What computer?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks...they really are huge savings.

DS's school are hopefully putting on a free adult learning computer course next term...got to finish my numeracy one first...I do really need it,software/hardware and refrags are all totally alien to me.

I'm with you Manda re getting one that will do what I need it to as opposed to attempting to build one myself...but just to clear up one query,do they actually come with software built in or is that something I'll have to add?

We're going to go and have a look round and I feel a little more confident that I won't be quite the ignorant sales rep's dream that I would have been before asking on here.
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Here's the Dell desktops if you don't want a laptop

Desktop Deals & PC Computer Sales | Dell UK

2nd from the left, with 20" monitor looks ok? There's online contact options to talk to Dell too...
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thinking about it more Kirsty,I think my mind's made up about not getting a laptop...maybe a few years down the line,but I really don't think one would last more than five minutes in our house.

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
          ...but just to clear up one query,do they actually come with software built in or is that something I'll have to add?
          Most machines will come with some software included. So maybe you'll gets microsoft Works rather than Word or Office. There might be 'cut down' versions of other stuff, or just some that are for 60day trials...there might also be stuff specific to the manufacturer that they put on to supposedly make using the pc easier.

Those student deals can't be beat, unless you work for certain companies who get really cheap microsoft software offers.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
            Here's the Dell desktops if you don't want a laptop

Desktop Deals & PC Computer Sales | Dell UK

2nd from the left, with 20" monitor looks ok? There's online contact options to talk to Dell too...
            But the first one comes in purple ....promise I won't throw all research out the window just for a pretty colour

Comment

Thinking about it more Kirsty,I think my mind's made up about not getting a laptop...maybe a few years down the line,but I really don't think one would last more than five minutes in our house.
              Fair dos!

If our kids were younger we wouldn't have one either I don't think
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                Fair dos!

If our kids were younger we wouldn't have one either I don't think
                You know the first few weeks strict 'guidelines' would be in place about it's use....then ever so gradually it would get to the stage where it's left open in the middle of the floor so Boy can do a bit of break dancing!

Comment

But the first one comes in purple ....promise I won't throw all research out the window just for a pretty colour
                  The other comes in purple too - click on the 'customise' button and you'll see the choices available. My laptop is orange in colour!

The thing with buying from places like Dell with lots of choices is to find something with as much included in the price to start from, rather than 'add extras' in, which will nearly always work out more expensive. The difficulty is stopping yourself buy more than you need! Lol!
                  Last edited by smallblueplanet; 12-03-2011, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I've seen more laptops break that desktops

There's always old desktops going for nothing on Freecycle but would imagine they gain a fair amount of interest.

To break your budget down. If you only need the tower as you will use existing keyboard, mouse, and monitor, then:

Motherboard + CPU + Fan + Memory = £165
                    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 840 "95W Edition" 3.20GHz
                    - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
                    - RAM: GEIL Value (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel
                    - Cooler: AMD Stock Cooler

Xenon AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.20GHz Bundle - Quad Core []

HardDrive = £40
                    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) [HD103SJ]

Graphics Card = £30
                    MSI ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB SILENT GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card [R5450-MD512D3H/LP]

PSU = £35
                    Coolermaster Elite Power 500W Power Supply [RS500-PSARJ3-UK]

Case = £20
                    OcUK Desk Manager Tower Case - Black []

DVD-Rom = £14
                    OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM []

Total = £324

That's a great starter pc tower that you'll struggle to match by buying elsewhere. Self build is the cheapest option and if I lived nearer I would happily build it for you for free. Bare in mind though that every pc has its limitations and the cheaper a pc is, the less it can do. I've also not included the operating system, current build is Windows 7 and in my opinion the best at getting the most from the hardware (something that Vista royally messed up). There are free alternatives mainly built around Linux but I wouldn't suggest going down that route for your needs.

As for checking your pc is compatible with others. I'm guessing he means the software side and as such Microsoft Office will be the one that causes the least amount of headaches. OpenOffice is a great alternative as its free but for professional use I would suggest you stick with MS Office.
                    www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Chef_uk View Post
                      OpenOffice is a great alternative as its free but for professional use I would suggest you stick with MS Office.
                      It's good, it's free but it sods up the formatting and delivering documents on it that supposedly open up in word and look rubbish is not good.

OK if every document is going to be printed, not ok if stuff is to be emailed.

I gave up and that's why I bought Office for Mac.

Comment

Xenon AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.20GHz Bundle - Quad Core []

Total = £324

That's a great starter pc tower that you'll struggle to match by buying elsewhere...
                        Well you could have an AMD from Dell, with an 18.5" monitor plus keyboard/mouse for £379

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Okay slightly lower spec, no video card but not really necessary for what the OP wants?

I'm still not sure about AMD vs Intel and I stick with Intel, although AMD are cheaper...

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                          Well you could have an AMD from Dell, with an 18.5" monitor plus keyboard/mouse for £379

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Okay slightly lower spec, no video card but not really necessary for what the OP wants?

I'm still not sure about AMD vs Intel and I stick with Intel, although AMD are cheaper...
                          That Dell is well underspec'd in every aspect but I doubt andi&di would notice the difference when running one from the other. I was aiming for long term use though if the kids were to start using it in x amount of years, it would feel very slow and will probably prompt mum and dad to go and buy another pc to replace it. I guess when the budget is so small, it doesn't really need to be stretched over the years so yea that dell is nice little package
                          www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

That Dell is well underspec'd in every aspect..
                            Its only really short of memory. I was pointing out what you can get when you buy the kit already made, from a large scale manufacturer. I doubt very much they'll be wanting to overclock anything!

Originally posted by Chef_uk
                            ...though if the kids were to start using it in x amount of years, it would feel very slow and will probably prompt mum and dad to go and buy another pc to replace it.
                            Exactly. Whatever you buy now will be 'out of date' a couple of years (or less!) down the line.

Originally posted by Chef_uk
                            ...I guess when the budget is so small, it doesn't really need to be stretched over the years so yea that dell is nice little package
                            I think there are lots of very whizzy machines at Dell - did you see the all-in-ones? But its best to remember most folk don't want to play games on top of the line machines. I did double check the sort of stuff OP was wanting to do, and their budget. I'd imagine they'd want new monitor & keyboard/mouse too...so £500 isn't enough for more than average spec. Especially if they want purple, and why not!

Comment

I have a purple Dell laptop, that I'm very happy with - can you guess who recommended it?

If the kids are going to be using it though, I think you're right to stick with a desktop. The only real problem I've had with mine involved an encounter with a didgeridoo!!!

It might be worth looking at eBay? Last year we bought two refurbished Dells for the kids for about £150 each. This sort of thing. Cheap and cheerful and they do what it says on the tin.
                              I was feeling part of the scenery
                              I walked right out of the machinery
                              My heart going boom boom boom
                              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                              I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                                it might be worth taking a course in basic computer maintenance, using/updating anti-virus, malware, adware, defragging, cleaning up uneccesary files etc.
                                I downloaded ccleaner for all the cleaning up stuff, and malwarebytes for catching the nasties that the AVG Free misses

all free
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X