No announcement yet.

Debt collection query

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely anyone can knock on a door?, it's what they do when it is answered that may have legal implications....
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
      Surely anyone can knock on a door?, it's what they do when it is answered that may have legal implications....
      Absolutely right Hilary.

Problem is that the police can go two ways on these things. They can say to anyone calling them that debt recovery is a civil matter and not send the cops out. Or they can send officers out who decide to make an arrest using the Public Order Act.

If you employ someone to collect money for you, that person then becomes liable under different laws and you can become liable under the same laws. If things get physical as they often do, you can then be accused of conspiracy to commit an assault.

There is a small but significant number of people that exploit the debt recovery laws, which are designed to protect the debtor. The only real exception to that rule is that if the creditor is HM Government in its many guises. In which case the rule book goes out the window.

Court bailiffs often bend the rules to suit them and will deny any transgressions if you decide to take them to court or make allegations to the police. It is very much the debtors word against a court appointed Baillif. Gues which side the court will take? Can be a minefield.

Chopper.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
        Piskie are you the creditor to this client? or are you sourcing it for someone else, bit unclear from your post?
        Originally posted by MrsC View Post
        ...Don't send round anyone knocking on people's door it is illegal without this!
        The debt is owed to a large US client of mine, but the debt is against the UK office.

There is no mention of wanting or needing Baliff stage, to my knowledge.

This is a matter of me collating information on how our system (if we have one) works over here - I have to report back to US on Friday with my findings.
        Last edited by piskieinboots; 15-01-2011, 07:23 AM.
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

This might help a little in the prep of the report

Non- Court issue action
          Taking non-court action to collect debts | Business Link

Court action
          Recover debt through court | Business Link

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts