Did you know......?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The average xmas dinner contains aprox 3500 Calories
    "... discipline is what the world needs today and etiquette, you know. For one of the noblest things a man can do is to do the best he can, yeah ..."

Prince Far I (1944-1983)

Comment

Originally posted by Fruit&2veg View Post
      The average xmas dinner contains aprox 3500 Calories
      Piffle, that's only the starter!

So Jax, that's mistletoe done how about holly, and the yule log?
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post

Ff - Your singing is lovely!
        Ya think????...the birds are dropping out of the trees even at this distance!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

England’s 'Long Parliament' of 1646 banned mince pie, Christmas pudding and Christmas dinners of more than 3 courses. These laws were never repealed, so technically they are still in effect!
          fraid not.... those laws were lifted in 1660 with the resotration of the monarchy

Comment

There are several legends 'explaining' the red berries on holly, as well as the Norse legend about why mistletoe grws on trees rather than on the ground.
            History of the traditions now used is another matter entirely. I'm better at legends.
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              Ya think????...the birds are dropping out of the trees even at this distance!
              That's not me singing, I'm pretty good with the old bow and arrow, ask AP!
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                I'm better at legends.
                Me too, especially lamb legends.

Comment

For Mikey: The origins of the Yule Log can be traced back to the Midwinter festivals in which the Norsemen indulged...nights filled with feasting, "drinking Yule" and watching the fire leap around the log burning in the home hearth. The ceremonies and beliefs associated with the Yule Log's sacred origins are closely linked to representations of health, fruitfulness and productivity. In England, the Yule was cut and dragged home by oxen or horses as the people walked alongside and sang merry songs. It was often decorated with evergreens and sometimes sprinkled with grain or cider before it was finally set alight.

Some sources state that the origin of Yule is associated with an ancient Scandinavian fertility god and that the large, single Log is representative of a phallic idol. Tradition states that this Log was required to burn for twelve days and a different sacrifice to the fertility god had to be offered in the fire on each of those twelve days.
                  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Holly: To avoid persecution during the Roman pagan festival of Saturnalis, the early Christians decked their homes with Saturnalia holly. As Christian numbers increased and their customs prevailed, holly and mistletoe lost their pagan associations and became symbols of Christmas.

Holly was the sacred plant of Saturn and was used at the Roman Saturnalia festival to honor him. Romans gave one another holly wreaths and carried them about decorating images of Saturn with it. Centuries later, in December, while other Romans continued their pagan worship, Christians celebrated the birth of Jesus . To avoid persecution, they decked their homes with Saturnalia holly. As Christian numbers increased and their customs prevailed, holly lost its pagan association and became a symbol of Christmas.

The Druids believed that holly, with its shiny leaves and red berries stayed green to keep the earth beautiful when the sacred oak lost it leaves. They wore sprigs of holly in their hair when they went into the forest to watch their priests cut the sacred mistletoe.

The plant has come to stand for peace and joy, people often settle arguments under a holly tree. Holly is believed to frighten off witches and protect the home from thunder and lightning. In West England it is said sprigs of holly around a young girl's bed on Christmas Eve are suppose to keep away mischievous little goblins. In Germany, a piece that has been used in church decorations is regarded as a charm against lightning. In England, British farmers put sprigs of holly on their beehives. On the first Christmas, they believed, the bees hummed in honor of the Christ Child. The English also mention the "he holly and the she holly" as being the determining factor in who will rule the household in the following year, the "she holly" having smooth leaves and the "he holly" having prickly ones. Other beliefs included putting a sprig of holly on the bedpost to bring sweet dreams and making a tonic from holly to cure a cough. All of these references give light to "decking the halls with boughs of holly."

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Comment

Cheers Jax.

I knew a little about the Yule log from 'Tales from the green valley', which i think got renamed to be the Edwardian Farm, though I might be wrong.

I fancy making mead, as this seems wholly appropriate for christmas, but have unfortunately left it far too late.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                        fraid not.... those laws were lifted in 1660 with the resotration of the monarchy
                        OOPs! so they were! Even me long term memory is fading, LOL
                        "... discipline is what the world needs today and etiquette, you know. For one of the noblest things a man can do is to do the best he can, yeah ..."

Prince Far I (1944-1983)

Comment

OOPs! so they were! Even me long term memory is fading, LOL
                          Gosh- even I can't managed to remember back as far as 1660!!!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

On Twelfth Night, my mum used to burn the holly she had decorated the house with. She said it was unlucky if you found any in the house after that. Wonder what that's all about. Jax? You seem to be doing a grand job so far.
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I'll give it a go Flo. Back in a mo x

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Comment

On a druidy website it says: After Christmas, the holly still had an important part to play. On Hogmanay in the Scottish Highlands, boys whipped each other with its prickly boughs - for good luck! For each drop of blood drawn from this painful rite meant a year of good health and prosperity. In some p laces, Christmas holly had to be burned at Twelfth Night, or ill-luck would follow. Another old custom ruled that it should stay up until Shrove Tuesday, and yet another, that it must be kept until the following year to protect the house from Lightning. In Scotland, Candlemas Eve (February 1st) was the proper time, before the old festival of Brigid welcomed in the returning light.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X