Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drought southern England - How will you cope? - What can be done?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
    You can use bathwater to water non-root veg
    Bath water contains faecal matter: do you want that on your lettuces?

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
    have a young-un who has a bath everyday
    It's not necessary to have a bath every day: it's a luxury. We used to have a bath on a Sunday, and a strip wash every morning. Because of my eczema, I still only bathe once a week

Water is not a limited resource, we are surrounded by the stuff, maybe parts of England need to consider desalination.
    We are, but it will increase bills again.Water desalination plant opens for testing in Beckton, London | Environment | The Guardian
    The south and east UK don't get as much rain as the north and west, and they use more (over-population around London).
    Our rivers and streams are drying up: yet water still comes out of the taps, and water companies are making money hand over fist. I predict that water butts, which we're encouraged to use, will have to be licensed sometime in the future.

Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
    I made everyone use the overbath shower, with the plug in
    We do that, and this year the loo isn't going to be flushed so much
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 22-02-2012, 09:16 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hmm - I think I'll get one of those syphon thingummyjigs. Thanks for the link TS.

These days I take more baths as I am not showering and dashing out to work in the mornings.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
        as long as people are prepared to pay for it - it's a very expensive way to get water in energy terms, whereas it's free from the sky, it just needs better storage than we have at present. Building more reservoirs would be much less costly and save much more energy in the long term.
        Water out the sky is free but it still needs treating and then transporting to the right place. Reservoirs aren't cheap or easy to build and have a detrimental effect on the land taken (especially if you live on / off it). Yes desal isn't cheap but neither are the alternatives. As has already been said, one of the main things that needs to be looked at is useage, we use far more than we every used to and far too much is wasted. Ideally a lot of our water useage doesn't need to be potable quality, obviously for drinking etc but does toilet water really need to be good enough to drink, obvioulsy not but the infrastructure isn't set up for dual supplies and it's not easy to retrofit. Oh and it's raining here

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

How does it work with allotments? The water on our lottie got turned off in November and will presumably go on again in the spring. We just about escaped drought/hose pipe bans in this part of Suffolk last summer, but what happens if drought is declared in my neck of the woods this summer? Does the water to the lottie get restricted in some way?....and how are lottie water bills paid? I pay less than 20quid a year for my half plot, and although ours is a biggish field, the water use must be phenomenal.
          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

^ I don't use much from the tap, tbh. I have a few water butts and they nearly always supply enough I only water seedlings really, bigger plants might get a drink once a week if it's hot. I don't water the surface, I use upturned pop bottles to get the water to the roots where it's needed.

Using watering cans instead of hosepipes really makes you more mindful of the waste.

Comment

The water is usually turned off on our site over the winter too, Vince. I think it's more to do with frozen and bursting pipes.

I shower everyday, don't think I could do without, but it's a two minute job and not a power shower. The kiddies just bath either once or twice a week...at their age, they don't smell and I don't think it's good for their skin to have them more often.

I don't have many plants in the garden, just a peach tree and Christmas tree in pots and a few herbs, tomatoes and peppers and now strawberries...oh, and a few flowers. They'll all get either bath or washing up water.

Also, lovely as it may seem to 'stay on top of things'...I'm resisting the urge to wash up breakfast things if it's just two bowls. For some reason you still run as much water.

And to finish...'If it's yellow, let it mellow....If it's brown, flush it down'
              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

"if it's yellow ... NO! not in the loo, I need you to do it on the compost heap !"

Comment

But my compost heaps at the lottie, a long way to cross my legs! Maybe I should get a bucket.
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Water is not a limited resource, we are surrounded by the stuff, maybe parts of England need to consider desalination.
                    ready-to-use drinkable water IS a limited resource, and desalination is not exactly environmentally friendly.....
                    The amount of water WASTED (much of it via leaking pipework, but that is no excuse for individuals to be wasteful too) would go waaay beyond what we need without any desalination or similar nonsense.
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary B View Post
                      You can use bathwater to water non-root veg
                      Bath water contains faecal matter: do you want that on your lettuces?

It won't BE on the lettuces, the water goes on the SOIL not the PLANTS!
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post

It won't BE on the lettuces, the water goes on the SOIL not the PLANTS!
                        I just wanted to make the point to anyone new that's reading, that grey water is not recommended for veggies, because of the bacteria issue. We're always hearing about the scares: beansprouts & watermelons are the latest ones that I recall.

If you do it, carefully, that's your choice my lovely. Who knows what I put on my own veg plot

Comment

Surely if you wash your veg before eating or cooking it then it will be fine. Horse/cow muck is faeces and loads of people use that on their plots.

Comment

I just wonder what people do in their baths - surely they could use a toilet instead?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                              Horse/cow muck is faeces
                              But it's composted, and the pathogens have been killed.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                in their baths - surely they could use a toilet instead?
                                We wash our private parts. That invariably means that faecal matter and bacteria will enter the water.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X