No announcement yet.

growing leeks the easy way

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What other annual veggies can you take a 2nd crop from before they have to be discarded? Or which veggies are dual purpose where you can eat the leaves and roots or seedpods? In a small garden you could increase productivity in this way and I'm all for that! Recommendations invited!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      What other annual veggies can you take a 2nd crop from before they have to be discarded? Or which veggies are dual purpose where you can eat the leaves and roots or seedpods? In a small garden you could increase productivity in this way and I'm all for that! Recommendations invited!!
      F1 hybrid seeds are expensive. I cut crosses in the top of the cut portion of my Sweetheart cabbages once I harvest them. They will throw up another four small sweetheart heads before the end of the season if you're lucky. It works with other brassicas as well....but not all.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        I think that what happens Zaz is that the leek usually grows a couple of 'king pods' similar to giant onion sets at the base of the flowering stem which grow to form new leeks.. This is probably a genetic 'belt and braces' reaction and means if the seed hasn't set or the flower stem is broken off, at least it will re populate itself to a lesser degree.
        What you are then harvesting is the leek from the king pods, but you have to be quick because they to will run to seed quite quickly to give the leek a second chance at seeding.

Clever things these leeks!
        No - the leek just regenerates from the centre again. Honest.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          No - the leek just regenerates from the centre again. Honest.
          Ok..........I never argue with a woman!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            Ok..........I never argue with a woman!
            Eh up - is this a new rule?

Comment

No it's a man with a bit of common sense Zaz (rare though it be), he knows he'll not win.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                Eh up - is this a new rule?
                It's called self preservation

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X