No announcement yet.

Doormats? eh?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be based upon a risk asessment..................... as all things appear to be these days!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      It will be based upon a risk asessment..................... as all things appear to be these days!
      Aye, I can appreciate that....but the letter specifically gave the reason as being part of a new European Health and Safety Law; but by the lack of people coming and saying 'yer - it's a new law, didn't you know?' I think we can safely assume that there is no law [which I didn't believe in the first place]; which means they lied to their leaseholders. Interesting...

Comment

One night last week whilst being bored and clicking round the channels i came upon a programe called Fun Cops it was about the Elf &safety mob going about there business it was hilarious well worth a look jacob
        Last edited by jacob marley; 10-10-2011, 07:01 AM.
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Just imagine if they were door mice!?
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

It's probably because the housing association don't want to be sued by postmen, visiting workmen etc.
            Any workman of any sort who cannot avoid trip hazards that are as obvious as doormats, when no-one else has been injured, is clearly failing to take sufficient care. If you try to make the world idiotproof, you are guaranteeing idiots will never learn ! Yes, it is conceivable that harm may result - but risk assessment is not about eliminating every imaginable danger, it is about measuring the chance of them happening in a way that prioritises reducing them correctly.
            Fair enough, I've been in many tenements (delivering and uplifting furniture and white goods) and some of them were absolutely cluttered with small tables, knick knacks, and sometimes threadbare carpets lying unsecured on polished floors. There were moves afoot (pardon the pun) to do away with these, and that I agree with. But there is a difference between purely decorative items placed with no rhyme or reason, and functional items that are only to be found in an expected place, and any risk assessment should take note of that.
            I'll bet you won't see the councils etc removing steps within or around buildings - a far greater hazard, but one which requires great expenditure... They are trying to do what is easiest, not what is most important. ("Reasonable effort.")
            I'll bet you that anyone stating in writing they will be pleased to comply when given details of the pertinent legislation would be met by a resounding silence, or weasel words.
            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Imagine a world with removable doormats;

Claimant: "I tripped over Mr Oodjiflip's doormat whilst walking and not looking where I was going"
              Mr Oodjiflip: "What doormat - as you can see, I don't have one"
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Sorry Zaz but I would agree with the ruling no matter who had made it!
                The only way a doormat could be fitted safely is if it was in a sunken recess (which I thought most were these days)?
                If they were banning the mat from the recess the recess itself would become a hazzard!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The only way a doormat could be fitted safely is if it was in a sunken recess (which I thought most were these days)?
                  not the entrance to the cummunal areas, which usually has a recess and a doormat, but a doormat outside your own flat in a complex, i.e in your particular hallway.
                  I havent got that problem anymore since the management of this building put down carpets..heehee

Comment

iv'e done a risk assesment...........
                    and........
                    it's not safe to comment in case of injury..................................
                    this will be a battle from the heart
                    cymru am byth

Comment

The world has gone mad!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I don't believe this is any kind of new EU law - the freeholder/management company are definitely making that up.
                        But I was on the receiving end of a similar kind of letter a few years ago living in a leasehold flat in Essex. The letter stated that we had to remove all personal possessions from the corridors/stairs of the block - some residents had doormats outside their flats or were keeping random items (boxes, bits of unwanted furniture) in the corridors. It came just after that fire in a Camberwell tower block where 6 people died. The thought at the time was that the fire had spread due to materials in the communal areas and that was the reason given in the letter I received. I know that my local council weren't the only ones to issue such an edict in response to this around the UK, despite the fact I don't think it was categorically proven.
                        come visit a garden
                        or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry Zaz but I would agree with the ruling no matter who had made it!
                          If they were banning the mat from the recess the recess itself would become a hazzard!

Can I just say i am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the ruling - I'm just asking whether anyone has heard of this new European Law.

Comment

Working in rented property all the time I get regular updates on new regulations and must say I have not heard of this as a EU regulation. So my guess would be 'no' its their own self assessment.

Colin
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Fancy a bit of light bedtime reading, zaz ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EU-Law-Lawye.../dp/184113046X

There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                                Working in rented property all the time I get regular updates on new regulations and must say I have not heard of this as a EU regulation. So my guess would be 'no' its their own self assessment.

Colin
                                Thank you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X