Yet again, more job advice!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, thanks for the kind words!

Cardiffsteve, how did I find so many positions to apply for? Well, firstly register for every job site there is, set up searches for anything within your field and apply for everything, from the position below your experience level (so you can get in and learn the business before moving up) through to the position above what you know (as you may just get a shot at it). Then look at any company you know and respect and apply direct to them, firstly for any vacancies they have listed, and secondly just make speculative applications, you never know if something may come up!

Make sure your CV is strong, no more than 2 pages and definitely covering your competencies and show evidence of why you are good at them (its no good saying 'I am good at developing people', much better to say I have a passion for developing people, which is evidenced by the 3 Full Time staff I have developed to Deputy Manager positions and the 3 Deputy Managers I have coached to get their first Store Manager positions'. Your CV is all most HR / Recruiters see, if it is good then they will ask you to interview, even if its only a small %age, Ive now got 145 applications in, rejected for 20, had 5 interviews, another 2 today plus a phone interview later on, and another 3 scheduled for next week, with the majority of applications still being prior to the cut off date.

Remain positive, stay focussed and go for it no matter how you much you may think you dont stand a chance.
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thanks Mrs D

I'm really impressed with the amount of applications you have done in such a short space of time. I dont think I've done that much in 6 months. Maybe I just too lazy!

Best of luck for today.

Comment

Thanks Steve, tis appreciated!

Just back from having had 2 interviews, 1st one for the Works bookshops as Store Manager, think I nailed it, but salary is £4K less than I can do, especially with a 30 mile each way commute, wish they had listed the salary as Id have not bothered, but the experience was good and its always nice to have a positive interview!

2nd interview is for Quality Save, store manager again, in a branch 5 miles from home, acceptable salary package (less than I was on, but at least its a job), and I think I did well on it, was in for 1 1/2 hrs, wasnt sure about whether I fancied the job after visiting 2 of their branches, but after seeing another better one today, I feel a lot happier about them as a company and recon I could do a good job and turn around the standards in the branch Ive applied for.

Go a phone interview this afternoon for another position, not sure about the company again, but another assessment centre on Monday and an invite to meet up with a regional manager for Optical Express, with a possible store manager job, I applied for Deputy Manager, but the salary was too low, the Manager I spoke to tho was impressed, so she has forwarded me onto the regional for a Store Manager job! Lol!

9th Dec Ive also got an interview for Deputy Manager for Pets at Home, which could be good, and Ive got Dunelm Mill in the pipeline too, plus a 2nd formal interview with VW on the cards and a few other things ongoing, plus Ive yet to hear about 3 interviews that Ive already had.

So, I am hopeful that something will come up soon, r at least Im doing everything possible to ensure that I have a chance of something coming up soon!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Phome interview went well, possible 1st face to face interview to be scheduled for next week, acceptable salary and seems like a proffessional company, this could be interesting!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

I'm surprised that there are so many management vacancies in retail ~ how come?
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

No idea, but Im not complaining, plenty of opportunities for me to apply for!
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Of course.

I'm just wondering if they've all restructured and are now advertising the "vacancy" at a lower salary

cynical, me?

Best of luck to you, you deserve some
                x
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X