• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Colin- very helpful!

So....90 cm sounds about right then!!!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Swmbo is 5ft 1/2" and don't you dare forget the 1/2". When I refurbed my own kitchen at set the mean height of a test work surface at 90cm floor to underside. Swmbo tested same and pronounced herself satisfied that way I can't be wrong. hehe

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

take a pic once it's done nicos - i'm nosey!

We're going to be doing out kitchen soon (knocking through into another room, for a big kitchen/diner) so I'm after all insipiration possible! (and I'm just plain nosey)

Comment

Hi

It depends what worksurface you have really. Standard units have a 150mm plinth with a 720mm carcass. You dont have loads of play usually on the feet, they are more to level the unit. Granite surfaces tend to be 30mm so you have a finish height of 900mm, whereas laminate tends to be 40mm so 910mm finished height.

If however you are 'vertically challenged' you could look to using drawerline (carcass with single drawer at top) without the drawer. This would give you a finish height of 750mm or 760mm depending on the surface again.

These are based on standard U.K. carcasses as some German manufacturers play around with the height a little more.

I am a kitchen designer for my sins!

Give me a shout if I can be of further help.

David
          Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dave is spot on, I remember designing a kitchen for a couple who were 5'2" and 6'9", it was challenging.

If we are going to talk ergonomics for a second then you really should have your hob height at around 760mm as this is a lot easier to lift a heavy pan from. The sink however should be higher than average around 980mm. This is because you lift things from the bottom of the sink, and a sink bowl average out at 180mm deep.

What you are trying to avoid is having to bend to much to carry out repetitive actions in a kitchen. Unfortunately most kitchen manufacturers in the UK aren't bothered by practicalities, they are interested in economy of scale. The German manufacturers such as Alno-wellmann, poggenpohl, miele will have varying increments of 10mm from 760 upwards. Allowing you to truly customise your perfect kitchen height, dependant on the tasks in hand.

Materials are another subject, its always best to have a section of stone/granite/marble in your kitchen for rolling pastry and putting hot things down on, wood to sit at, and laminate where it does not matter. I love mixing door colours and worktops for customers as this makes for a more eclectic and individual design.

The one thing to bear in mind with all of this are your appliances, built under appliances rarely will fit below the underside of a worktop height of 820mm, and freestanding washing machine around 850mm.
            Last edited by Mikey; 07-04-2011, 01:38 PM.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
              One side of the kitchen is 91 cm high and the other is 90. I never noticed that!
              This will be because your worktop is level, whereas your floor is not.

Comment

As you are making the frames yourself nicos, test out different heights to find one that works for you. Using your existing table is a good start as this will be between 750 and 770mm, add things onto this until you get to the height you feel happiest with.

Try out different tasks like, mimicking rolling pastry, leaning reading a cook book, chopping veg, serving food, etc. Also well used kitchen objects like mixer, or a bread maker, these will all be best suited to different heights.

Its really strange how we tolerate working from a poor height, its not strange though that we suffer from back trouble more than any other in this country. Poor ergonomics.

Comment

Stand with your arms at your sides, then bend elbows, lifting hands until you would feel comfy working at that angle, get someone to measure the height of your hands at that position. For me the relevant height is level with my navel. Remember that most jobs your hands will actually be a little above the work surface (for rolling pastry, that will be the diameter of the rolling pin, plus a bit to allow for the thikness of the pastry).
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Don't forget the fridge under the work surface stand alone under counter fridges tend to be between 840mm or 850mm then there is the possibility of it needing air flow. That is the main governing factor in this case.

Colin
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                      Don't forget the fridge under the work surface stand alone under counter fridges tend to be between 840mm or 850mm then there is the possibility of it needing air flow. That is the main governing factor in this case.

Colin
                      Well there is nothing to say that all worktops need to be the same height colin.

Comment

I've just measured the fridge and it's standing at 86cm including it's 2cm feet.
                        Hmm..including the 3cm thick work surface - that takes it to 89cm without any breathing gap at the top.

Hmmm...looks like it may end up being higher than I really wanted!

Thanks for your help peeps!!

Comment

Do you have only a straight run of units Nicos, or is there an L or U shape, or a couple of runs? As I have said before they don't all have to be the same height.

This is a modern kitchen but it explains what I mean.

ALNO | ALNOSQUARE

Comment

Yes- I've seen units of varying heights like that before- they look good don't they?

My tiny 'kitchen' as such ( don't laugh ) is under a staircase in the lounge!!!!
                            It's not my main kitchen but in a guest section of my house.
                            The surface is 8ft long and follows the wall underneath the stairs.

We've got a domino hob, a small Franke sink with drainer and just enough room to tuck a microwave into the corner under the steps.
                            I've also bought a freestanding Ikea butchers block to create a bit more work surface.
                            So- not much work surface is there????
                            Free standing fridge- and cottage-like curtains all the way underneath the wooden worksurface.
                            I somehow think it'll look nicer with a curtain across the front of the fridge and I'm planning to velcro that on at the moment.
                            Extractor fan and shelving will complete the look

(In the main fireplace opposite is a freestanding woodburning stove with an oven and two hobs)

I must say though- this thread has opened my eyes as for my main kitchen which I hope will be done within the next couple of years....I very much like the idea of different height surfaces.
                            You'll be pleased to know that one is 20' x20'!!!- so plenty of space to play around with different ideas!
                            Last edited by Nicos; 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Do you have to put a worksurface over the fridge at all? Couldn't you just have the fridge at one end and the work surface stop short?
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Unfortunately yes, we do have to put the fridge underneath - if we put it at the end then my OH would have to duck under the stairs to either wash up or cook!! (he's over 6'high). Nope- he's not getting an excuse handed on a plate as to how he can get out of kitchen chores!!!!!

(It won't fit at the shallow end either cos unfortunately the door opens the wrong way- and can't be changed.)

Good idea though- thanks !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X