No announcement yet.

Fond Childhood Memories Thread.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother, sister and I were sent to our maternal grandparents in Westmorland (now Cumbria) every summer holiday. We weren't restricted. The house was enormous as Nanna had originally bought it as a private hospital before the NHS was invented.

Grandpa owned a riding school and livery stable. He was also the local blacksmith.

We learnt to ride by default. Picked raspberries, gooseberries and apples and made (rather disgusting) drinks with them. Caught sticklebacks in the river and swam in it. Walked for miles. Nanna was a typical straight talking no nonsense Yorkshire woman, but she taught me and my sister to knit, crochet and embroider. She would also help us make cardboard dolls and dress them. If it rained and we had to stay in, there were piles of my mum and aunts old comics, a "holey ghost room" full of old toys and dressing up costumes.

The top floor had no gas or electricity, the first floor gas only and only the ground floor had gas and electric. The electric sockets were very different from modern ones. The pins were in a straight line like this -o-.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

I remember watching the wrestling on the T.V and having a big piece of pork pie and brown sauce snuggled up to mi dad. And a big dish of ice cream for pud, funny how ice cream tasted better when I was a kid, must have been all the additives that were in it ...I miss additives

Comment

Getting to spend time at my aunt and uncles in the summer, who lived in the counrty and had woods that seemed to go on forever. Making mud pies, creating horse jumping course (we were the horses) out of anything we could find and doing pretty much whatever other adventures we could think up. In return we were slaves, mainly picking fruit and top and tailing it
        Elsie

Comment

This thread has genuinely brought a tear to my eye...

For me my fondest memories are those spent at my grandparent's in Somerset. The warmth and smell in the greenhouse full of tomatoes, the dusty soil, picking fresh runner beans, digging for new potatoes. It's where I get my love of homegrown vegetables. Top it off with the wonderful oily smell of their garage and the smell of the mower in the shed.

When I was helping to clear their house after they passed away last year I just stood in the middle of that now empty garage and cried.

Comment

my father taking me for riding lessons every saturday even though I was wildly allergic and usually had an asthma attack when I got back, because I was bladdy annoying and would create if I couldn't go.
            eating coal in the coal shed and playing in it so when my mother got home both of us were black and so were our clothes.
            making a fire every year in the country park to make baked potatoes with a friend before the first day back to school.
            hanging about with my italian grandfather in the orto while he did what he had to do and I pretended I was helping him

Comment

Isn't amazing how often smells turn up in memories. For me the best smell has to be the smell of tar, melting on the roads (lanes) in the summer heat. Summers seemed to go on for ever.

Comment

Sitting in a tin bath in front of a roaring fire on a winters evening.

Ma Taylors corner shop 1/2 penny chews and a jug of beer for my dad.

Shipstones brewery stables with beautiful white shires that we could walk under. My friends dad was a hostler.

A disused air raid shelter that became a castle for Robin Hood, or Stalag what ever number for war games.

Mates that fell out without resorting to violence then fell back in again.

I feel sorry for the children of today so many restrictions and growing up to quickly.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

There weren't fairies at the bottom of our garden, there were trains; GWR commuter trains. My Dad caught one to go to work in London. The garden wasn't so very large, but effectively it was 'large enough' because the railway owned a wide patch and Dad rented the bit straight on from our garden, as big as the 'real' garden, and grew things there. Runner beans, there was a damson tree, tomatoes usually (I helped take off the sideshoots) There must have been other veg grown, but I can't remember anything else being grown every year. In the proper garden we had 2 apple trees, Golden Delicious, and unlike the ones in shops these days they WERE delicious! There was rhubarb, plus blackcurrant bushes.
                  We played 'Garden Cricket'. You need a minimum of 3 players, but more is better, taking it in turns as bowler, batsman and wicket-keeper, any extras do the fielding. If the ball goes nextdoor, it's 4 runs and OUT.
                  There was a swing, the frame built from hefty angle-iron, which I think was the remains of an 'indoor' air-raid shelter.
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Sitting in the hay cart when the hay was being brought in from the field.
                    Watching the mill harvesting the wheat and the smell of the dust from the chaff,
                    The taste of my granny's home made damson jam after me and my sister finished helping our dad to water the field of celery.
                    Catching pin keens in the river with our home made fishing nets.
                    The smell of the melting tar on the lane in the summer and getting a few slaps for getting same tar all over our clothes.
                    so many more memories being brought back from this thread.
                    Wish I could have it all over again.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                      Sitting in the hay cart when the hay was being brought in from the field................................
                      ................then the cart 'cowping' , bales toppled and me being flung into a whinney bush!
                      Last edited by Snadger; 08-04-2011, 06:14 AM.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oh- this thread is delightful!!!!

I've been thinking back quite a bit and remembering- and appreciating- lots of lovely childhood memories!

Brill!- thanks
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                          The smell of the melting tar on the lane in the summer and getting a few slaps for getting same tar all over our clothes...
                          Deciding it would be fun popping the tar bubbles. With my school shoes on! After being told off for that, we tried it bare-foot! LOL Just had to do it!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                            Isn't amazing how often smells turn up in memories. For me the best smell has to be the smell of tar, melting on the roads (lanes) in the summer heat. Summers seemed to go on for ever.
                            For me it was the lorry that used to collect spent Yeast from the brewery's in Bham and taking it to Burton on Trent to be made into Marmite what a smell it used to linger for ages are majic those were the days jacob
                            What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Oh yes, the smell of the spent coffee grounds being removed from the Nestle factory! Not a nice one, but definitely a childhood memory, and een the things that were not-so-nice can trigger nostalgia!
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X