No announcement yet.

HFW Fish Fight

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't bought tinned tuna for 10 years (OH doesn't like it), I'm not keen on cod anyway (unfortunately OH is....), and mostly if I buy farmed salmon it is organic (barring 'buy it or it will be thrown away' prices).
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

An interesting article in the Guardian online this evening - seems like Hugh's Fish Fight is working, and with over half a million sign ups ... hopefully this campaign will not flounder. (sorry)

Sales of sustainable seafood soar in UK supermarkets | Environment | guardian.co.uk
      http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Support your local fishmonger!!

Anyone down here, I can recommend some in the Southampton/Portsmouth areas.

Comment

just signed up to the campaign......

hope it really makes an impact and continues to capture the imagination of the whole country....

next there will be a campaign for GYO veg!!!
          May the road rise to meet you,
          May the wind be always at your back,
          May the sun shine warm upon your face,
          The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
          Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

After watching this the next time I went shopping I bought some fresh sardines - just because I'm usually lazy and go for the usual - and they were lovely, though a bit smelly in the kitchen for a few hours after.

As for sodding Tesco they're always making green environmental claims - until they're found out by hugh and co - remember the 3 for a tenner chickens a few years ago.

francesbean
            My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

Watched most of the programmes, will they change my habits, I'm not sure.

I buy tinned tuna a lot, probably go through 3 to 4 tins a week, with littlun and myself loving tuna sandwiches.

I love mackeral, and am just starting to eat sardines too, eat salmon regularily, and cod occasionally, a bit of coley, bass less so.

I'm shocked by the practises, but should it stop me eating fish, I don't think it should. I love fish, I don't have a local fishmonger which is strange considering I live 2 miles from the sea.

The shark programme was shocking and a subject I had never come across before, I've never eaten shark fin soup, or would I pick it if it was on a menu.

Our sensibilities about animals are not the same as others around the world. Can we convince Asia to stop this barbaric exploitation of this species, I'm not sure.

Wow, what a downer.
              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                Support your local fishmonger!!

Anyone down here, I can recommend some in the Southampton/Portsmouth areas.
                Bit tricky round these here parts - can't remember the last time I saw one outside of a coastal town.

Tried the "fish counter" at Morrisons a while back (couple of years probably) - you know, the one that they so proudly advertise on the tellybox.

We selected our fish, and he told us to go do our shopping and come back afterwards and he'd fillet, and skin it for us.

Great we thought.

Picked up our fish and came home.

When it came to using the fish the next day we opened the foil bag only to discover something that might have been a fish in a former life.

Fishmonger? Butcher more like.

I digress.

I'm signed up to Hugh's campaign - in a time when the world is so short of food it seems ludicrous to throw half of any harvest back when it's perfectly fit for human consumption.
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                  Bit tricky round these here parts - can't remember the last time I saw one outside of a coastal town.

I'm signed up to Hugh's campaign - in a time when the world is so short of food it seems ludicrous to throw half of any harvest back when it's perfectly fit for human consumption.
                  Thats the point!!

The 'Fishmongers' in supermarkets are not trained at all, poor chap obviously bit of more than he could chew (not literally I hope ).
                  You should have complained though!

The campaign just passed half a million!!

Comment

This is just another aspect of life where man thinks they have got the right to treat everything else the way they want! Now don't get me wrong, I aint no tree hugger or vegetarian (thank goodness, only kidding to the veggies out there! ) but we should ensure that if we are catching food that it is used in the correct way. This isn't fishing, it's murdering (understandably not always the fishermans fault!). If we didn't use great big trawlers then we wouldn't have as much bycatch would we!

I went fishing for the very first time in october and caught 11 pollock and 2 dabs, enjoyed the day and enjoyed trying 2 new fish that I hadn't cooked with before. I reckon we all have to bear in mind the ethics when it comes to farming/harvesting from the sea and think about what we can do to help.

I buy free range chicken, not necessarily cos it always tastes better (but i think it does most of the time!) but because the animal hasn't suffered as much to give me a good dinner. Yes it costs more, but i'm just more economical and enjoy the meat more as a treat! I will now look more for line caught fish (or go get my own!).

Anyway, deep breath and rant over! I think Hugh and the other gents do a great job of bringing this to peoples attention and targeting the supermarkets is the best way. Look at morrisons now, they have virtually all free range eggs and the boiled eggs in their salads are now free range.

Another deep breath, sorry for the rant guys, going to go back over to the nice growing thread now and post something extremely happy and positive!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                      To add to the debate, what about farmed trout too? ( I bought some wild brown trout recently and the flavour is far superior! They were about 70p each more expensive than farmed rainbows)
                      When I was much younger I used to do alot of trout fishing and we used to eat alot of wild (or semi wild) trout. I stopped a long time ago, but when I started to eat farmed trout I was shocked by the difference, the farmed stuff is terrible compared to the other. Awful, I don't enjoy eating it.

Salmon, I don't mind so much it being farmed, probably because I've never eaten that much wild stuff.

I haven't seen wild trout being sold here. We're just in the wrong place completely for decent fish.
                      Last edited by womble; 19-01-2011, 08:59 AM.
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

We had a letter/ flyer from our local 'painsberrys' about their fish....do you think the supermarkets are starting to get just a little worried?
                        Way t'go Jamie, Hugh and Co
                        Last edited by Headfry; 19-01-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

A friend of mine with a young family and a tight budget treated the family to fish for lunch last Sunday as they all love it. It cost her much, much more than a joint of meat would have. All that fish being thrown away - it really puts it into perspective.
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                            When I was much younger I used to do alot of trout fishing and we used to eat alot of wild (or semi wild) trout. I stopped a long time ago, but when I started to eat farmed trout I was shocked by the difference, the farmed stuff is terrible compared to the other. Awful, I don't enjoy eating it.

Salmon, I don't mind so much it being farmed, probably because I've never eaten that much wild stuff.

I haven't seen wild trout being sold here. We're just in the wrong place completely for decent fish.
                            According to the Marine Conservation Soc we shouldn't be eating wild brown trout at all and actually the one we should be eating is properly done farmed rainbow trout.
                            Attached Files

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Anyone who missed Hugh's food fight all 3 episodes are now on 4oD click here
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

please all sign the petition! the policies are apalling

i fish recreationally from my own small boat with rod and line so i get plenty of sustainable caught fish (well sometimes!). lovely and fresh too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X