Who lets your New Year in?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
    My son will probably the the first one over the threshold - drunk after a party, quite tall (6ft ish) mousy coloured hair....
    Whats all this about coal and whisky?? (Remember I am a southerner! )
    the coal was for good luck, to make sure the house would always be warm,
    Last edited by bishop; 31-12-2010, 06:43 PM. Reason: cant spell alllllways

Comment

Originally posted by Currysniffa View Post
      More than likely the dog, not going anywhere we've just rented a film (Inception) I'm going to crack open a couple of cans and have a tot of the very nice brandy the father in-law gave me Christmas day.

Happy New Year All x

Chris
      Hope you enjoy the film! After you've watched it you can possibly tell me what its about as I've watched it and I haven't got a clue!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It will probably be me after I've been to out pick up the newspaper.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Hope you enjoy the film! After you've watched it you can possibly tell me what its about as I've watched it and I haven't got a clue!

Errr sorry can't help you there lol I enjoyed the film thought it was a bit like 12 monkeys you enjoy it but you can explain the plot lol

Happy New Year

Chris
          Last edited by Currysniffa; 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM.
          Chris

My Allotment Journal @
          Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
          -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Originally posted by bishop View Post
            the coal was for good luck, to make sure the house would always be warm,
            Oh I see, () well I have missletoe up which is quite lucky...and I wouldnt have a clue where to buy coal from round here anyway....I'll just take my chances

Comment

It's nearly half past two and no-one's been in or out yet! I'm hoping my daughter comes to visit soon. She's dark and very pretty, so might bring some luck in here. It could well also be me if I venture out to pull some parsnips.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Never heard of any of this first footing lark until I met OH and was at a party at his aunt's house and they forced his cousin (who was dark but rather short) outside. Don't think any coal was involved but he did moan he was cold as he wasn't let back in very quickly. Didn't really see the point to be honest but was glad it wasn't me

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                  First person through the door on New Year's Day? Intentional or unexpected? Our dogs used to be the dark and handsome ones who were let out at two minutes to midnight and then let back in as soon as midnight had passed. Sadly we have no dogs anymore, so I think I'll put himself out.
                  You just watch out Florence, he mightn't come back

Comment

As a nipper in Scotland and the North East, it was generally the next door neighbour, four sheets to the wind.

When I took The OH up to Scotland to meet the folks for the first time over Hogmanay, I told him he would have to first foot but neglected to explain....fully. He wasn't best pleased when my dad evicted him from in front of the fire (coal in hand) into a field of snow and sheep wearing nothing but jeans and a T shirt then locked the back door! By the time he'd ranted a bit then made it round the front, it was New Year so we let him in - and the whiskey made him feel better.

That was his welcome to the mad house so it's entirely his fault he decided to join!

Comment

Oh always blames the first foot for anything bad that happens that year. Last year it was the dog so she got it in the neck for 2010.

This year it was me, paddling around outside in my bare feet on the gravel looking for a non existant bit of coal! Finally found a rock and and took that in instead!
                      No doubt I'll get it in the neck later in 2011!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have never heard of any of this - but I don't like the idea that the tallest gets shoved outside with a lump of coal...

Only "footing" I ever remember as a kid was some old "rhyme" my dad used to quote to us (rather rapidly).

"He put his foot in the bucket, and footed the bucket about. The more he footed the bucket, the more o the bucket went out"

Nope, me either.
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                          You just watch out Florence, he mightn't come back
                          Ooh, I so wish I'd done it now!
                          Chester, my daughter's Springer Spaniel let mine in at six o'clock this evening!
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Moi! at very stoooooopid o'clock this morning and feeling very strange. (well very very drunk in all honesty, ya know dizzy, bit queasy with buzing ears) I was tall (5.11 in my heels) before I took me shoes off and was wearing predominately black clothes.

Comment

I'd never heard of First Foot, so had to look it up:

The most widespread national custom is that of first-footing.
                              This involves being the first person to enter the house of a friend or neighbour, thus becoming the first foot in the door. The first-foot is expected to bring suitable gifts to ensure good luck throughout the year. These may include:

A lump of coal - for warmth.
                              Cake or biscuits - to ensure the household never goes hungry
                              Salt - to bring wealth.

When presenting the lump of coal, the first-foot should say, 'Lang may yer lum reek', a traditional Scots good luck blessing for the long dark nights, literally translated as 'Long may your chimney smoke.'

It is important that the first-foot is a suitable person; the ideal first-foot is a tall, dark-haired stranger - this harks back to the days of the Vikings, when a blond-haired stranger arriving in the middle of the night wasn't usually good news.
                              Some traditionalists do insist that female first-foots are unlucky

So it's a Scottish tradition? And you can't first-foot yourself, it needs to be a friend or neighbour?
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Had to think quite hard as was quite merry by the time the new year showed itself, but it was me, which doesnt count, so it would have been our friends son, who is 9, and the shortest person in the house at the time.
                                When the bells strike here, my neighbouring farmers always have a fireworks display. We all trooped outside to watch it, but with the fog we couldnt see a flippin thing, so we all came back inside, me first followed by 9 year old.
                                No coal, no whisky and as blonde as blonde can be.
                                Apart from that, it was fine.
                                Bob Leponge
                                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X