No announcement yet.

Brands or Basics

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigmallly I am a total convert to value brands these days - have found substitutes for all my most expensive favourites
    Even better are my home made, home grown these days I am now trying to arrange swaps with neighbours who like the home made produce.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Sainsburys Gold Roast instant coffee. Buy it in a 500g tin for about £6 - which is about the same price as 200g of Nescanteen's Gold Blend. Pleb that I am, I can't tell the difference!

Comment

Almost all of my shopping is now done in Aldi. As a friend pointed out, they've 'done the shopping for you'. I absolutely hate supermarkets. If I want baked beans, I don't want to have to choose between several different brands. Other than their decaf instant coffee, I've not found anything there that's not up to scratch and cheaper than other places. (the only decaf instant coffee I like is from the co op, but as I prefer to buy Fairtrade coffee, that's not a problem)
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

We shop at Aldi for basics then we buy loose tea from the Co-op, flour from corn merchant and meat for the local butchers.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Now you mention it...I said I've not found anything not up to scratch...after an experience with extra greasy mince, I don't even look at the meat counter! (except some of their German preserved stuff)

Comment

Seven Hills Dry White is nice, ASDA £3.28
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Tesco do some basic shortbread fingers that are under 20p also some pasta that is very cheap. All in the blue packet and all very good
                Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
                  We have a supermarket here called LeClerc who pride themselves on only selling brands...you cant buy a LeClerc this or a LeClerc that....so we go to Carrefour where they have a basics own brand range which includes smoked salmon.
                  Absolutely no help or use to anyone in Blighty but I just thought as I'm posting again I might as well join in on as many threads as I possibly can.....
                  Well, it's useful for me and Nicos! Have you got a Super U? They're good too.

Comment

I buy basics as in farm shop meat. Our food bill got chopped in half, by buying direct. I'm supporting local business and it's fresher than fresh.
                    Supermarket Basics tend to be made with cheaper ingredients, particularly on condiments - do what I do and make your own.
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I don't do supermarkets, find that if I go in I pretty much double what I spend on food. Get meat from the farm shop when in season and freeze and use a lot of cheaper cuts. Veggies, grow all my own, bread, cakes etc all home made so only really buy fruit and storecupboard stuffs which I get from Northern Havest. Theyr'e not cheap but the quality is high and I don't end up buying stuff I don't need so spend less in the long run. Was with a friend a the weekend in Sainsbury's and was shoked by how much a very basic trolley of food cost, loads more than I spend and she wasn't being stupid about things.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

We buy Sainsburys Basics range of most stuff (white and orange packaging), or just Sainsburys own. I've even converted Mr OWG to own brand ketchup and mayo!

For example, kidney beans are 19p a tin, tinned tomatoes are 42p, butter is £1.19, natural yoghurt is 55p for 500g, spaghetti is 35p per packet....

Comment

I Love Aldi & Lidl. Their cold meats selections are excellent (no added water in most, especially continental meats) and their fresh meats are good too. Interestingly, the fresh chicken in Aldi has added water, but the frozen Premium chicken fillets (£3.99 for 700g which is £5.70 kg) doesn't have any added water and it's the nearest I've come to the breast meat we got from our cockerels.

I get cheesed off with Asda's so-called Roll-back offers, which never stay rolled back for more than 5 minutes, but if I have to do a huge shop, then that's where I go. We have a Sainsburys, a Tescos and a Waitrose here too. I dislike Tesco immensely, but that's personal. Sainsburys isn't cheap but it's closest and our Waitrose have fabulous bargains on Sunday afternoons (two roasted chickens for £1.50 the other weekend) and Wednesday mornings.

An Italian once told me that brand pastas and basics all come from the same producers; ditto for rices, soap powders and a lot of other things.

Jules
                          Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
                            OMG BigMally in a wet suit.....
                            It was OMG Bins in goose grease that sprung to mind

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              I don't do supermarkets, find that if I go in I pretty much double what I spend on food.
                              That's why I tend to go to Aldi. They don't have (as many) of the extras that the larger supermarkets convince you you need...although I did go in last week for hair dye and came out with two fruit trees

Comment

Talking of making your own does anyone know how to make mustard?
                                Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X