Help with White Shirts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you dry them on the line outside?
    Although it isn't a total miracle worker I discovered how good a bit of Sunshine is to bleach whites back to white when the kiddies were in nappies.

(of course for that to work we need sunshine)
    Last edited by di; 21-11-2010, 05:54 PM.
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Are you sure the shirts have to be white?
      If you get one with a red fleck in it would hide the bolo sauce stains!
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
        Unfortunately, that's the company dress code... all non-warehouse-floor staff (i.e. management, admin etc) are in white shirts/tops (including women). I think it's because the warehouse floor staff are in various colour tops depending on their job/role, so it makes people on a fairly dangerous warehouse floor easy to spot and see what they are doing, e.g. warehouse floor managers have a blue polo shirt, pickers are in green, drivers in orange etc.

Friday is technically a dress-down day, however, if they have prospective clients etc, then they are back to shirt and tie.

I do the washing, cos he does all the stuff I hate - cleaning the bathroom, ironing, vacuuming etc... not a bad trade off really
        Kind of makes sense but worth a try

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Another one to recommend Napisan and I have psoriasis so good for sensitive skin. As another tip if you get grease on a white shirt (like forklift grease) if you rub butter on it looks terrible but will every last bit out in the wash.
          If at first you don't succeed .. try and not be too surprised.

http://allotmenttime.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi, have you tried putting a dish washer tablet in with your white wash ? Seems to work well on my work shirts.

Got the tip off some forum a while ago, apparently cheffie types use it to keep their whites, white.

regards

Comment

Get yourself some Aeriel liquitabs and a tub of vanish extra white. Give them a good washing, then wash again in your non bio. You'll need sunglasses. There's no secret about keeping whites really bright. You have to use the modern stuff. I only like white sheets and duvet covers and have no problem with this method.
              Last edited by Patchninja; 22-11-2010, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Persil non-bio has always been recommended by the Excema Society...I know there are others o the market- but I've never tried them.
                Wicked, I'll have to check it out. I've got no idea what I'm allergic to in washing powder, I know I'm allergic to most perfume so I have to have non-purfumed ones (which limits me a lot) and I recently started getting eczma on my legs and arms quite bad so I'm guessing theres something in the powder

And I bought some of that vanish oxi action crystal white and it didnt really work - but do you have to do it a few times to get it white again? Looked up that dylon stuff but after a postcode search "Unfortunately no results were found based on your search criteria. Please try widening your search criteria and repeating the search process." Gah. I'll keep trying the oxy stuff but Im not sure weither thats whats making me itch like crazy (since its got waaay worse since i used it!)

Comment

Fairy non-Bio, C*-*p own non-Bio, Tezzie non-Bio all fine for me too. I buy what is cheapest. Fabric softener can be a real irritant too!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I always use a scoop of vanish oxy-action in the white wash. I also never wash the whites above 40c as modern fibres don't really need it and things do seem to wear out/ look grubby quicker when washed at hotter temperatures. My son's shirts get pretty grubby ( he's a football loving 13 year old who usually comes home with half his lunch down his front). So far I've never had to replace a shirt through wearing out, only through him growing out of them.

Comment

I would second the 'Bio-Tex then non-bio wash' idea. I don't know why Bio-tex doesn't cause itches, add all the 'conventional' biological powders do, but it works for me! Vanish bar is good too (especially on shirt collars).
                      I tend to find the occasional 'boil wash' helps keep cottony things white, maybe once a month? Don't know about the really modern fabrics, although the early 'artificial fibres' certainly did tend to go yellow if washed too hot....
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Poor you with eczema. Horrible. BUT, it may be caused by something other than washing powder. It's not always the culprit, and so often blamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                          Poor you with eczema. Horrible. BUT, it may be caused by something other than washing powder. It's not always the culprit, and so often blamed.
                          I know there are other potential causes, but I know when I got a problem it was the biological powder, because it started when Ecover went bio, and I didn't realise the stuff had changed until I had had the rash for a week, then I saw it on the packet, yes, it started the day after my bedclothes had been washed with the new product!
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I find soap powders with lavender scents in them make me itch etc. but most others I'm O.K. with.
                            Re: the white shirts, I only wash O.H.'s on 30 degrees with other light colours & they come out fine. If the collars or cuffs look very dirty I rub them with a damp bar of soap before sticking them in the machine. Any colour runs usually come out with one or other of the liquid run remover products, I had a very good one but it went out of production & a few of them have changed their names now but you should find them next to the soap powders etc.
                            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                              I know there are other potential causes, but I know when I got a problem it was the biological powder, because it started when Ecover went bio, and I didn't realise the stuff had changed until I had had the rash for a week, then I saw it on the packet, yes, it started the day after my bedclothes had been washed with the new product!
                              Gah, that got me too. Had to stop using it

Theres lots of things I'm allergic to, but I can trace them all if you see what I mean. The exma, is baffling me though. I have awful circulation and its worst in my legs so that probably isn't helping this disguisting patch on my shin now thats about half the size of my hand. Whole body itches too, even my scalp. Its rubbish! I'm just greatful mine is only on my legs which don't see the light of day, ever.

Anyone else have exma, what products do you use to wash and wash clothes? I really struggle to find stuff for washing. I use sanex (blue one) and T-gel for hair at moment which seems to be OK...but stumped on the washing powder

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                                I recently started getting eczma on my legs and arms quite bad
                                Mine started as a child, and flares up every winter. Cutting out dairy for a few months really helped

I bought some of that vanish oxi action crystal white and it didnt really work
                                It needs to soak for several hours, probably overnight

Looked up that dylon stuff but ... "Unfortunately no results were found
                                Bonds, or Anglian Fashion Fabrics on Magdalen St
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X