No announcement yet.

bobbins...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right Flum!!...I just had a Google!

...and good ol' Hugh FW has a recipe for sheeps lungs...pig must be much the same!!??

ewww.....

AND....do you know what????
    We went for a lovely walk the other day and came home to an open wood fire and a bowl of home made soup and bread...ah bliss I here you say....until I asked my OH what something was- and passed it over on my spoon ( no specks on ya see)...yup- was a green and yellow fully cooked caterpillar

It's not my week is it???
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Eeeeeeewwwwwww! Thanks Nicos!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Same thing happened to me with broccoli - clabrese- I haven't grown it since....

Comment

nice touch on the bartering too

Comment

A "bobbin" to us is something nice brought back from an outing. As in " be good and I'll bring you back a bobbin"
            I haven't a clue where this came from though.

Comment

bobbins Noun. Rubbish, nonsense, useless. Manchester rhyming slang for rotten, from bobbins of cotton. E.g."That meal was bobbins, next time we'll eat at home."
              This, as a southerner, I had always understood the term.
              The things you learn on here....
              Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                Same thing happened to me with broccoli - clabrese- I haven't grown it since....
                I remember finding HALF a caterpillar in HALF an M&S cauli once: I posted it back to the store I was that unimpressed. I had also had a bunch of black maggots in a banana from the same store so was feeling a bit hard done by
                (being a vegetarian, and not wishing to consider where the other half now was)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Creep out under cover of darkness and bury it in the field How vile!!!
                  Last time we bought 1/2 a pig here, the lady handed me an eyeball! When I squeaked that I didn't really need it, she just dropped it into her apron pocket. aarrgghh

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
                    bobbins Noun. Rubbish, nonsense, useless. Manchester rhyming slang for rotten, from bobbins of cotton. E.g."That meal was bobbins, next time we'll eat at home."
                    This, as a southerner, I had always understood the term.
                    The things you learn on here....
                    I use the term bobbins to mean rubbish. I haven't heard of Manchester rhyming slang!
                    I think I picked it up in Scotland.
                    http://www.keithsallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Interesting that the same word can have totally opposite slangish meanings in different places. I know "that's bobbins" as a term of approval!
                      BTW, I wouldn't want the lung for 'own' use, but if cooking it for dog or cat, ROAST it rather than boiling, the smell is a lot less unpleasant!
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                        BUT - what the chuff has it got to do with Bobbins!!!?

I nearly didn't read this thread because I thought it was a sewing machine query!
                        I concur! i thought it was lacemaking

Binley really does Know best!
                        G4-Meteorological mastermind! Stone/String it's all covered!
                        Jeanied- Makes your day complete!!
                        PB- Masteress of Pumpkins!

I Don't Know who Dave is...But he's one cool Dude!
                        I Once was a Tuber but with a little practice!!

Comment

AFAIK its a contraction of Manchester rhyming slang ..... "bobbin of cotton" = rotten
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X