No announcement yet.

Charging for green waste collection!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We do now. How they would feel about me filling their bins that they are paying for and I'm not, I'm not sure but we're on good enough terms to ask. This is where excess veg is useful for bartering. It will be interesting to see what the take up is in April.

Comment

Can you share the cost?

Comment

Possibly. I'll have to wait and see who takes it up and who doesn't. We did n't have a green bin when we moved here and managed so I'm sure we will again.

Comment

My district council does it a different way. If you want green waste collected, you have to rent a bin - used to be £26pa but I think it's gone up to £32pa now. You pay the money, they deliver a bin to you, and then it's a once a fortnight collection, if the bin is on the street, they empty it.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Around here you get the bins (up to 3 after approved application) free,with fortnightly collection at no extra charge (basic charge is included in rates)
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              I've filled 2 bins with brambles (I don't compost these are they're so painful when they dry out). I could have borrowed my neighbour's bin if I'd had more.
              So if you don't put much out, can you binshare with a neighbour?
              I'd have thought binshare was the way to beat the council at this payment game.

Brambles though - long and straight are used for making skeps. It was on that war time thingy.

Comment

If you'd like my brambles, AD
                I have a beautiful straw skep that I was given when we started beekeeping - one's enough for me

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                  Only very large prunings when all my compost bins are full. Honeysuckle is tricky to compost or shred
                  OK.

I don't dump large prunings of anything: everything (I have lots of shrubs: holly, hawthorn, choisya etc) gets chopped up into smaller bits with secateurs and/or a sharp pruning saw.

If it's really hard wood, it goes into a pile under the hedge for wildlife (beetles etc). If it's leafier stuff, like honeysuckle, it just gets dropped on my beds (as a mulch) or into the compost bins.

I do get pretty large branches, esp in the school gardens. I tackle the job a little at a time so I don't injure myself. I prune the buddleja (4) over a period of about 5 weeks, sawing the big bits into 12" logs which go in the wildlife area, or on my chiminea. Then the chiminea ash goes on the onion beds.
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 30-11-2012, 05:44 PM.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just looked into this again for our council.
                    £20 for the bin
                    £40 per year for the service, fornightly collection between April and November.

We signed up for this a while ago but recently found out that our lane is too small for the bin lorry to get down, which is odd as the other lorries manage it just fine.

Comment

Our green bin scheme starts in April £35 pa, but we have no road access

Looks like I'll be carting it all up to the plot in my grannie trolley

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                        Our green bin scheme starts in April £35 pa, but we have no road access

Looks like I'll be carting it all up to the plot in my grannie trolley
                        How are your other bins emptied? Just being nosey!

I will have to decide soon whether to sign up for our green water collections, which up until now were covered under the Council Tax. It's going to be £29. Trouble is I only use it occasionally so I think overall I have talked myself out of using it. When the bins were issued we could have a 240 litre bin or a 140 litre one. I went for the small one as I don't use it all the time. I tried asking if I could have a pro-rata reduction for a small bin, down to about £17 by my reckoning, I was told no there will only be one charge. Worth asking!
                        Last edited by WendyC; 28-02-2013, 05:03 PM.

Comment

This is just a bleeding rip off because the Council's have not increased the Community Charge or whatever they call rates these days.

Comment

I'm not overjoyed as you can imagine. The case being argued is that not everyone use it, e.g. people in flats, so is fairer to charge those who do. Personally I don't think that washes as you could start arguing about what everyone does and doesn't use. For example I never use the local swimming pool so can I opt out of my council tax going towards the upkeep of that? On the other hand I am not going to fight the council on this one as I think there are more important issues to fight, e.g. the building of 2500 houses on the farm bounding our village which no-one wants but the council seem determined to force on us.

Comment

ours dont charge for green waste... yet anyway. Someone set frie to my blue bin tho had the fire squad out and everything, rang the council for a new bin over £40 they wanted

Comment

How are your other bins emptied?
                                At the moment we put all rubbish out in black sacks - they're still debating whether to continue this or give us all wheelie bins which we will have to pull down to the deadend road at the end of our footpath.
                                Obviously the council haven't given it much thought, as usual

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X