Disruption -Wednesday 30 November 2011

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    I don't know BB but I dare bet there will be a skeleton crew still working to cover emergencies!
    Yep I dare say there will,but I also dare say they will suffer bile & derision from the pickets while gaining access to the buildings.
    Then there is the question,should these workers/scabs (depending on your point of view) reap the same benefits that may be achieved by the strikers ?
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
      Well let us all hope & pray that those who are actively supporting this day of action do not suffer from a medical emergency,heaven forbid this should happen but if it did,best hope & pray there are some conscientious medical staff that have followed their conscience rather than union advise
      There will be cover and I seriously doubt anyone with a true medical emergency will suffer. People who work in the NHS generally do it because they're caring, nurturing and want to help people. For them to feel they must strike at all is a very, very big deal. Lets not make any of them feel more conflicted and guilty than they perhaps already do.
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

I thought that old b Mrs T made picket lines illegal...or was it just flying pickets.

Strike won't afffect me at all. I work in a convenience store and will also be at work on Boxing day. Yes I will get a day off in lieu but it will be a day when the rest of my family will be at work. I walk to work so if bad weather decends I will be one of the members of staff that can be relied upon to turn up. The fact that I have no travell expenses makes up for the low pay and enhances my carbon footprint. My kids are grown up so don't have to worry about teachers striking. Can't and never could afford a pension (for reasons that I won't discuss on this forum).

We all have our crosses to bare but if I was to inflict mine on a complete stranger I'm guessing they wouldn't be too sympathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
          Yep I dare say there will,but I also dare say they will suffer bile & derision from the pickets while gaining access to the buildings.
          Then there is the question,should these workers/scabs (depending on your point of view) reap the same benefits that may be achieved by the strikers ?
          You misunderstand me BB.
          The union (I would hope) will have organised emergency cover with management. These few workers shouldn't be hampered, as I imagine would be the case with emergency vehicles.
          I don't work at a hospital, so I don't know for sure..............

Maybe a hospital worker can enlighten us?
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

MYTH: Unions strike at the first opportunity, without a thought for the consequences

Nobody takes the decision to strike lightly. Strikes are very expensive – the cost to the unions of 30 November, including ballots, will be millions of pounds. Union members will sacrifice up to £100 million in pay altogether.

The unions are taking action because other options have been blocked by the government. It effectively froze negotiations. It is only the threat of strikes that has led to any change in the government’s position.

When the unions do eventually decide they have to resort to strikes, they discuss with employers to organise emergency cover and ensure that no one is in danger and vulnerable people are not harmed.

Home care for the elderly, urgent operations and accident and emergency departments all continue to function. Unions agree with employers that enough people are exempt from the strike to make sure this is the case.
            From: Mythbuster: The truth about the unions | Red Pepper

Comment

Public sector workers need to "get real" and try living within the private sector terms and conditions.
              Last edited by scarletrunner; 25-11-2011, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Why do they? Perhaps the private sector needs to 'get with the program' and bring pensions up to scratch! With some of the 600 odd billion that our corporations have stashed in British banks at the moment maybe.

Comment

Q
                  Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Surely thats the point?

Hopefully it will do some good, and if it doesn't the unions will just have to 'up the ante.'
                  I personally am losing a days pay for something I believe in and may possibly lose more days/weeks/months pay in the future!
                  this is the real problem.....it's the upping the ante next time. All for no good! The anarchists will be in clover at the thought of Opportunities to up the ante.

I envisage massive destructive disruption if you up the ante. Unfortunately TS bins are likely not to be emptied regularly in the coming months........ok for TS cause she is a recycling goddess but the average joe will let it mount up......remember 1979 the winter of discontent? How great was that?

There will be violence at picket lines when those who need and want to work clash with the Pickets.

And guess what! There is not enough money to maintain the current levels of pension benefit........Sensible change is enevitable. Face it don't ignore it.......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
                    Q

this is the real problem.....it's the upping the ante next time. All for no good! The anarchists will be in clover at the thought of Opportunities to up the ante.

And guess what! There is not enough money to maintain the current levels of pension benefit........Sensible change is enevitable. Face it don't ignore it.......
                    So do you think that anarchists make up most of a unions membership? Or that a few anarchists will disrupt and oerthrow the majority of peaceful people to throw some projectiles?

As for the money, don't forget that we have the highest number of oaps at the moment, in the next ten to twenty years, they'll be dead. The population is 'elderly-heavy' because this is the time when most of the post-war baby boom are coming to pensionable age.

Comment

Newton, did you read any of the stuff in that link I posted? Perhaps you didn't notice the bit where it explains about unions negotiating enough staff being allowed to work to keep things running?

Perhaps you could read some other articles, particularly the other 'myth buster' links? And explain how corporations in this country have over 600 billion deposited in British banks, but 'there is no money for investment'? If this money was spent on capital projects and job creation, tax revenue would go up, and benefit bills would go down. But no, it has to be hoarded, and the people at the bottom have to be squeezed until their pips squeek.

'There is not enough money' is the biggest load of b******t that this country is swallowing hook, line and sinker. 'There is not enough money that we are prepared to share' is what they're really saying, because that's how capitalism works.

Comment

Have you heard about working capital? And the billions being hoarded does not belong to the pension pots of the local authority workers so it is just not theirs to claim........

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Yes I do know what working capital is. Make your mind up Newton either it is working capital or it is being hoarded can't be both.
                          I don't think that Sarz is suggesting that the hoarded billions should be used in pensions. If you re read her post properly she is submitting the idea that maybe there is more money available than previously thought
                          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                            Why do they? Perhaps the private sector needs to 'get with the program' and bring pensions up to scratch!
                            Indeed, there is no need to bring everything down to the lowest common denominator!

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                              Indeed, there is no need to bring everything down to the lowest common denominator!
                              Being a Private sector worker,i find the description above highly offensive and typical of public sector greed!

Comment

Now Now people keep your rattles in your prams.

If I who is to the right of Khengis Khan can remain civil others should find it easy so lets not get personal please.

I don't agree with the strike at all mainly because I don't think it will achieve anything worthwhile.

I notice there are a lot of people knocking the bankers, but have you ever thought that without investment bankers you would not have a pension that is any pension at all.

Colin
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X