No announcement yet.

Giving money as a christmas gift

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate giving money unless it's actually for something particular, similarily I don't particularly like getting it unless it's for a specific purpose. Part of giving a gift is spending time and love choosing it but there are times when it's either impractical to send or whatever and vouchers (or very occaisionally money) is a good way forward. I think I'd have to ask myself if I really really couldn't think what to buy somebody as I didn't know what they liked then why was I buying them a present anyway as I obviously couldn't be close. Having said that, I am giving two of my nieces either money or vouchers this Christmas, the first one has a voucher for one of her favourite shops (what I spend wouldn't buy her much and to be honest, from going in there today it was practically pitch dark so I couldn't really tell what I'd have been buying!) and her sister and her boyfriend are desperately saving for their wedding so have a small token gift and a monetary donation which will suit them well, couldn't give them something wrapped though, wouldn't be right if they didn't have a parcel under the tree

Oh, and no idea about the cheques, you'll have to ask the bank and even then it might vary from teller to teller.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I know that money seems lazy but you can also view it as the ultimate gift voucher - negotiable everywhere. I give all my nieces and nephews money and my sons and DIL to be, but they (the latter) also get a stocking of silly things and a hamper of home-made goodies. Siblings and parents get 'little' things - we have an agreement - can't spend more than £10. Works really well for us and keeps the cost down as I have a huge family and OH doesn't.

Comment

My dad gives me money every year, and every year it ends up being spent on the kids... I'd much rather he asked me what I wanted and got it, but he doesn't 'do' shopping

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          My dad gives me money every year, and every year it ends up being spent on the kids... I'd much rather he asked me what I wanted and got it, but he doesn't 'do' shopping
          or you could just get what you wanted and pretend he did it, so you dont spend it on the kids

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            I think I'd have to ask myself if I really really couldn't think what to buy somebody as I didn't know what they liked then why was I buying them a present anyway as I obviously couldn't be close.

Oooh no totally disagree with this. I'm extremely close to my husband(like you would be) but really struggled this year with what to get him. It isn't always about getting something that they like but simply the fact that a lot of people these days simply have enough stuff. Same with other family members - doesn't mean we're not close. My brother's birthday is on Christmas Day which makes it doubly difficult, so I usually get him a pressie for Christmas and cash for his b-day.

Last year I got him Cash Vouchers™. (ie money), printed an envelope (to put it in) on the computer with a paragraph of terms and conditions stating where he could spend the money (ie everywhere) and restrictions on spending it (ie on the kids, his girlfriend, work related stuff etc) He was pretty chuffed with it. If I get cash I tend to keep it separate, in an envelope until I can think of something special to buy, but I think my brother just sticks it in his wallet and spends it on booze

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X