No announcement yet.

Ideas for a new job

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you get a medical retirement from teaching (especially as your neurologist has advised it's time to leave your career for the sake of your health) The pension will soften the financial blow. Then perhaps part-time work in horticulture.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, I have to admit I would love to do something along the gardening lines. I did toy with the idea of a horticultural therapist, but there are few jobs in that line (and probably will be even fewer now ). My GP yesterday also said I need to consider giving up teaching, so I do really need to consider it seriously. I'm off until Christmas, but I can't see how the situation is going to change after then either. OH is also making medical retirement noises, he has seen all the hoops I've had to jump through over the last 3 years, and everytime I think I've managed to do what is asked, something else comes up. One teacher went part time last year, but she said although she only gets paid for 2 days, she now gets in at 6.30am, and goes about 5.30pm, and still works on planning and marking a lot at home

I contacted the council about running a small food business from home yesterday, and they are sending out an information pack. I've already got the food hygiene certificate, but would probably have to do some renovation to the kitchen to conform with regulations (this might be possible with the small amount of money left to me by my Mum recently). The idea is perhaps to just attend farmers markets etc at the start to sell jams, chutneys and cakes. Maybe an Internet presence, practice my website development skills, would be possible too.
      Obviously I could also look at plants and other crafts I used to do but haven't had the time for since taking up teaching, but with non-edible products people will be tightening their belts, and not perhaps be so likely to buy. I know it wouldn't bring in much, but starting small would not involve too much outlay either. At the moment anything that distracts me from brooding is good, so even if the planning etc comes to naught, it will still serve a purpose.

Dobbies is opening a new store nearby too, but unfortunately they are recruiting now, which is too soon for me.
      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Can I recommend the book "Transferring Your Teaching Skills into the Wider World" by Deborah Lewis and Hilary White. I got my copy from Amazon. Haven't be brave enough to make the move anywhere but is an interesting read. Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks Wendy, I'll pop over there and have a look.

We went to Faversham this afternoon, and found a jam and cake shop. I really liked the look of the set up, but finance would be a problem It looked like she had a kitchen at the back, and was selling homemade jams and cakes, as well as some sweets and ornamental odds and ends.
          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
            GCHQ are looking for codebreakers

Have a go

Can you crack it?
            Oh bullocks - that's me lost several hours of my life.....
            Last edited by piskieinboots; 05-12-2011, 01:39 PM.
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X