decorating advice now please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    Good grief gal- that's a fantastic job you've done!!!

...love the phone wires!
    I agree, that's brilliant TS, really well done. I like the colours too
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I am so pleased that you have got the bug and it is no longer a chore. Changing the look of your habitat is so creative and personal. Thank goodness my man has always left it up to me.
      So what is the next project?

Comment

Well done Two Sheds, you did a really great job. I'm sure you're really pleased with yourself.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Very nice job!

Comment

Thanks guys, I have the dado to finish tonight: I didn't like the white and have done one coat of 'toffee', but I think I'll need 3, it's pretty translucent
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

so long as it isn't still sticky

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                (some of the chunks I pulled off weren't quite set, I swear)
                That is quite possible TS,every subsiquent coat of oil based paint applied (beyond primer) partially softens the previous coats,this is due to the manner in which oil paint dries & is the reason it is said to be "touch dry" & is also the reason that a maximun 5 year period is recommended between coatings (particularly exterior) as when the aged coats truly dry they harden & contract which then manifests itself as cracking & flaking.
                So basically it`s a good thing

In case anyone is interested.

1st stage is Evaporation,of the solvent
                2nd stage is Oxydation,of the oil & drier (the point at which a small amount of solvent is trapped)
                3rd stage is Polymerisation,basically the linking of all the pigment,oil & drier molecules to form polymer chains.
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

congrats TS on a job well done!!!

i might even offer you a job one day!!

travel time would be a nightmare though!!!
                  May the road rise to meet you,
                  May the wind be always at your back,
                  May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                  The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
                  Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

nice job

Comment

That was interesting bb....I wondered why British outdoor paint doesn't do well over here- it bubbles and flakes very quickly in the intense summer heat....French paint is much more powdery- even the outdoor ones....and last for years and years!

Any piccies of the finished job TS ????...you're clearly a 'natural' when you turn your hand to anything artistic!!
                      ( I bet you're a brill artist too???)
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        That was interesting bb....I wondered why British outdoor paint doesn't do well over here- it bubbles and flakes very quickly in the intense summer heat....French paint is much more powdery- even the outdoor ones....and last for years and years!
                        Thanks Nicos,my advise would be for you to use locally sourced paint as formulations can vary enormousely particularly those developed for particular usage.
                        It may well be that the local paint is formulated to allow a low amount of moisture absorbsion to help prevent the wood from cracking under direct sunlight(bubbleing of oil based paint is quite often a sign of substrate moisture retention which is turned to steam by the heat of the sun which then forms a blister in the paint film).
                        Also it may be prudent for you to check the local waterbased (wall)paints as they may still be using lime based soft or hard distempers to allow the flow of air & moisture,particularly if your house is built with beach sand or solid stone wall with lime motar filling or both
                        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Yep- house built from granite with clay to stick the stones together!!

We're just hemp and lime insulating one section- then a layer of lime and sand- then for the top coat powdered marble and lime- with natural pigments for colouring. All that is - as you say -to allow the walls to breathe.
                          Emulsion and local paints for the rest of the house.

It's certainly nowhere as neat at TS's work though
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X