Any one got pigs?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post

AP- on our previous plot ( council owned) ...back in the mid 90's- one guy had about 4 pigs on his allotment. I think different councils have their own rules on that.
    I will look further into this. It may be a registration issue and/or something to do with the stricter rules to do with traceability of food etc following BSE and Foot and Mouth. Watch this space

Comment

I would love one down here too,
      Do you think you could keep chickens with them too? Or would the pig just eat them?
      Hmmm!

Time to do some research of my own me thinks

Comment

Originally posted by super trowel View Post
        I would love one down here too,
        Do you think you could keep chickens with them too? Or would the pig just eat them?
        Hmmm!

Time to do some research of my own me thinks
        My chickens used to just give the pigs a wide berth, and everyone seemed to get along ok!
        You'd have to have at least 2 piggies though, it's not good to keep them on their own. They are intelligent and sociable and love company - sort of the opposite to my teenagers really!.....maybe I could swop the teenagers.....!

Comment

Pigs can swim
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Lovely clear water, no wonder they went for a swim. I couldn't imagine eating them though, and we always reared a pig in the back garden for meat when I was small so I'm not overly sentimental. I suppose you need the right mind set from the start - this is dinner, not a pet.
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
              Ahh, but can they fly?
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Thinking of 3 now- in case there is a problem with one of them then there won't be one left on its own.

Gosh there's lots of stuff about pig keeping on the internet!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                  Ahh, but can they fly?
                  tsk....only you would come up with that!

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                    Ahh, but can they fly?
                    Anything's possible...
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

touche!
                      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Kept pigs for years, 'way back'. If you are planning on a woodland setting, I'd go for tammies (Tamworths), BUT they ARE good at getting where they are not meant to be. We kept 2 tammie sows in an electric-fenced section of garden (actually 2 adjoining minifields, one each) and one of them learned that if she stood close to the electric-fencer unit, and listened for the 'tick', she could rush the fence and get out without the sting.
                        Tammies also have such personalities that it is even easier to get attached to them than other breeds.
                        Spots might be a safer bet, because like most 'floppy eared' breeds they are less prone to seek escape routes than the ones with erect ears.
                        The other thing is that Tammies (and even Tammy crosses) have a distinct (and delicious) flavour as bacon!
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

OK- Hilary- thanks for that- very interesting!...our friend whose land it is is very worried about escape artists- outside the electric fencing are acres and acres of unfenced land/ancient woodland - !

Sounds like the Spots would be more suited then?
                          ( not wanting bacon from them- just tender juicy meat)

Comment

have you thought about saddlbacks thats what i have and they are really friendly and docile you will never want meat from a butcher again after tasting the meat superb

Comment

Saddlebacks?...tell me more!
                              Why did you choose them over other breeds?

Comment

We have just had the most amazing roast pork belly....you can't beat 'proper' meat, properly reared.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X