Voting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
    We don't seem to have recieved any polling cards?????!!
    We didn't get any either...nor did my friend across the road...pootled in after dropping the kiddies off and my name was on 'the list'.They said to get in touch with the county council.
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
      I did mine by post **PB polishes her halo in a smug manner**
      Me too. **Ginger snatches halo off P.B and plays hula hoop with it** .

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
        Think you hit the nail on the head there TS. I don't understand the issues, I also don't seem to have the time to sit down and go through it all to work out which way I'd go. I tend to finally sit down for good about 9PM, and goto bed shortly after.. I *NEED* to retire. Or win the lotto?
        I'm not going to tell you off but [seriously] the more people that don't understand the issues, the more the 'fatcats' and 'bigwigs' AKA politicians get away with. They use the big words in order that the 'little people' don't understand and as these issues directly affect things that the 'little people' want and need, it is up to them to try and see through the carp.

On AV/FPTP -

FPTP, a person can win a vote even if more than 50% of the population DOESN'T want them in power so people end up voting for parties they don't want just to keep those they REALLY don't want out of power.......

with AV, the candidate with the lowest votes is knocked out, and the second choices of THOSE candidate's voters are put on the pile of the people that are left. It carries on until someone gets 50% of the vote.

It really is THAT simple.

Comment

Zaz, I'm 100% with you on the issue. AV (sometimes known as Single Transferable Vote) seems to me a much better system for actually finding out what people really think and really want than any of the alternatives. PR with 'party lists' only makes every vote a party vote, which increases the power of big parties at the expense of anyone else. FPTP leads to 'tactical' voting, and the big parties tel everyone that voting for anyone but them is a 'wasted vote'. AV does away with these 2 problems.
          I just wish my friend who died last year had lived long enough to see the referendum actually take place. He felt even more strongly about it than I do!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I get how it works (just read about it on the BBC site).. however what I don't get is the underlying party issues, why x hates y, and why z hates x and y, and so forth. I didn't even know there were more than 3 parties until just now... and wasn't aware even what 'AV' stood for until just now either. shocking really, but true

Comment

I get how it works (just read about it on the BBC site).. however what I don't get is the underlying party issues, why x hates y, and why z hates x and y, and so forth. I didn't even know there were more than 3 parties until just now... and wasn't aware even what 'AV' stood for until just now either. shocking really, but true
              AV just might lead to more than 3 parties that people have heard of!
              A lot of the people who don't vote, it's because they don't reckon it will ever make a difference. If we get AV, the chance of it making a difference will be marginally increased!
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

On the day our last WWI veteren passed I can think of nothing more fitting as a tribute to him and those like him than going out to vote.

As for AV I don't like the system they are offering our Scottish Parliament has top up lists so everybodys second vote is counted and i think this is fairer imho.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                  with AV, the candidate with the lowest votes is knocked out
                  Just like on Britain's Got Talent, or whatever that show is called
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My paper had an interesting clipping the other day: how the last six general elections would've turned out if we'd had the AV system.

In a nutshell, Labour & Lib Dem would have benefited, and the Conservatives lost out big time.

And Gordon Brown still wouldn't be Prime Minister now, because the Lib Dems would only have joined Labour if GB resigned
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You don't need one all you need to be is registered!
                      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                        Will do Bubblewrap - thanks for the reminder.

It may be impotent but it is also important!
                        Sorry about the typo
                        Last edited by bubblewrap; 05-05-2011, 03:57 PM.
                        Brian Clough

Comment

I'm a bit of a hypocirt here - haven't voted ever. Mainly becauase I find politics boring, but then I'll have a scoff when a change affects me.
                          So if after the next election the Tories get in again & put up income tax to 60%
                          Would you find that boring?

If you don't vote you have no right to complain.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

Just one more point I have voted in every single election whether national,local or Euro since 1970 barring one(I was in hospital in 1994).
                            And have always voted the same way.
                            Brian Clough

Comment

Just to reassure you BW, I have been and put a cross in the appropriate boxes

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
                                Just to reassure you BW, I have been and put a cross in the appropriate boxes
                                While I would like people to vote the same way as myself.
                                The most important thing to do is go out and do it.

I was at the polling station as it was opening this morning.
                                Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X