Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family holiday in uk, any recommendations?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you thought about a short break on a narrowboat ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
      Hi Wayne, yes i have, got a good quote of £349 less the options etc, then realised I'd put the wrong date in, altered this to 2 weeks in advance for the school holidays and it went upto £869 for the same holiday, that ain't right
      The 869 is the 'normal' price. The cheaper price is to get SOMETHING back for the times when most people don't want to go! It's a bit like the 'reduced for quick sale' bargains in the supermarket!
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

This place is a 2 minute walk from where my daughter lives. I've never stayed there, but the setting is wonderful and it's a short drive from Porthleven - one of my favourite places on the planet. Loads to do for children, (between beaches and places to visit), children can have a bedroom too, granny would be comfortable and love it and you can take the dog! Lots of lovely surfer-y beach cafés serving great food...... can't be beaten IMHO

Boscrege Caravan Park Cornwall and Campsite in Cornwall UK

Comment

I'm biased too, come to Yorkshire. Scarborough makes a brilliant base to explore and it's very reasonable price-wise.
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Munch View Post
            New Forest definately

So much to do for kids and dogs. My favourite place. We went camping last year for a week and didnt take the dog and there was not one thing that we did that we could have included the dog.

There is really so much to do and it is beautiful and tranquil too.

Happy holidays
            Clicked on this thread to recommend New Forest, went in 2009 and loved it, think we're going back again this autumn.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi Mrs C

I would recommend the link below. Holiday cottages (mainly in the south west) my wife and I have used this company for the last three years and the service and quality of cottage is excellent.

Helpful Holidays: Holiday cottages in Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Dorset

In the South West you have lots of moors to let the dogs go wild, you've got easy access to the seaside, historic towns and villages and if you want a great day out you have the Eden Project (a must).

Where ever you go, enjoy England :-)

Comment

For a crossover camping holiday, have your tried feather down farms. They are owned and run by farmers, but I believe the concept comes from the makers of centre parcs.

Here

You are under a very large tent, but have a stove and proper kitchen & bedrooms. A break from the norm.
                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

We've booked several years in a row with cottages4you... you can search various regions of the UK, and can also search by whether properties are 'dog friendly' or not etc
                  Last edited by OverWyreGrower; 14-02-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

If you want to camp, then try the cool camping site. You can select location. whther family friendy, dogs, camp fires also cost basic to luxury. Also there are lots of reviews of the sites and photos.

We used this last year, and stayed in a very basiic cheap farm site in a stunning location.

Areas I love are cornwall (OH is cornish!!) pembrokeshire and northumberland. All stunning coastal areas. Out of all of them Northunmberland is renouned for being quieter and not so jam packed with tourists in the height of the season.
                    http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Dartmoor is a definite place to go too, I can't believe no one has sold it yet! We go there pretty much every year, at least once (next holds 19th Feb for week, can't wait!) - if you pick right you can get a cottage nice and cheaply and there are plenty of things to do for kids and of course dogs are very happy on the moors and up the tors.

All the kids and the adults always love letterboxing (searching for little tins/boxes that people have hidden all over the tors with stamps in - the idea being you find the boxes and stamp their stamps in a little book and collect them, fun for kids and keeps them well entertained for good while - even our 14 year old still insists on going letterboxing when we go, though I bet she never admits it to her mates...).

We go to the dartmoor prison museum every visit, just to buy ourselves another 'lovely' model painted by the prisoners (you can truly see some disturbed personalities there! my parents were horrified when I came back last year with a giant chinese dragon painted like a horror movie). There is of course horse riding, activity parks, the zoo and family farm type parks, railways, pottery painting (we do that every holiday there too!). The House of Marbles is always worth a trip, even if just for the shop. There's some lovely little villages in the middle of dartmoor with nice tinkery shops and cafes, ideal for a nice lunch stop after a morning of walking on the tors. There's tons of gardens, houses and museums and it's not even that far from the coast or places like the Eden project.

I can't sell it enough, we'd love to live there

We have stayed at a Feather Down Farm, the concept is lovely but in practice it becomes a real pain in the backside, though we went in Autumn when it was dark by 6pm and there's no electricity in the tents so we were going to bed at 8pm and up at 4! We went with a friend and the toilet situation is not brilliant, it's a bit like having a portapotty in the middle of the living room carpet and having to go with everyone sitting right next to it. Ok if you are comfortable with everyone you are with but to be frank we were with friends who we'd never gone away with this friend before and in the end we ended up having to go in every public toilet during the day in an attempt to not have to go when we were in the tent! The tent is hard to get warm (though as I say, season might apply here) and seemed to swing wildly from freezing cold with damp feeling beds, to roasting hot. The concept of being able to collect your own eggs in the morning from their resident hens never happens because someone always gets there before you. The concept is great but definately a summer only prospect now for us. The beds were nice and comfy though once you got in an warmed up, and the ideals of cooking on a stove and making your own fires etc was nice, the farm was good and the kids were entertained by that too, the farmer would drive them round on a quad bike to see the animals when she did her checks. Nice, but overall, I could have spent £500 on a cottage and been more comfy all round. Don't bother buying food from their on site shop either, it's horrendously overpriced - £5 for a few rashers of bacon!!
                      Last edited by PrideRavyn; 15-02-2011, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Berwick has a great cavaran and camping site. Nice town as well.

Comment

If you like Wales, and who doesn't? Google "Llanerchindda Farm" they feature on several sites. They have a Farmhouse to rent, cottages, and rooms in their mini B&B/Hotel. It is Family run, lovely and clean, great food, and very friendly. They cater for Off-roaders, Bikers, Cyclists, Hikers and Families. We stayed there for Easter weekend a couple of years ago, and would definitely recommend it. We will be going back.
                          Last edited by Glutton4...; 16-02-2011, 06:49 PM.
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I think either Haven or John Fowler sites allow dogs. John Fowler at Burnham was good for us last year.

Comment

We've stayed many times at a cottage in the Lake District. I know last year she was only charging £45 a night and it's the same price all year. There's no charge for dogs and it has 3 bedrooms and a decent size garden. I spent many hours in the conservatory watching the wildlife on the stream just outside. The place is called Levens and the couples name is Mallinson 01539561296.

Karen

Comment

Come to the Wirral

Stay in the country. Within 10 miles of Chester and Liverpool. Loads to do and see. Golf seaside and country walks. Michelin restaurants. Good value bandb accommodation. Award winning fish and chips. And you can help me on my lottie......see you soon!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X