Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not self sufficient - but getting old...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
    start cycling.
    I do that

Originally posted by taff View Post
    look into having a ... smart car.
    I do that too. Brilliant little car, but not as cheap as people think it is

One of the best things about it is it's only 2 seater, so you can't be expected to be taxi for everyone and his mates
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
      non subscription tv, or streaming tv, so you don't have to pay the tv licence
      TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again
      use a torrent client to download tv progrmas, tv programs found here
      EZTV - TV Torrents Online
      as TS said about cars, if you have a diesel it can be run on oil, or you can look into having a hybrid or something like a smart car.
      I don't think this is correct. As I understand the regulations, if you have anything capable of viewing TV you have to pay the BBC. Even if you never watch BBC.
      Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

You're right rocketron. Even if you don't own a tv but only watch stuff on a computor you still have to have a license. And it's totally irelevant what channels you do or don't watch. It's for 'receiving aperatus'.
        On the subject of tv's the bigger the screen the more electric they use, plasma big screens are very power hungry.
        Is 'new' brand new or just new to you? If it's the second then look into replacing existing insulation with really up-to-date stuff. It can keep in a lot more heat, which of course saves pennies.
        If you haven't got good stuff you may get free or grants from your local council.
        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

I still think robbing a bank or winning the lottery are the best ways to self sufficiancy!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I seem to remember that if you cannot watch live TV, just catchup etc you are free from the licence cost.

Not 100% sure but it may be worth looking into.

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

The following from the BBC's Internet Blog answer supplied by their own people.

Legal position at this time, live TV or time lapse TV viewed on any appliance requires a licence. On demand TV such as BBC Iplayer does not.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'd have a licence anyway - it seems silly to risk prosecution.

We are insulated to the hilt, and not on a water meter (with three teenagers in the house it doesn't pay to) - and with that statistic having a smart car is out too - and my 6'2 lad will never fit onto a trailer behind the bike..... and that's without my gammy leg.

We have a bus on a Tuesday with a return on a Friday from the nearest town. (go figure?). Or the olds can order a poppy bus. Not being old I can't order it.

So the car stays - a guzzling seven seater 2 point something litre monster of a thing. I still use all the seats for the kids though, and as we moved out of catchment when my eldest can't drive (or won't ) I still have to do the school run. I try and combine trips though. Replacing it would lose me so much money on it I'm not sure I can afford a new car.

Comment

With all your teenagers I'd definitely look into solar thermal hot water - you may need 2 panels and a larger thermal store though! Water meters may still be beneficial if you live in a high rateable value house as i seem to remember that water charges are linked to rates. More research needed here!!
                  With rainwater harvesting you can plumb your washing machine into the rainwater tank so reducing water usage. I'm sure you have lots of washing to do with 3 teenagers. and that, and toilet flushing can knock a big chunk off your water bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
                    I don't think this is correct. As I understand the regulations, if you have anything capable of viewing TV you have to pay the BBC. Even if you never watch BBC.
                    You're wrong. BBC TV Licencing does so like to give the impression that you can't watch tv without paying for it.
                    Any equipment capable of receving LIVE tv needs to be licensed IF you are using it to watch live tv. The equipment you're licensing will either be the tv itself, or a box [not your DVD player, not your VCR etc]

To watch streaming internet tv, it's delayed, therefore not live, therefore no need for a licence.
                    Last edited by taff; 08-11-2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X