Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaw'd help me........

me and my big mouth..........
    at our school governers meeting tonight i seemed to volunteer my services to help start a school gardening club.

so all you grapes out there with gardening club experience please point me in the right direction.

should i keep it simple, a couple of raised beds etc. should i include flowers. health and safety issues.

gosh i already feel stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this will be a battle from the heart
    cymru am byth

If you need any seeds pm me...I have tones and would be happy to help in any way I can Phil.

Comment

If you do, you get loads of resources which will take you through the whole thing, from the H&S audit through to seed saving. And everything inbetween...

Comment

Yee ha, Phil. Way to go. Now how is the lovely daughter doing?
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by phil the shed View Post
          should i keep it simple, ... should i include flowers. health and safety issues.
          a) of course
          b) yes, they love cutting flowers to give to Mums
          c) your teacher will guide you on H&S - the school and LEA have policies

I've done my school garden club for 6 months now. The problems I've found are:

1) behaviour. Children these days do not sit and listen, they run around, they don't concentrate, they hit each other. You need a good steady hand with you to maintain disclipline if you aren't used to supervising a dozen kids

2) 12 is my optimum number. We had 15 sign up, but there are always 2 or 3 who don't turn up

3) they tend to want one each of everything, although if that's unmanageable I split them into groups of 4 or 5. Out of an hour, I have 5 mins to explain at the start, then leave 15 mins at end for cleaning up (they do it, make them) and getting their coats & bags to go home

4) they love planting stuff, so even if you've only got bird seed to plant, it doesn't matter. They also love podding things, so have a steady supply of beans & peas

5) any other Qs, just ask

oh, and this is quite a useful read, while this one has other garden-related activities (we've had lots of rained off days so something they can do indoors is essential)
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-01-2011, 06:34 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Try to get your school dinner ladies involved too (you may have to TALK to them!)- if you can serve up food grown in the garden it's great!
            My school cook likes her veg presented very clean and bug free - slug nibbled lettuces won't be used (even though they're ok). But she is happy to cook pumpkins to elderberry flowers.
            We had a special school lunch last october for parents too with home made pumpkin soup for Halloween, parents very impressed!

Comment

Well done Phil, sure you'll enjoy it, even though it will be hard work and what fun for the children.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Well Done...although it's a little daunting I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

Most of TS's points ring true for our club too...the biggie being having something to do when it's raining,but also when the weather's fine and you're just waiting for stuff to grow.
                Ours is called 'Eco Club' so although the main emphasis is on growing fruit and veg we also have bug hunts,ladybird counts and leaf/flower identification.
                This year I'd like to develop a wildlife area.
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
                  If you need any seeds pm me...I have tones and would be happy to help in any way I can Phil.

Thanks GN.... the seeds are not an issue as i am already registered as a seed addict....lol
                  cymru am byth

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                    Yee ha, Phil. Way to go. Now how is the lovely daughter doing?
                    very well thanks jeanied, she's 5ft 9in and dances like a dream..

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    a) of course
                    b) yes, they love cutting flowers to give to Mums
                    c) your teacher will guide you on H&S - the school and LEA have policies

I've done my school garden club for 6 months now. The problems I've found are:

1) behaviour. Children these days do not sit and listen, they run around, they don't concentrate, they hit each other. You need a good steady hand with you to maintain disclipline if you aren't used to supervising a dozen kids

2) 12 is my optimum number. We had 15 sign up, but there are always 2 or 3 who don't turn up

3) they tend to want one each of everything, although if that's unmanageable I split them into groups of 4 or 5. Out of an hour, I have 5 mins to explain at the start, then leave 15 mins at end for cleaning up (they do it, make them) and getting their coats & bags to go home

4) they love planting stuff, so even if you've only got bird seed to plant, it doesn't matter. They also love podding things, so have a steady supply of beans & peas

5) any other Qs, just ask

oh, and this is quite a useful read, while this one has other garden-related activities (we've had lots of rained off days so something they can do indoors is essential)
                    thanks Ts dealing with the children is reasonably easier i am a cub and scout leader so i can deal with them on thier level. the numbers seem a good idea.

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post

thanks Zaz am checking it over

If you do, you get loads of resources which will take you through the whole thing, from the H&S audit through to seed saving. And everything inbetween...
                    Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                    Well done Phil, sure you'll enjoy it, even though it will be hard work and what fun for the children.
                    thanks Florence must get started loads to do/think about
                    cymru am byth

Comment

Everything above! Plus

1. Think outside the box! You may not get the funds needed to build raised beds ect straight away. As well as weekly after school and lunch time clubs organise one off sessions for adults too (bringing kids as well if they want!) such as Spring bulb plants, lasagne bed making morning (ours is in feb), herb sessions. Have a bring a conatiner and lets see what we can plant in it session!

2. Network your local community, churches, allotments local business for sponsership etc

3. Try and get a named teacher on board.

4. Get the kids to name the group and design a logo with a small prize such as window sill herbs

5. Get as many parents involved as poss! We have seperate activity organising meetings and a seperate general meeting to lok at funding resources etc. Try andf have diffeent times for these meeting so different people can attend.

6. Get a wig, as you could end up sighing and going grey like me!! Its good but without money its tough and peoples expectations are high, faboulous raised beds, selling veg ..etc. Keep remonding everyone that a garden does not grow overnight and you can grow a lettuce in a wellie boot!

7. Smile and look motivated even if you go on face book and sigh! Remeber all kids like playing in muck!
                      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Another thought.
                        If you grow more plants from seed than you have room to plant in your school garden have a little plant sale after school.Profits you make can go towards buying more stuff to use.
                        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Hi Phil you don't say what age this is geared towards, primary or comprehensive?

From experience with the former, planting is fun, weeding is not, watering gets everywhere.

If your group isn't too big having the children have their own pot which can be individually decorated, will allow them to grow what they like. A Mixture of quick growers and big leaf/tall plants are great. Colour is paramount in the very young, and if your not careful you won't know what is planted where. Aubergines I grew one year got mixed in with the pumpkins and died outdoors.

Peas are great, fab to eat and great fun to pick, but strawberries I would say are the best for keeping interest when watering becomes a necessity.

Have fun Phil, are you gonna make some pop bottle cloches?
                          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X