No announcement yet.

Do you eat things past the use by date?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as I don't have to scrape unexpected greenery off it, I'd eat it.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm sure the lemon curd will be OK as it's a low risk food high in sugar (though with pregnant guests, surely it's better to be safe than sorry?).

However, bear in mind, all you food sniffers, that many of the bacteria that cause food poisoning do not affect the smell, flavour or look of a food. If you're lucky, food spoilage bacteria will grow at the same time as the food poisoning bugs, so that you do notice changes. But this doesn't always happen.

This link talks about a food poisoning bacterium which is on the increase, particularly in older people who ignore the use by date on chilled products (not that I'm suggesting you're 'older'!).

I'm willing to take a small, calculated, risk on some foods a day after its use-by date, but I wouldn't subject guests to that risk. (I have given myself food poisoning, too - entirely my own fault, as I did what I knew was wrong, but didn't do it with food I was feeding others).
      http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by francesbean View Post
        Shop bought lemon curd! sacrilege (sp) if want a recipe just say it is really the easiest thing in the world, and you won;t have any left after 8 days let alone 8 weeks.

francesbean
        Indeed, but my wife is pregnant (said two guests, but meant her + my sister)... as far as I'm aware don't you lightly cook the eggs?

Thanks for all the feedback peeps! I've just ate some tis nice (she's reading over my shoulder - bit dry like, but not everyone is perfect).

Comment

Ah Chris - Urban Myth mate! - the recipe i use cooks the egg and lemon mixture for at least 8-10 minutes with a further little simmer and then into hot jars - I think thats well cooked! - also I;ve got my own hens so feel confident about the eggs - but I understand your concern. When baby comes make her some real lemon curd cake as a treat. Enjoy the one you've made today too - I'm sure it is lovely. Careful with the jokes chris - remember the hormones at her delicate time.

francesbean
          Last edited by francesbean; 18-03-2011, 08:07 PM.
          My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

We have our own hens too, but with them not being vax'd stuff like that bothers me I know you can't pass it onto the baby, but better safe than sorry.

I didn't realise that, perhaps once she's popped it out I'll have a go at making it - it's probably one of my fav things I made those river cottage lemon curb marble muffins - amazing! HM curd with them would be even better I'm sure

Comment

Originally posted by HappyMouffe View Post
              I have given myself food poisoning, too - entirely my own fault
              Thanks for the warning, I'll have a look over that link. I gave myself kidney bean poisoning once, by eating undercooked beans. Boy that was painful: gas & cramps like you wouldn't believe. That's why I harp on about giving them a good boil for 10 mins and not eating them (French beans, esp their seeds) raw
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 19-03-2011, 08:26 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I vary. Bread i'm really funny about. I just can't stand the thought of eating mouldy bread yet the wife happily eats it and gives it to the kids with no harm done. Other things though and i'll eat beyond their dates. Best Before Dates mean nothing to me on the harmful side of things, only the taste or texture. Use By dates though and i'll use common sense. One tip i do have though is when making home made gravy, if you have too much stock and its starting to smell, just boil it back up and let it cool down again. If the smell has gone, which it usually has, then its fine to keep going repeat with the same batch until the boiling doesn't remove the bad smell.
                www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

I'm usually more careful with things with eggs and dairy in them, and also with meat and fish. Though at least with most of these you can tell easily as they jump up and attack you in the nasal cavities.

I'd mention it to the pregnant guests (and have an alternative just incase) - though they stand a higher chance of getting food poisoning due to their current immune systems, I *think* it's only near the birth that you have to watch out (though look it up, cause I haven't got to that stage yet).

One thing to bear in mind is that some of the labelling is on the foods due to cost cutting measures not having, for example, the right strength vinegar used for pickling, or additives used instead of traditional methods that can only stop bacterial growth for a limited time. Usually there's a fair overlap (especially in the fridge), but it's not always a given that something that Should keep, does.

Can't eat mouldy bread though - I taste the mould even through marmite!
                  Last edited by Rabidbun; 19-03-2011, 01:30 PM.

Comment

As I grew up in the late 40s early 50s we had no fridge, there were no dates on food of any kind. So I don't bother with dates now except for some processed foods.

Colin
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by francesbean View Post
                      Shop bought lemon curd! sacrilege (sp) if want a recipe just say it is really the easiest thing in the world, and you won;t have any left after 8 days let alone 8 weeks.

francesbean
                      Yes please to the recipe
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

my homemade lemon curd (home grown eggs) is still in the fridge after..err,,several months, sometime late last year (cos oh don't eat it, and I had a few jars). Still fine.
                        As a general rule (and I've spent 20odd years cheffing) if it's for someone strange..don't try it, you can guarentee just one day past and it'll make em sick.
                        if it's you or family/friends don't take any chance with rice or poultry (cooked) 2/3 days at most in fridge, they can be very nasty.
                        other stuff, use sense. If theres any hint of smell or off colour it's probably dodgy, so don't. Otherwise most sell by dates are short to keep shops safe, best before dates are more to be wary of, and use by dates are sometimes ok for an odd day extra..but often aren't.
                        As for pregnant women, dont take any risks at all..you would never forgive yourself if it did go wrong.
                        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

We regularly shop for food 'reduced for quick sale', which usually means you are supposed to eat it that day, or the next at latest. Never take any notice of dates; I have a pretty good idea how to tell if it is OK (meat, fish, dairy, it's obvious when your nose gets anywhere near, fruit-and-veg, pretty easy to tell, prepared fruit or veg, even easier...)
                          'blue' cheese (and a lot of the brie-like cheeses) are usually over sell-by date before they are actually ripe enough for the connoiseur!
                          Yeah, I can always detect the mouldy-taste on bread (marmite enhances that taste, rather than disguising it) and it is very similar to 'blue' cheese, which I can't stand, but OH loves! It's all related to penicillin isn't it? Incidentally, my Mum was allergic to penicillin, and I've wondered whether there is some connection between that and my dislike of the taste it puts into food....
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I'm in agreement with It's Hilly...anything for strangers or friends I'm most careful about and a pregnant friend I'd take no risks with.
                            At home the three things I'm most careful about are rice,chicken and fish...having sat a food hygiene course twice rice doesn't even last a couple of days,even in the fridge...it's cooked and eaten straight away,any leftovers go straight to the chooks.
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Wifey made fig and apricot bake too, so they had that I've pretty much eaten all of it. *nom nom nom*

Comment

Yup, aware of rice + reheating it. Chicken, any left over meat is either used in another meal the day after [making sureit's hot hot!], or eaten cold in a sarnie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X