No announcement yet.

English Fancy Dress

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wear a black polo neck, or ill-fitting t-shirt, hoik your trousers up too high and have a non-descript hair cut. Go as Simon Cowel - a cultural icon. Walk round all day with your tongue pressed against your cheek.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      You put them on over your normal clothes innit
      My PJs arent that big!!

The idea is to come to school in PJs and you pay £1 penalty to do it....so I not long dont have to look a complete t*t, but I save a quid too...mean arent I?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Enforced cheerfulness: that's exactly why I hate Christmas, but I get called all kinds of names for that :rolls eyes:
        Great minds think alike ... I don't adhere to any official celebration , valentines, new year, christmas etc.
        Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          A few pints of Brains and anything sounds good

cannibalism

He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Must be a Royal brain - with blue blood. Yukky!!!!

Comment

I got horribly drunk on brains beer the one and only time I went to Cardiff ..... " pint of brains barman" makes me chuckle everytime I think about it.
              Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by DGoulston View Post
                Ok, So my wife's place of work has told her that she HAS to wear fancy dress for "children in need" or she will get sent home.

they have said you can wear cultural dress from your country.

She is from England, so she said she would come in her own clothes then.
                And basically they said no, she is not allowed. Darren
                Is it not very insulting to people of other nationalities to imply that English cultural dress is "normal", and every other country's cultural dress is "fancy dress" (and by implication, to be laughed at)?
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

I love a laugh me but I absolutely hate children in need, comic relief etc etc. Happy to donate to charity but prefer that its not compulsory. We always have "dress down" days at work that we have to pay for whatever we may have already donated, and TBH my big boss is a right miserable ar*e over all sorts of trivial stuff so when he insists I break all the poxy rules (that suddenly dont matter!) and be jolly to make him look good I end up doing a nice line in passive resistance.....But then Im an awkward cow...............

Comment

Every year when dressing up days come round I'm so glad I don't work Fridays and have a good excuse not to dress up. Do have to don the chiton for the annual Greek day though!

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                      Is it not very insulting to people of other nationalities to imply that English cultural dress is "normal", and every other country's cultural dress is "fancy dress" (and by implication, to be laughed at)?
                      I don't think that's been implied anywhere ...? I think the "laugh", if there is one to be squeezed out of this, is that England even has a cultural dress
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think the "laugh", if there is one to be squeezed out of this, is that England even has a cultural dress
                        Yes, the Morris dancing thing is based on martial arts displays done by Dervish prisoners captured by the Crusaders, isn't it ?

T shirts are American...I don't know where bowler hats come from, but other than a pin stripe suit, the only truly "English/British" dress I can think of is a Chav(ess) in a white shell suit and bling...or maybe these days, riot(ing) gear ?

Sadly I missed the fancy dress day at work when everyone dressed up in something Halloweenish. But there it was all purely voluntary - we're almost all volunteers - nobody would say boo to a goose if you came in wearing streetwear.
                        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

And so DG- what has she finally decided to wear?..is she going with her original plan??

Whatever she wears- I hope the day goes well
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                            And so DG- what has she finally decided to wear?..is she going with her original plan??

Whatever she wears- I hope the day goes well
                            Yes she is going as a football player, so she is quite happy! thanks all the the suggestions. If it was me I would have gone for the most crazy outfit I could think of! lol
                            Darren
                            Chilli Grower
                            mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
                            +----------------------------------+
                            | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|
                            +----------------------------------+

Comment

We've been asked to wear something spotty tomorrow: last year I painted black spots on my eyelids and kept freaking the kids out by winking at them
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think I would have worn my dog-walking outfit, complete with muddy wellies. It's as 'English Cultural' as anything else.
                                wrt to the question of 'any other' national dress being 'not normal', yes, but OUR 'national dress' (if we had one) would be 'not normal' in their country!
                                Reminds me of my daughter's teacher who demanded that the class write something 'in dialect'. Not easy for someone whose parents and early life are firmly 'home counties', but her best friend was from Yorkshire....
                                The teacher had in mind a Scottish/local 'dialect', being an SNP enthusiast (this was when we lived in Orkney, about a third of the class were English, a third local and the rest mainly Scottish, with the odd elsewherian)
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X