No announcement yet.

thefts and insurance

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could I suggest that people don't post specifics about their security or valuables (and to consider editing if you've already done so)? It is VERY unlikely that anything would come of it but this is a public forum, so perhaps best not to give out such information.
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

We had a house break in a couple of years ago and they took all the family jewlery. The insurance company wanted the original receipts (urm no) and a recent evaluation of each individul bit which when I enquired was very expensive to do. I had photos of the items lots of photos but it was an evaluation they wanted.
      When the bas.....ds went through the house to steal they looked everywhere. They know where to look
      Last edited by stella; 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM.
      Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Yep insurance polices are tricky things, as often we are forced to take them out (easy part), yet making a successful claim is the tricky bit. I've only made a claim once in my life, for a car that was stolen outside my house. But as I was just returning back to the area into a rented shared house, prior to setting myself up with finding a new job and new pad, I hadn't informed my insurance company (theft happened within the first week of my move). They said claim was not legit because I'd not informed them of my change of address.

So although the loss adjuster was happy with my claim, the insurance company wouldn't payout and because my car had it's steering lock and door lock broken, they also classed my car as a right off, so I couldn't even re-insure my car and use it again. I'd always paid fully com and was shock that they could decide to right my car off into the process. The loss adjuster was disgusted and said he would support me take the case to the ombudsman, as such companies gave insurance companies a bad name. (I'd taken out insurance via the AA, but it turned out the AA had nothing to do with them or the policy). Anyway I had a lot of major stuff to deal with, finding a new job, new home etc, so I decided to not use up my emotional and physical energy on fighting them for what was likely to be a couple of hundred pound (car was a great little runner, no rust or probs, but was a good few years old, so little value as far as insurance company was concerned).

It left a bad taste in my mouth and I felt more robbed by them than by the lad who took my car to get home from the pub, the Police knew exactly where to find my car. So for a good few years I only bought cheap 2nd hand cars, taking out 3rd party, until I emotionally recovered. Then treated myself to a new car about 7 years ago as a birthday present to myself, but as my car is now getting old, I might need to go 3rd party again, as fully com seems to only be of any benefit while the car is still new(ist). So next Nov, I'll need to remember that and decide accordingly. I just don't see the point of replacing a totally good car, just because it is getting old in years, when their is little milage on it or any problems.

Sorry that I can't give any helpful advice, other than to say that they probably hope for folk like me, who decide it's not worth the trouble. As they will drag the case out, asking for more and more stuff as proof and stuff, just to frustrate you and to prevent them having to payout much. But one big difference is, they are just doing it in their work hours and don't really care how long it drags on for, whereas we have to find the time outside of the workplace and invest in the process emotionally. So if you have the time, then just treat it like a job and it's likely you will get a payout in the end. But as they will do their best to reduce the overall payout, expect it to take sometime.

Might be worth checking with the CAB?

Comment

Hi Ya
          Does she have any photos showing her wearing the items that have been stolen ? Or perhaps copies of any wills leaving her special items ?
          Did you / she tell the police about the things that have gone missing at all ?
          Deffo, a really really good idea to take photos of anything of value, and placed against a ruler, or similar, for scale.
          You can also now get DNA "paint" which you can coat special items with.
          Really sorry to hear about the break in Janyeo, the most important thing is that your mum is well, things can be replaced (as much as that might hurt), fit, well and live family and friends are a impossible to replace

Comment

PS this is an example of a product
            AlphaDot - Security Marking System
            I've not used it and so cannot offer a personal recommendation, but this type of marking is well worth thinking about

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X