No announcement yet.

Tinned tomatoes - a health risk?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canned tuna appears to have higher levels of BPA but the value of 50mcg in a tin of tom seems a lot higher than reported in this study.

Survey of Bisphenol A in Canned Food Products from Canadian Markets [Health Canada, 2010]

which I reckon is about 23 mcg per litre. Who eats a litre of tomatoes in one go?
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I eat loads of tuna It's the 'blocking thyroxine receptors' bit of it all that worries me. I have a big problem with something like that at the moment - my body apparently has adequate levels of thyroxine, yet acts like it has very little. *sigh*

So, that's tinned tomatoes, tuna and soup off the shopping list then.

Comment

Does anybody know what tetrapaks are lined with? Personally I try and avoid using them as they're such a mixed up thing which doesn't recycle easily even though we can now take them to the tip I'm not exactly convinced about what they do with them

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've just looked in two, one orange juice and one apple juice. Orange just has a very waxy texture whilst the apple has something like a thin layer of tin foil. Will I be compounding the concern by mentioning that aluminuim has been linked to Alzheimers?
          History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

that aluminuim has been linked to Alzheimers?
            Linked in the past, yes. But the connection couldn't be proved when the research was done

Comment

Am I really typing this. Tinned toms have been a favourite all my life and I ain't dead yet.

Seriously though I tend to take things like this with a 'pinch of salt'. Through out my years health risks scares have come and gone. Do you remember the one back in the 60s/70s when someone produced a report proving that if you drank black coffee and ate fried bacon at the same time the mixture was carcinogenic. A few years later it was proved that you would have to eat a pig and drink a barrel full for it to have any effect.

Last week a new report stated that fried food can be good for you providing you use oil not lard. Luckily I have been using oil for years just for the taste.

If this one turns out to be true then I am afraid its to late for me a can of tarantella toms a week in the winter for nearly 60 years will have done for me.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                Linked in the past, yes. But the connection couldn't be proved when the research was done
                Which raises the question about the research that has been done with regard to this report about the coating on tin cans. Asking the experts doesn't always help as they often don't agree!
                History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
                  Which raises the question about the research that has been done with regard to this report about the coating on tin cans. Asking the experts doesn't always help as they often don't agree!
                  Ask 10 experts, you'll probably get 11 answers!
                  Of course originally 'tins' were actually lined with tin, a relatively unreactive metal, but no doubt somewhat expensive and complicated to use and recover (and maybe they found a 'health-risk' several decades ago as well).
                  Have to admit that I go along with Pots on this one. They are a staple of recipes throughout the year, curry, chilli, and assorted stews would be impractical without my tins of chopped tomatoes!
                  For those who feel that the (not-really-proven) risk is unacceptable, that is their business, but I ain't changing!
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I'm going with Pots and Hilary on this one. I use tinned tomatoes when I don't have any fresh or frozen ones and will continue to do so.

Comment

I also use passata in cardboard boxes (heaven knows what they are lined with) when they are on special offer.

Comment

The major risk with tin cans was eliminated years ago. They used to be soldered together and this could give rise to lead poisoning if you used enough of them. There is one famous case of some explorers looking for the North West Passage who became marooned. As they died they were buried in the perma-frost which preserved their bodies. Years later they were excavated and all had died form lead poisoning.

Irrelevant but interesting.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Not totally irrelevant Colin, there have always been risks with preserving food. Remember the botulism scare a few years ago?

Comment

I usually buy the tetrapak tomatoes because they're lighter to carry and take up less room in the food cupboard.
                            But if the tins or jars are cheaper, they're my choice! Lined tins are used for other fruit and veg too - from memory, some baked beans, pineapple...... perhaps anything acidic.
                            I've heard so many food scares in my time that I take each one with a pinch of salt - and that's something else to avoid!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                              Studies show that the BPA in most people's body exceeds the amount that suppresses sperm production
                              didn't stop me having 3 kids.
                              www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Shooting off at a tangent..............as I usually do . I won't buy or drink bottled water............I am probably wrong, but always believe I can taste the plastic from the bottle.
                                I'll just stick with Adams Ale if you don't mind!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X