the OH - if he can't get work he may find it very difficult to settle into the new life. If it were me, I'd be booking my ticket already - but we're all different and your decision needs to be right for the 2 of you and anyone else who needs to be considered.
              come visit a garden
              or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you do go, Suzanne, make sure you build a big house so we can all come a visit.
                I have a writer friend who went a few years ago and said its a wondeful country. If were young fit and well then i would jump at the chance.
                What ever you and the OH decide, good luck.
                Roger
                Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks for the viewpoints everyone!

If we do decide to go, then we would probably have to sell up here to fund a new start down there, the interview is in London on Monday, so Ive managed to swap my day off to be able to go for the interview, there is no saying I will get the job, but its worth a go! My new job is great, but trying to learn a whole new process and procedures whilst being dropped in as a Store Manager standing alone after only 5 days is pretty stressfull, and Im working a seriously silly amount of hours atm.

I will attend the interview on Monday, and ask a few of the questions that we want to know the answers for. They are looking at possibly August this year, so if we do decide to go, then we would have to move on pretty sharpish!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thought you said you wouldn't be working so many hours now?

Best of luck with your interview. I'm sure you'll be a shoe in.

Comment

Just one question Suzanne. If you do decide to go have you got anyone to carry your bags?

Joking aside I know from experience that you will always ask what/if if you don't give it ago.

I took a risk back in the late 80's it failed. I lost my house and my job, so cleaned of my tools went back into plumbing and heating and bought my house back of the bank a few years later.

Do I regret it? No way it was a chance I had to take at that time in my life and I had SWMBO's agreement and when it all went wrong I still had SWMBO.

Colin
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

You need to consider the property markets here and there ifvyoubhave to sell up. It might not be easy to sell by August without dropping your price.

The market might be moving up in NZ.. Be careful.

Also house price inflation over here is normally higher here than other commonwealth countries. You might sell here, buy there and find that you return home you can no longer afford your old house back.

Just a thought.......But id still go.......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hmm, been looking at house prices round here, unfortunately they have dropped to a point that makes any chance of selling up and paying off everything and having enough spare to put down a deposit on a house out there and start up in NZ.

So, reluctantly Ive withdrawn from the selection process for the time being, perhaps if house prices recover, or if we reach a point that evrything is paid off, then we will look at things again.
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Aw that's not very good.
                            My heart goes out to you. You must be disappointed?

Comment

Sorry to hear your news.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Bummocks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X