Common Courtesy & Good Manners...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
    Or shop assistants who carry on entire conversations with their friends/other workers whilst serving you.... argh!

I know that shop work is repetitive and boring and you'd much rather be doing something else... however, a 'hello' and 'thank you/bye' is just common manners....
    Damn right! We would get rightly told off if we did that in the GC where I work. Not that we would anyway!

Originally posted by Suky View Post
    Or customers who come through the checkout on their phone and continue their inane chat and totally ignore the cashier. I had one on Thursday like that. She wanted a refund, just shoved her garment at me and chatted on................so I just stood there and waited for her to acknowledge me. Well, I'm not a mind reader am I? After about 3 or 4 mins the customer behind poked her and said 'we are all waiting for you dear' and guess what...... she didn't even apologise. GRRRR. Luckily the other 2 customers were on my side and as she left, still chatting, said a loud 'How rude'
    Had so many of them this week, plain bladdy rude it is
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

No I must not comment don't want to get banned.

Save to say I agree with everything thats been said.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Suky View Post
        Or customers who come through the checkout on their phone and continue their inane chat and totally ignore the cashier. I had one on Thursday like that. She wanted a refund, just shoved her garment at me and chatted on................so I just stood there and waited for her to acknowledge me. Well, I'm not a mind reader am I? After about 3 or 4 mins the customer behind poked her and said 'we are all waiting for you dear' and guess what...... she didn't even apologise. GRRRR. Luckily the other 2 customers were on my side and as she left, still chatting, said a loud 'How rude'
        Totally agree with this one, I have had customers with huge trolley loads do this to me and let me start packing their bags, till I run out of room then have the nerve to tut when I cant do any more till they help.
        Another one that gets me is when a family come through and stand and watch mum struggle to do it all by herself dad included, I bite my tongue but so want to ask if they are going to help.

Today the one that really gets my goat, shopping in Tessies stopped to say hello to someone I havent seen for ages, didnt block the aisle, when this stupid woman ran over my foot, I shouted ouch, she ignored me, am I that small that she didnt see me. IF she pushed the frigging trolley with her hands and NOT her elbows she might have missed me.
        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
        and ends with backache

Comment

Two things.

One, back in the days when I used to commute up to London, people who didn't stand aside to let people off the tube. Took me back to my rugby playing days, shoulder down & don't stop for anything.

Two, the woman who backed into my shopping trolley in Sainsburys the other week, glared at me and said "a sorry would be nice!" when it was totally her fault. Grrrrrrrrrrr!
          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

They say manners maketh the man. You always remember someone positively when they have good manners and conversely when they do not have good manners it leaves a lasting negative effect on you. As a teacher we have children of four and five who have no sense of manners, they barge into others, snatch things, use I want, give it to me as key phrases. I spend so much time modelling good manners and how to behave to others it is a major part of my role. If manners are not taught on their parents knee it sets a bad example for life. People think they are entitled to get what they want, when they want it and the lack of manners and respect for others personal space, belongings and feelings has a direct correlation to this. Treating people with disdain when they are providing a valuable service is one of my greatest bug bears. It costs nothing to say thank you to someone who has served you and in my experience asking nicely and saying thank you has always got me even better service so it benefits everyone. I had it drilled into me as a child remember your please and thank you's and this has stayed with me. Hopefully some of those children I have taught good manners will grow up to be polite well mannered folk.
            When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I've always tried to treat people with respect (apparently random retaliatory acts are both not nice and against the law of the land ), but it is getting a lot harder to do so these days.

My latest was a woman in the supermarket that I nearly collided with. Admittedly it was my fault as I didn't see she was in a huge rush and failed to anticipate her great speed, so apologised for this, but she just glared at me as though I was dog doings and tutted as she pushed past. I admit to loudly and clearly retracting my apology. She had the grace to look embarrassed at least.

I do worry that people are being raised these days without a respect for others and a good set of morals and manners instilled in them. I have noticed however that people are more likely to be stressed and worried these days, and that folks tend to focus inwards in these times rather than on their actions towards others, so perhaps that is it.

Comment

Today seems to be all about 'my rights' but with rights, to my mind anyway, come responsibilities.
                As for being barged into - at Sainsburys our previous uniform included bright orange fleeces and I am not a 'small' person so how come so many people couldn't see me FFS!
                And why do I always apologise even when I am the one being barged into?
                To balance it all though there is a young mum comes into the shop with her 4 year old son. He always says please and thankyou and is an absolute delight. There is hope for the new generation

Comment

Regarding the shop senario - when the shop assistant answers the phone, although there are loads of people queueing.
                  When people dont get up on the bus or train for elderly or infirm people if there are no seats.
                  Thats just two off the top of my head.
                  Last edited by northepaul; 24-04-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I've just had car park rage at the Asda. I was clearly indicating to go into a space that a lady was reversing out off and this little OIK, with stereo boom boom booming had the flipping gall to zoom into the parking place . To say I saw RED is the under statement of the year...5 min's of green, purple, blue & bright pink ranting later, having told him exactly what I thought of him...he moved. So with a huff and a grin I parked my car . I may have gone through the change, but I still get VERY hormonal .

Comment

Businesses do it too. It must be tough on people employed to 'cold call', because most of us find such calls an example of bad manners, and it isn't the fault of the person on the other end of the phone, but they probably get the reaction. OH simply says a rather abrupt "Sorry but I won't be interested"; I vary between "no thanks" and "bye", on a bad day; on a good day it becomes "My husband deals with all that" (and sometimes, "and I know he will say no")!
                      As for individuals, if stress (or absent-mindedness) seems a likely explanation, OK we all have those days. If it is obviously a lack of any concept of good manners I mutter about it for a while.
                      Too many people who think they are the only one who matters, that is the root of it!
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

TOILETS!!!!!

That is the one that really gets me at the moment; I work on a reception desk in a theatre foyer. People walk into the foyer and shout 'toilets' at you, no 'good morning', 'hello' or any thing. We do not have public toilets so my answear in a smiling 'I'm sorry we not not have public toilets but you may use the ones we have upstairs', you don't even get a thak you so I always make a poit of saying good bye as they leave.

Is that mean?

Comment

I must say I count myself very fortunate here. I was both taught the importance of please and thank you very early on, and have the sort of easygoing personality that allows for people to be having a bad day and not behaving as they should; so I don't take offence at others rudeness even when 99% of normal people would.
                          I suppose I am the opposite of the famous "Mr Angry" - I put a lot of it down to what Rabidbun says about "overflow" stress where a mood or attitude carries over from a different subject - but even so, I do love sometimes to see someone reminded publicly that they are not above the rest of us....
                          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

People in shops who stand between you and what you were looking for when it's blatantly obvious you just stood back to let them get by.
                            "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                            "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                            Oxfordshire

Comment

your so right when you've had the common decency to smile say good morning or afternoon and they blank you totally,throw their card on the checkout pay and walk off.Sooo RUDE.

Comment

In the supermarket just before Easter we had a trolley full, as you do, and had only managed to put a couple of little things onto the conveyor thingy when this woman came along, put the divider behind them and proceeded to unload all her stuff, so we didn't have room to unpack our trolley. She then looked daggers at US and kept mumbling to her child because we took so long. We had to hand things to the checkout operator because she couldn't let the belt move forwards. It was unbelievable!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X