fresh cheeses

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep children!!!
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Any questions please ask(but please remember, I'm also learning ), and the next batch I make, I'll try to document with photos. The rennet I get is tablet form but do have liquid measurements too so here goes

Halloumi

4 Litres of un-homogenized full fat milk

1 tablet (or 3 ml's liquid rennet) diluted in 1/4 cup cool non-chlorinated water( I boiled mine then let it cool to get rid of the chlorine)

2ml's of calcium chloride

non iodised salt

Step 1

heat the milk to 45 deg C then add 2mls of calcium chloride
      While stirring add the diluted rennet and stir thoroughly

allow to set(nice firm set) at 45 deg C in a coolerbox with water around to create a water bath(to help maintain temp) until you get a clean break( stick a palette knife in and lift - should be a clean break and see the whey enter the hole you created)

If not a firm set leave for a further 5-10 mins

Step 2

Cut into 1cm cubes with palette knife the very gently stir for a around 10 mins until curds are a lot smaller and slightly springy

Scoop the curds into a colander lined with a muslin cloth to drain

Place a bowl with some weight in it(cans work well) on top of the muslin to press until the curd is firm and slightly rubbery in texture

Cut the curd into desired sized blocks

Step 3

Bring a pot of water to the boil and drop in your curds( stir gently only if starting to stick to bottom)

Cook until the float to the surface

place on a drying rack

Step 4
      Sprinkle salt all over cheese and allow to cool, when cool wrap in clingfilm and store. eat within 2 weeks (yeah right like it ever stays in the fridge that long!)
      Last edited by RedThorn; 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM.
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Sounds simple.........

Nice one RT.
        Last edited by cardiffsteve; 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

It is actually, just trying to cover all the steps...

How hard is it to warm up milk stick some stuff in and leave alone for 45 mins, quickly run a knife through to cut strips the cubes, stir gently for 10 spoon out into a colander and squeeze, cut and boil, dry and salt, wrap, job done

EDIT: all told a hour and a half roughly from start to finish with about with most that time either leaving alone , draining or cooling
          Last edited by RedThorn; 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Comment

Oh my word, you clever thing! Thanks for the instructions, think this is one to try when I'm on hols.....at a risk of pushing one's luck....pics next time would be extra extra fab!

Comment

thanks for that, going to have a go soon. might have to ask for a cow for my birthday for a good supply of milk
              All my projects including my brewing adventures!

www.make-your-own.info

Comment

I can't help being a muppet but what is, and where do I get calcium chloride?
                WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Found it on ebay - it is used to release the calcium in the milk to make the curds firmer. Expensive stuff though!
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I think one person's got their price wrong, £72.99 for 500g compared to 1kg for £3.99, both from the same seller and food grade.
                    Last edited by BarleySugar; 04-03-2012, 06:17 PM.
                    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

sounds good but how do you make cottage cheese or should i know!!

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                        I can't help being a muppet but what is, and where do I get calcium chloride?
                        Fi, if you're a muppet, so am I There's a few sources here for it from beeping expensive to real cheap. (like £65 to treat 25 000 litres of milk)

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                        Found it on ebay - it is used to release the calcium in the milk to make the curds firmer. Expensive stuff though!
                        Thanks for that

WW - I make it the way me gran showed me how when I was a nipper, do not know if it's the way you're thinking of though

You know, I cannot help but think that in bygone years they never had stuff like this, so they prb never used but as they take so much cream and goodness out the milk now days, perhaps that's why we now use
                        Last edited by RedThorn; 05-03-2012, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Different types of cheese need different approaches. My Mum made a 'cream' cheese (actually soft curd cheese, but a creamy texture) by simply letting 'doorstep' milk go sour enough to start separating, then drain it through a muslin (or a pillowcase) and add a bit of salt, and I've done the same within the last few months!
                          If you want something a bit firmer textured, you need rennet (and it's quicker because it makes the milk separate without the delay in going sour), but rennet has been around for a long time...
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Sounds like a science lesson to me, I'll pass on this one and keep the supermarket in business. Good luck to all budding cheese makers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X