Which is the Best Milk Stout?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
    It's more a chewy crust, nothing like custard or blancmange skin. OMG blancmange....bleurghh!

Jules
    The SKIN on my Mother's blancmange was chewy and crusty!! Don't know how she did it but it was revolting

Comment

oh no.
      I thought Terry Pratchett made them up. I'm so disappointed that they're real.

Comment

Chewy and crusty skin Clootie skin is chewy and yummy (use cold tea to get a really chewy skin)

Comment

Can someone explain to us? I read Frosty mention them somewhere, but no idea what they are?
          Are they nice?

Mackeson is the best milk stout - my Gran used to drink it all the time, that or Guinness!

Comment

Thea, a clootie dumpling is a (sort of) boiled cake (but it's a dumpling). Make with flour, suet (I use veggie suet as I have very bad childhood memories of suet (beef) dumplings that could break your teeth), syrup, spices, dried fruit etc and boil in a cloot (cloth) for about three hours. Lovely just sliced with a cup of tea or if it's getting a bit by it's best, after frying bacon pop a slice of the clootie in the frying pan and heat through - delish. Clootie Dumpling is the best (unless you buy it from a supermarket in which case)

Comment

Thanks Frostie - so its it a bit like a cross between a christmas pud and a steamed pudding?

Comment

Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
                Chewy and crusty skin Clootie skin is chewy and yummy (use cold tea to get a really chewy skin)
                How do you use cold tea to get a chewy skin? As for frying leftovers in bacon fat! Are you sure you're not Terry Pratchett?
                This is a new book in the Clootie World series.

Comment

Aah, you boil the clootie in tea not water to get a chewy skin. Deffo not Terry Pratchett Clootie and bacon for a New Year brekkie - I'm slobbering thinking about it!
                  Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 19-11-2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I think I'm over my disappointment now that I can try them

Comment

Right, I'm intent on making mine this week! I'm working all weekend, but home again on Monday, so maybe Tuesday.....I'll post a photo of it (providing it works...)

Jules
                      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

so, how long do clooties last for?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X