No announcement yet.

High-Energy Snacks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had stomach issues since the '80s, starting with an ulcer and then acid reflux which I've had for years. I take daily prescribed medication which really does keep it under control.

I do feel that 1000 calories is very low - for anyone!

I would also suggest that 'hardly eating' all day apart from fruit is not a really good way to manage it. Food (for us with AR issues) should be eaten small and often.

As to what to eat, you will need to experiment on that one - I can eat pretty much what I want (as long as I take the meds) but I couldn't eat masses in one sitting.

I really really couldn't go all day on just fruit - that would really get the gastric juices flaring up.
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

You certainly can't carry on as you are. What nonsense. I would also push your doctor. Insist!!!

Comment

Can't help with this beyond advising you to change the type of banana. If you try bananas from the Caribbean you will find they are less chalky. Dominican Republic, or Windward Isles bananas are smaller and have a totally different texture to those from other places.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
          I really really couldn't go all day on just fruit
          me neither. I snack on dry cereal or these by Hugh
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I sufferer with AR,to the point were i go beyond gag,thanks to a hyatus hernia,a few years ago when i lost a few stone,it went,but is back with avengenge the last month,(i have put some extra wight on)if it's just very bad heart burn,milk is soothing,especialy at bed time,yesterday was orible,so bad had to dash t bathroom,all before having anything , so had just warmed milk for breakfast,and bread&milk for lunch,all drinks nearly cold & siped,by eavening meal,was ok again had mash spuds and veg,am fine since,i find weetabix,shredd wheat,regular use of bran products,oats,vinegar,even dried pulses,cream,toms,and most spirits lol, can send me in obit,it seems to strike without warningBUT,as others have said,a little of one or the other here and there is acceptable,but not everyday,or indeed two or more of things,i am learing bit by bit,
            hope you get something sorted soon,
            Last edited by lottie dolly; 06-12-2010, 11:57 AM.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

I've been to a gastroenterologist and he has referred me for an endoscope which I am waiting for. I've been tested for lactose intolerance, coeliac disease and helicobacter pylori but these were negative.

My GP really is useless. He will not refer me to a dietician as he is one of those 'old school' docs who thinks you should ignore the symptoms and get on with it. Heaven knows I've tried.

So, I'm going to go back to my GP and tell him that I really can't go on like this. I'll say 'you either help me or I find a GP who will'.

Originally posted by Dottie View Post
              Originally posted by Cosmo and Dibs View Post
              I eat whatever the rest of the family eat- your standard meals. Spuds, salads, pasta, etc.

Well if you can eat standard stuff, then why not just take a portion of food from the night before to work the next day?
              Because I have a digestive disorder which leaves me with extreme bloating, nausea and distension. I eat this normal food at home because I can go and lie down after eating and let the effects wear off. I can't do that at work as I'm constantly on my feet. If I did, I'd end up feeling just awful.

Comment

My GP really is useless. He will not refer me to a dietician
                I don't trust GPs (esp. locums) although my latest is OK.

One told me I couldn't possibly have depression because life is much harder in his native country
                Another told me I didn't have depression because I "looked fine"
                OH's told him he had asthma (he didn't, his blood pressure tablets had just given him a problem)
                Another treated me 3 months for a mouth ulcer which turned out to be cancer ...

Get a 2nd opinion.

Change GP: you don't need to give a reason why How do I change my GP?
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

are you allergic to anything you shouldnt be eating becasue the bloating and distension sound like you are...

Comment

Hi Cosmo,
                    I suffer from reflux, which used to be very bad (and as a result, as TS mentions, from H Pylori, the HP can be diagnosed from a simple blood test and treated with common antibiotics) but the wonder drug for me is losec (medi name - omeprazole) stops all acid, more or less, and lets me get on with life. Also not eating exacerbates the reflux as the stomach has nothing to work on. Insist on a test for HP and also a trial of omeprazole.
                    "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

That is similar to the one I'm on T8Ter - it's Lansoprazole, works really well.
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Thanks again.

I've tried omeprazole and lansaprozole, and been tested for h.pylori. None of them have come up trumps.

Comment

So, which snacks can offeran energy shot? (Apart from chocolate and bananas!). This is only a short term fix as I am changing GP.

Comment

So, which snacks can offeran energy shot?
                            Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            I snack on dry cereal or these by Hugh
                            I don't know if you missed this, or already discounted it

Comment

Surely you don't just want a quick energy fix? That leads to seesawing blood sugar, which might actually be aggravating the problem.
                              You may be needing to avoid wheat, and/or dairy (common causes of not-strictly-an-allergy response, which often lead to digestive weirdities) or something else for the same sort of reason.
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                                Surely you don't just want a quick energy fix? That leads to seesawing blood sugar, which might actually be aggravating the problem.
                                I agree with this - quick energy is fine for athletes but not us 'normal' folks.
                                aka
                                Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X