No announcement yet.

Are you planting too early?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have four rows planted so far after planting I have earthed up which means the spuds will take 4 to 6 weeks before they see daylight after they appear I will be keeping an eye on the weather and ready with the fleece just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
      I have four rows planted so far after planting I have earthed up which means the spuds will take 4 to 6 weeks before they see daylight after they appear I will be keeping an eye on the weather and ready with the fleece just in case.
      I'm jealous!!

Been doing a bit digging and weeding here and the soil still feels really cold! Think I'll hang fire until Easter for planting my tatties and I'll STILL worry about frost!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Glad its not just me! there are other lottie holders who have things poking out of their soil - and I havent even finished my beds yet! (just wait till sunday!). Having said that, have plenty of tatties chitting in the in greenhouse and have planted a few seeds.....methinks common sense should prevail. DDL
        PS Snadger - dont tell me about frost and tatties - it completely killed of my christmas tatties -a lesson well learned!
        Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 10-03-2007, 05:37 AM.
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Not yet!
          Must remember to check the fields today to see if the farmers have planted their spuds - should be a good indicator for this area.
          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM. Reason: trying to type before drinking coffee - can't spell!!
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Snadger, my earlies went in yesterday, just planted a little deeper.
            Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
              Snadger, my earlies went in yesterday, just planted a little deeper.
              You managed to get through the permafost then Geordie??
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

There are three large seed potato producers in this area and they haven't even taken delivery of their seed tatties yet - another fortnight or so before they will even think about putting their machines onto the ground.
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Darn it, was so busy trashing my garden I forgot to check the fields when I was out today. Will try to remember tomorrow.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Update - the Pembrokeshire earlies are indeed in the ground!
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

My late father always put in his potatoes around St. patricks day and he never had any problems, so i tend to do the same. So far so good. No they're not in yet because i have'nt had the time to plant them yet.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Our last frost is in the 2nd week in April, for the last 2 years anyway...so my first taters have already gone in, (all this sunshine has made me a bit premature)
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X